Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is it really dangerous?

Posted by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 1:11 AM
  • 5 Replies

I know they say not to put anything with the baby while she is sleeping, but that is for babies who sleep! My babygirl doesn't sleep at night so is it okay to put a pillow under her head while she lays down looking around? She has pretty bad acid reflux so she is suppose to be upright at a certain angle, we have an incline snuggle nest but she prefers a couch pillow under her head, I stay with her all the time, I just wonder if it would really be dangerous for me to walk away?

by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 1:11 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
mimanchibella
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 1:14 AM

Try putting something under the mattress... You could even stuff the pillow under there, it isnt a matter of an incline that is a concern, but a pillow is soft and God forbid if she would roll over, she may suffocate. We used foam under DS for awhile, it worked really well and was still safe!

kgsharber
by Bronze Member on Jan. 2, 2009 at 1:15 AM

That is probly one of the worst things you could put in with her. You need to incline the bed from the feet outside of it (I know then she slips to the bottom) but that is a BIG no-no.

mommyetch
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 1:16 AM

My daughter had alot of upper resperatory problems when she was a baby and our Ped. said to put a pillow under one end  of her matteress so that she could be elevated (a little). Just talk to your Ped. to see what is best for your child. Best of luck!

mom2ljh
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 1:17 AM

I wouldn't put a pillow in with her.  It is truly dangerous.  What we did for my son was take a memory foam pillow, nice and thick, and placed it under the head end of his mattress.  It gave him a good bit of incline and helped a lot with him sleeping at night.  He did slide to the bottom some, but it was far safer than propping him up on the pillow.

He didn't get a pillow until 15 months, and then it was a very thin, firm pillow, nothing soft of puffy.

Amanda~Cloth Diapering, Non-Spanking, Attached Mommy to my little miracle, Landon Joel, born 6 weeks too soon, 6-21-07, former refluxer, multiple food allergies, coolest kid on the block!

Then                                           Now

sylviapike26
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 1:19 AM

The best way to do it is use an extremely firm pillow or put it under the mattress.  My son has asthma so he has to be elevated.  He slept with a pillow under him at 8 months til now.  He is 20 months now.  You can also elevate the crib with bricks under the legs.

babies
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)