Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Help needed...

Posted by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 1:08 PM
  • 13 Replies

Okay ladies I need your help.  My son has been showing signs of wanting to potty train for months and I finally decided to try it.  I have the big boy undies....although I only have like three pairs....and I have them on him right now.  I was thinking that every 10 mins or so I will take him and sit him on the potty and tell him to go potty.  He loves to read so I thought that I would hand him a book and let him sit there til he decides he is done.  This is my first baby potty training, so I feel kind of lost.  I don't really know what to do.  I would love if he is potty trained before his brother comes in March.  So please help me ladies....I need your expertise.  Also, does a reward system work?  Do you use that?

babies
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 1:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
magna45
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 1:19 PM

How old is he?? Boys are a little slower on potty training than girls, however, if he is showing signs of wanting to go, then go for it!!  Can he hold it for a good length of time? What I am asking is, is his diapers dryer for a lot longer??

I would take him every 15 minutes, you want him to get the concept of feeling what it is like to have to go, and then actually doing it....am I making sense?

So if he can't go, turn on water for him, that usually makes them go. And yes by all means use the reward system, just make sure that if you use like M&M's that he only gets those after he does potty. And that is the only time he gets an M&M.

Hope it helps, I have potty trained 4 children...he will catch on quickly...

Deb

sylviapike26
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 1:19 PM

BUMP

babies
bluescape
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 1:20 PM

i used to put mine on the potty at times during the day when you'd usually expect her to do it...pee-pee is a whole lot easier to gauge than poo of course, but hey, one small victory at a time. shortly after eating breakfast, then maybe midmorning (especially if they'd had a snack by then) after any meal, really...and of course, b4 and after sleeping! good luck--but you sound like you have a good headstart if he's already showing signs of wanting to go!

portakolis08
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 1:22 PM

Have a potty party day!

There are a lot of fun ideas on the web! Buy a couple of more big boy underwear and buy him a teddy bear to "toilet train" he does it and shows his bear how to do it..

Then when he has mastered it..have a special "celebration".

sylviapike26
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 1:23 PM

He is 20 months old.  I know that seems early, but he will bring me a new diaper when he is wet or dirty.  He will be dry for a big part of the day.  I maybe change his diaper a total or three or four times a day.  He will stay dry all night and then he will wake up in the morning and fill his daiper after about 10-15 mins of being awake.  I am not pushing it, I just want to see if he is ready or not and see if it will work.  If it works, then great.  If it doesn't, then oh well we will try again later.

babies
magna45
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 1:28 PM

Oh yes he is ready, my daughter was like that at a year, and she was fully potty trained day and night within 3 days.....I say go for it.

Deb

sylviapike26
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 1:47 PM

Thanks ladies....We have already had an accident, but I didn't say anything, just took him and sat him on the potty and changed his undies.  I need to go to the store and get some more, but have to wait til my hubby gets home.  I am just trying to get him used to the idea of the potty if nothing else.  Also, ladies with boys...Did you find it easier to have your hubby/SO take your lil guy into the bathroom with him?  I mean I can't really show him how to hold his little package and maybe after he sees how Daddy does it, he will want to do it like that too.

babies
magna45
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 1:51 PM

That helps for when he is older, he will sit for a while, and trust me you want him to sit...LOL

Just make sure his package is directed down and in the toilet...But when he is older, yes let dad show him how it is done.

Deb

angelgrl5200
by Member on Jan. 2, 2009 at 1:55 PM

woo hoo sounds like hes ready!! Im training my DD's they are 29 months, i have been attempting this since they turned 2, lol.....2 weeks ago i went and got panties and since then its been all up hill, they do have accidents, maybe 2 or 3 a day, but for the most part they do pretty good. I make sure i have them on the toilet about every 20 to 30 min, and deffinantly right before and after naps/bedtime and about 10 min before and 10 min after lunch and dinner....... One of my DD still wakes up wet in the morning though, not sure whats wrong with that?

Mom to 7!! DS tristan-8 SS joey-8 SS johnny-7 DD nicole-5 DS collin-3 and twin DD hailey and elizabeth-2 1/2 and SO to joe of 5 years

sylviapike26
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 1:59 PM

Okay ladies so in the past like 20 mins he has had three accidents.  I didn't make a big deal about it just said, "UH oh let's go sit on the potty."  It seemed like every time I put him on there he would get up and shortly after he would have an accident.  Do you think it is just cause his little package is getting more air and that is why he is peeing so often?  He never pees this often in a day.  I am trying to have him sit there as long as I can, but I don't want to force it and make him get frustrated.  I am out of undies, doing a load of laundry now, but am still going to do it with the diaper.  Am I doing something wrong?  Sorry for all the questions, I am new at this...bare with me...

babies
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)