Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

4 months old and walking?

Posted by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 1:24 PM
  • 18 Replies

ok this is really really weird but sisne my ds was about a month old hes bee really into standing n trying to take steps. so as u may figure my husband and myself will support him and the majority of his weight n let him do his thing. well last night while ds and i were in the living room, we were sitting in front of my mirror so he could talk to his relfection ya kno. and all sudden he was getting ancy so i stood him up, he was a good 5 steps from the mirror! and as i went to turn my head next thing i know hes going for it so of course i let him.. he didntall over or nothing, although im right there to brace him if he needed it!!! but he was free of my hands entirely. so he took a few steps toward the mirror and then grabbed it n well tried to eat off his reflection while he yelled n screetched at it... i was laughing so hard i almost peed my pants! :) but then i was  so proud at once. mean while hes eating n screetching n well its just a flimbsy mirro u hang on the back of a door n what not, and hes trying to walk n take off with it. so i had to stop him then. i didnt wan anyone getting hurt. and YES I WAS NO MORE THEN A HAND REACH AWAY THE ENTIRE TIME! but god! prying the miror from him was harder then anything.. once i go it. he stood there for like 5 seconds b4 he fell to his butt. he seems fine, legs still work, and hes been trying to do it again sinse. but being that this is my first baby i dont know if things like that should be done constantly.. i know his bones arent that strong yet right? or are they? what would you do. hes got to be atleast 17-18 pounds and 28 or so inches long. hes a big boy, but he just turned 4 months the 30th. amazed and freaked out all in one? somone tell me somthing lol please

by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 1:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
rphmommy08
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 1:27 PM

oh wow! sounds like he is ready to take off..lol. my son is 6 1/2 months old and if you hold him up he will take steps too. he has one of those things they stand behind and push and if we hold around his chest and stomach area he will push it and take steps. one leg at a time..its sooo cute.. he has always liked standing up position too since he was very little.

Mommy2ZOEBETH
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 1:29 PM

I think that if his bones are not strong enough and he keeps trying to walk  there is a possibility of bowlegs and spinal problems.I would try to deter him for a couple more months.Maybe try putting him in a bouncer or jumpy swing where he can rest his legs if he needs to.

brettleysmommy
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 1:31 PM

DD was the same way... well she wasnt walking that early, at 5 months she was walking with one hand held... I would continue to support him, but I wouldnt push it. I would try to limit it, because it can be bad for their legs, standing that early for long periods of time. I would just keeping working on it. Maybe encourage him to crawl instead of walk, or to hold on to furniture when he wants to walk. I would ask your pedi next time you go, and just take it easy. DD was standing with absolutely no help at 8 months and walking/running at 9 months.

I'm a married, natural birthing, bottle-feeding, co-sleeping, non-spanking, non-vaccinating, front face seating,  disposable diapering child led parenting teen mom of one beautiful daughter.  I'm a pro-life, strong willed, debt-free, book loving,  believer in God. Try and Change me.

dkaam05
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 1:32 PM

My MIL says that my boyfriend and his brother were walking along furniture at 4 months.   There legs are fine, so I wouldn't be freaked out.  If he wants to go let him go, just make sure there is nothing around he can hit if he falls.

Jodie1128

DOES YOUR SON ALREADY SIT UP MY HIMSELF?

chelsie_lyn

I've always heard that the whole bow legged thing was a myth... my dd did the same thing and is fine and RUNNING at 11 months. idk though my mom told me that too... id ask his dr.

Quoting Mommy2ZOEBETH:

I think that if his bones are not strong enough and he keeps trying to walk there is a possibility of bowlegs and spinal problems.I would try to deter him for a couple more months.Maybe try putting him in a bouncer or jumpy swing where he can rest his legs if he needs to.

JBGmom
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 1:34 PM

OMG at 4 mos!! r u kidding me?? my baby didnt learn to crawl until he was 6mos at 4 mos he had jus masterd rolling over  

sk_tennyson
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 1:37 PM

It is a myth. Walking actually helps babies get rid of the bowleggedness  they are born with from being cramped in the womb.

Quoting chelsie_lyn:

I've always heard that the whole bow legged thing was a myth... my dd did the same thing and is fine and RUNNING at 11 months. idk though my mom told me that too... id ask his dr.

Quoting Mommy2ZOEBETH:

I think that if his bones are not strong enough and he keeps trying to walk there is a possibility of bowlegs and spinal problems.I would try to deter him for a couple more months.Maybe try putting him in a bouncer or jumpy swing where he can rest his legs if he needs to.

Mommy2Allanah
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 1:41 PM

DANG! My 15 month old cant even walk yet... She still "walks" holding onto things... :(

Brandie_xo
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 1:45 PM

Quoting Mommy2ZOEBETH:

I think that if his bones are not strong enough and he keeps trying to walk  there is a possibility of bowlegs and spinal problems.

Not true.

My daughter is fully vaccinated so yours doesn't have to be!

You're Welcome.

baby

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)