Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

cell phone at 6 years old???

Posted by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 5:51 PM
  • 41 Replies

So we just picked up my stepson and he brought his cell phone with him. He is 6 years old. His mom informed us that he is allowd to use it and call her and his friends. Should he be able to do this at our house??? I have a 18 month old and a 4 year old. What if the 18 month old gets it?? I think 6 is way to young but what can we do?

by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 5:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lolapop13
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 5:54 PM

I would get my 5 yr old a pre=paid 1 if she were ever away from me but not to call her friends only to use 4 emergencies and to call mommy or daddy but she is with me litterly 24/7 so no worries hahah I wouldn't make a fuss over it as long as the kids isn't taking calls at the dinner table and stuff

good

Amybelle
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 5:54 PM

Definately to call him Mom. His friends IDK.  Since she's obviously paying for it if it gets lost or broken she deals with it. I wouldn't make a huge issue of it. JMO

lcbowman
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 5:55 PM

This is totally silly.  No 6 year old needs a cell phone.  Bm here tried that on us a couple of years ago.  We used the excuse we were afraid it would get broke.  We turned it off and put it up out of reach and gave it back to her when it was time to go home.  It only came the one time.

lilamandafaith
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 5:55 PM

What do you think about it possibly getting broke? And its not just his mom and dad its his friends who he keeps calling.

Quoting lolapop13:

I would get my 5 yr old a pre=paid 1 if she were ever away from me but not to call her friends only to use 4 emergencies and to call mommy or daddy but she is with mr litterly 24/7 so no worries hahah I wouldn't make a fuss over it as long as the kids isn't taking calls at the dinner table and stuff

Brandie_xo
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 5:57 PM

6? seriously?.. holy crap. I think that is just plain rediculous.

I'd let him know if he wants to talk to his mommy that you have a phone he can use for that..

My daughter is fully vaccinated so yours doesn't have to be!

You're Welcome.

baby

lilamandafaith
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 5:57 PM

His mom has our numbers that she can call anytime and talk to him. Its no big deal if she calls here but he keeps letting it lay on the sofa where the 18 month old keeps grabbing it.

Quoting Amybelle:

Definately to call him Mom. His friends IDK.  Since she's obviously paying for it if it gets lost or broken she deals with it. I wouldn't make a huge issue of it. JMO

Gracie1221
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 5:58 PM

I don't get it either - My nefew who's 7 has one - my sister is a SAHM (well, she works at the school that he attends while he's there) so, anyway, she's always around.  All his friends live nearby.. like next door and behind them...

So, of course he "NEEDS" one, right?  I just don't understand - How do I explain this to MY 7 yr old who now wants one because Daniel has one!  I think it's a little ridiculous!

And, hey, if the 18mo gets a hold of it, oh well!  The 6 yr old should be old enough to take care of his cell phone if he's old enough to have one, right? 

momcat437
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 5:58 PM

Don't worry, he'll lose it soon enough and you won't have to worry about it!  Or drop it in the toilet, or something equally bad.   You know BM is just showing off, right?  Just make sure one of your kids doesn't get a hold of it 'cuz you'll never hear the end of it from her!  : )

Brandie_xo
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 5:59 PM

Quoting lilamandafaith:

What do you think about it possibly getting broke? And its not just his mom and dad its his friends who he keeps calling

This is just me, but I'd take it away and tell him to go outside and play or something.  I don't remember talking on the phone to my friends when i was 6! lol.. it's just so silly to me.

My daughter is fully vaccinated so yours doesn't have to be!

You're Welcome.

baby

canagirl95
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 6:00 PM

I would make it a policy that the phone stay put up somewhere~ maybe on top of the fridge.  Let him Mom know that he will be free to call her, but that you don't want it to get in the way of family time.  It's what we did with hubs son when he got his first cell @ 10.

Quoting lilamandafaith:

His mom has our numbers that she can call anytime and talk to him. Its no big deal if she calls here but he keeps letting it lay on the sofa where the 18 month old keeps grabbing it.

Quoting Amybelle:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)