Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Need advice please!

Posted by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 9:06 PM
  • 17 Replies

I'm a first time mom, my son is 9 weeks tomorrow and I need advice from you moms. I wonder when do you started to schedule your baby sleeping and eating? or this is too early to put my son on schedule? Many thanks :)

happy new year 2009

by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 9:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Blondee512
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 9:07 PM

I never put my two kids on a schedule. bump

sk_tennyson
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 9:10 PM

Definitely to early.

pd4now82
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 9:21 PM

It's a bit too early yet.  For the most part, your child will set into their own schedule (or you can kind of adjust it to become a schedule) around 3 months of age.  Please understand though that the eating should still be on demand, and at 3 months you shouldn't be feeding him every three yours when he cries for food every 2 hrs, etc.  As a general rule though, from what I see with my own dd, and other infants that I've cared for, 3 months is when a schedule could start to be incorporated if desired.....and a lot of babies just fall into one on their own.

vkp23
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 11:57 PM

The only form of a schedual I put on my daughters is generally wat time to go to bed and generally what time to get up.  No set times for anything.  they'll set it on thier own.

Nenasam
by on Jan. 3, 2009 at 6:13 AM

Thanks you laddie :)

Meercat1
by on Jan. 3, 2009 at 10:30 AM

Yes, it is a bit earlier to start getting your son on a tight schedule.  I didn't start getting my kids onto a good schedule until they started sleeping a full 8 hours straight at night.  I am so lucky because my kids started doing this at 4 months with my son and 3 months with my daughter.  Once that happened I followed some of the advice given in the book, "Healthy Sleep Habits, Healthy Child". 

At 4 months here is what my sons daily schedule roughly looked like:

7am wakeup, 730 bottle/breakfast, 8-9am playtime/errands, 9-12nap, 12 bottle/lunch, 1-2 playtime, 2-5 nap, 5 dinner, 5-7 playtime, 7-9pm nap, 10pm nighttime bottle, 11-7am sleep.

With my daughter, things were a little different because she never napped as much as my son.

7am wakeup, 730 bottle, 8-10 playtime, 10-1 nap, 1pm lunch, 2-3 playtime, 3-6 nap, 6pm dinner, 6-8pm playtime, 8pm nighttime bottle, 9pm-7am sleep.

Both have always slept in their own cribs and have been healthy sleepers and eaters.  My daughter sucks her thumb and my son sucked on a paci.  In fact he is almost 4 and still uses a paci for sleep time (although we have already told him that when he turns 4 in Feb. the paci will be no more since he will officially be a Big Boy and Big Boys don't use paci's).  Both know how to self soothe themselves to sleep and are put to bed awake.  My son still loves to listen to rock music to fall asleep and my daughter listens to Hawaiian music, plays with her baby doll, and drinks a milk bottle to fall asleep.

Now my kids schedule looks like this:

730am wake up, 8am breakfast, 9-12noon preschool for my son, errands/playtime for my daughter, 12 noon  lunch, 1230-230 nap for my daughter, 1-3 occasional nap for my son (the boy still loves to sleep and will take a nap about 3 times a week still), 3pm snack, 3-5pm playtime/errands, 530pm bath for my daughter every other day, 6pm dinner, 7pm nighttime bottle for my daughter and bedtime, 7pm Daddy gives my son a shower every other day, 730-8pm bedtime for my son (just depends on if he took a nap that day or not). 

That's just a snapshot of our schedule.  Of course I take it day by day, as each day brings different challenges.  Sometimes I run long on my errands so a nap gets pushed back a few minutes.  Or we are meeting with friends/relatives and we get home late at night.  I do try to be consistent with naps and bedtimes about 95% of the time.  But probably once or twice a week we might push the times back for one reason or another.  With kids, even though you have a schedule, you gotta leave room for some flexibility because there is always something that comes up....illness, nightmares, grandparents visiting, teething, etc.

deegansmommy28
by on Jan. 3, 2009 at 10:35 AM

my son made his own schedule at about 2 months, now that hes 4 months, its a bit different but pretty much the same and i just make sure we follow it. but 9 weeks is too young for you to put her on one, but if you pay close attention to her sleepy and hungry cues, you may notice that she is already pretty predicable.

baby boy

bethany3692000
by on Jan. 3, 2009 at 10:43 AM

the only schedule i made for my dd was bath at 7 30 every night and bedtime at 8 i dont think u can make a eating schedule.. she eats whenever she wants...

shajdinyak
by Bronze Member on Jan. 3, 2009 at 6:00 PM

I continue to try putting my seven month old on a schedule.  I guess all babies r different.  She is on a bedtime schedule.  We tried starting trying that at two months.  As for eating , waking, napping she won't allow.....my aunt actually got me upset adn said who is the parent.  But she is a baby with a very strong personality and I can't force it...good luck....

roxle
by on Jan. 3, 2009 at 6:08 PM
We were on an "on demand" schedule until about 3 or 4 months when I noticed naps & eating (formula) were starting to happen around the same time. Wake up at 5 or 6 am eat a nap about an hour later for 2- 3 hours. Around 2ish she would eat and go down for another nap for about 2 hours. around 6:30 she would sleep but get up around 9 or 10 for another bottle then go right back down.
At about 6 months she was sleeping from 7:30 pm to 5-6 am. Nap from 8-10 nap from 2-4. She would eat when she woke up snake around 10 when she wakes up from her nap lunch about noon bottle right before her nap and after. dinner about 6.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)