Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Transitioning from two naps to one - help

Posted by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 2:30 PM
  • 5 Replies
I read that most babies take two until about 16 months, but some drop it earlier. Just my luck, my 12 month old won't take two anymore. I can leave him in his crib for up to an hour, and he'll just talk to himself and take off his clothes, lol.

Thing is, he's so tired in the evenings. What should I do? I can't put him to bed much earlier. He already is out like a light by 6pm.

Any suggestions on getting him better rested? The one nap he'll take (sometimes morning, sometimes afternoon, though I put him down for both) is about an hour and 15 minutes long.
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 2:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 2:35 PM

My dd went from two naps to one nap at 12 months.  Her babysitter was the one that suggested it because she just wasn't ready for her morning nap, and on the few days she would take two naps, her second one was only about 1/2 hour long.  She used to nap at 9:30 or 10 in the morning and then again at 2 or 3 in the afternoon.  For the transition, we started putting her down at about noon or 12:30 in the afternoon (she usually eats at 11:30).  At the babysitter's house, she'll nap for 2 1/2 to 3 hours, but at our house she only naps 1 to 1 1/2 hours.  She's fine at night, though there have been a few nights where we let her take a very quick (15-20 minute) cat nap, and that seems to get her through her crabbiness but leave her ready for bed at her normal bed time.  Good luck!

by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 2:40 PM

My son stopped taking his two naps around 13 months.  Fortunately he went from two one hr naps to one 2-3 hr nap.  I would say try "quiet time" in the evenings or mid afternoon.  Sit and read with him for a lil while so he is resting even though he isn't sleeping.  GL

by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 8:28 PM

for starters make sure he gets up at a reasonable hour in the daughter gets up about 8...n then ill make her lunch about 1130 so shes ready for a nap by noon, shell sleep anywhere from 1 1/2 to 3 hours (varies day to day for some n gets her bath at 7 no goes to bed after....granted she sits in the crib for an hour or more yappin to herself n half the time undressin herself....(maybe i need to get her up an hour earlier in the mornin...*groan*) she kinda did it allon her own plus we had to run errands one mornin so it just stuck....good luck to u though

by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 8:36 PM

My son just turned one and about a month ago he was started taking one long nap at around 12ish.  I started back to work part time around then and there he will eat lunch at 11:30 ish and nap for 3 hrs there. He'd never sleep that long for me! Then since this week (we've been home on school vacation)  for some reason he's been taking 3 naps during the day.  He wakes up at 6-630 am and is SO tired by 8:30 am, so I put him down for a nap. He'll sleep for about 1 1/2 hr . Then he'll go down for another nap at around12:30 for another hr or so.  By 3-4ish he is exhausted and will nap for about 30-45mins. And then he's ready for bed by 7, no later.  I'm not sure if he's going through a growth spurt this week or what.  Just when I thought we cut down to one nap, he's back at 3 naps??

by on Jan. 3, 2009 at 2:05 PM
Thanks for the feedback! I'm going to try to put him down a little earlier for the afternoon nap - around 11:30. Maybe that will help?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)