Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

homemade detergent

Posted by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 3:50 PM
  • 13 Replies

Ok ladies..... So I have finally made the plunge and made my own laundry detergent..... it was surprisingly easy and I am now washing my firdst load of towels with my very own detergent!!

Has anyone else done this? And do you have any advice?

i have been writing about my laundry adventure.....at my page if you want to check it out...

by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 3:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Lisalou321
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 3:54 PM

Yeah I just started making my own last week. It works great on everyday dirt and grime but for my hubbys work cloths and dirty cloth diapers it dosn't work so well. I put oxyclean in it and it worked out great!! I save so much money doing this also.

kalio
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 4:12 PM

How do you make it?

Blondee512
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 4:12 PM

We've made our own for a while now. Saves $ big time. Love it.

jujubead
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 6:25 PM

ooh , how do you make it i want the recipe!!

pattimarie
by Bronze Member on Jan. 2, 2009 at 6:30 PM

me to, bump

jujubead
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 6:36 PM

bumpy-bump, bump bump

policepsychic
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 8:15 PM

Definately want the recipe! Please please please post!!!

momtoabackc
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 8:25 PM

Quoting Lisalou321:

Yeah I just started making my own last week. It works great on everyday dirt and grime but for my hubbys work cloths and dirty cloth diapers it dosn't work so well. I put oxyclean in it and it worked out great!! I save so much money doing this also.

On your husband's work clothes try using the home made detergent but use vinegar in the rinse cycle (like in place of fabric softener). 

Blondee512
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 8:26 PM

For mine....I make powder detergent. I mix 2 cups of grated Zote, to 1 cup super washing soda, and 1 cup Borax.

Super Washing Soda can be purchased, but I make mine by baking Arm and Hammer Baking Soda. 400 degrees for an hour.

I quadruple the recipe to make a batch and store it in Ziploc bags.

2 tbsp per load.

PM me with any questions.

tiredmomfor2
by on Jan. 3, 2009 at 9:07 AM

My recipe is

1 bar of soap grated (don't use anything to with too much fragrance. I used Ivory)

1 Cup of Borax

1 cup of washing soda

you delute the bar if soap in a pot with water on medium heat. and then add the borax and washing soda. add it to two gallons of water and stir. Let set for 24 hours. it will bacome this really fun gell substence. Tou can use a little less than a 1/2 cup. It makes about 64 loads.

I did a load yesterday and i have been adding oxyclean, and a squirk of Dawn to my hubbies work clothes ( he is a mechanic) and they are just as clean if i had used Tide!!!

Message me if you have any questions, or I could always use more money saving tips? :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)