Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weaning to bottle at 11 months

Posted by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 12:51 PM
  • 9 Replies

Hello everyone, I'm new and need some help. I have a good friend who told me CafeMom would be good for feeling like I'm part of a mom community. I live in a small town and motherhood has sort of isolated me.

We had a tough Christ: I had to wean my son, Griff, from daytime nursing suddenly. Though it was a long time in coming, I developed an infection that made it unhealthy for both he and I to nurse so much. Griff's been taking bottles for months at day care. But when I tried replacing his normal nursng times with bottles he went on a HUNGER STRIKE. It's been ten days now and the most I can get into him at a time is 2 or 3 ounces. His daddy tries the bottle too and he'll take it at first but then get fussy and push it away after a few ounces. It's getting very stressful. BUT at day care he's drinking a bunch, sometimes 15 ounces.

Does anyone out there have experience with this? Any hints on getting baby to take bottle from the momma he's always nursed from. It's been tough emotionally to go from his sole source of nourishment (well, except for solids) to the person my son WON'T accept a bottle from.

Help!

Fodderwing

by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 12:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
avajeansmomma
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 12:53 PM

I got my daughter to take sippy cups with the soft rubbery spout. I'd give that a try.. she never wanted bottles either. Good luck!

-Gina

notjstanothrmom
by Silver Member on Jan. 2, 2009 at 12:55 PM

I'd take him to the doctors... 2-3 ounces a day is not good for a baby. Is he eating a lot of table foods or drinking juice at least to keep him hydrated?

Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Like to clean? Need to clean? Join my group!

Getting Clean & Staying Clean!

sweetscrappin
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 1:26 PM

please tell me he's eating foods... one thing to keep in mind, if they are eating baby food, and cereals, they are at least getting water, up to a couple of ounces... on my chart for babies... at that age, is 20-24 ounces.. your almost there... i would call your doctor now, and get he/she's advise, that way they can better treat this, especially if its over the phone.. my son is 6 months, almost and we just introduced him to his sippy cup, and so far so good.. have you tried one?

Lilypie 1st Birthday PicLilypie 1st Birthday Ticker
JBGmom
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 1:30 PM

Quoting avajeansmomma:

I got my daughter to take sippy cups with the soft rubbery spout. I'd give that a try.. she never wanted bottles either. Good luck!

yah i got my son one of those he loves it... ge whews on the rubber i think it feels good on his gums. and it has a ruber handle the one i have GERBER makes it and i bought it at TARGET

sk_tennyson
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 1:30 PM

Skip the bottle, go to  sippy. Try a Nuby with a soft spout or maybe even a straw.

CafeMom Admin
by Gold Member on Jan. 2, 2009 at 1:34 PM

Hi Fodderwing,

Welcome to the Advice for Moms group on CafeMom.

We're happy you've joined the conversation.

Enjoy!

\\ The CafeMom Admin Team

ksinclair
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 1:37 PM

I would also say just go to the sippy cup.  He can switch over to whole milk at 11 1/2 months & should be taking most of his nutrients from regular food by then.  Best of luck!

Fodderwing
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 3:29 PM

Thanks for responding to my post. I'm trying a sippy (need to get one with soft spout), but how can I make sure he's getting enough liquid that way?

Do you offer the sippy at mealtimes and your little one just drinks it all?Griff is so active: he sips and crawls away!

thanks for any help,
Leigh Anne    

ksinclair
by on Jan. 6, 2009 at 2:13 PM

I usually give Jacob milk for breakfast, lunch & supper & then give him some juice at snack times.  I just let him have a sippy cup of water around that he always has access to for whenever he gets thirsty.  Just make sure that once he starts getting a little older that you're not giving him liquids past about 1 - 1 1/2 hours before you put him in his night diaper so you don't have a leak-through in the middle of the night!  I would call your pedi & see what they recommend for total daily intake of milk & juice for your  little one's age.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)