Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Migranes sufferrers???? Help please! *updated*

Posted by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 10:37 PM
  • 29 Replies

I have really bad headaches ... have for as long as I can remember (years) and I have been to a doctor in the past for them but they didn't do anything for me besides give me some pills that did nothing!

Lately I have been getting more and they are worse it seems ... I will be scheduling a doctors apt soon but was wondering if any of you ladies have suffered from migranes and if so what you have done about them. I want to go to my doctor with some "suggestions" as to what I am willing to try ect.

Thank you all so much ladies! I really appreciate all the advice! It got so bad last night I had to have my dad come pick up DD (my SO works nights) just because if I stood up I was running for the bathroom. Anyways ... thanks again - I got a lot of good info to take with me to the doctor!

by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 10:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
3timesoccermom
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 10:39 PM

I take Imitrex for mine, but thankfully usually only get one a month.  Right before my period.  With yours happening that often it might be worth checking to see if it's food-related.  There are a lot of foods that can cause problems.  Good luck to you.

mommy_maria
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 10:42 PM

Hmm I didn't know food could cause migranes ... thanks for the tip!

Quoting 3timesoccermom:

I take Imitrex for mine, but thankfully usually only get one a month.  Right before my period.  With yours happening that often it might be worth checking to see if it's food-related.  There are a lot of foods that can cause problems.  Good luck to you.

cmjrsj
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 10:42 PM

i've had migraines ever since i started having seizures,so they put me on Depakote ER

jazzyandpat
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 10:43 PM

i as you suffered from them for years. i could have the same one for  months at a time. it was only untill i had to a check up for  hubbys ins. for work my ob found out what was wrong with me. at the same time i had to do some blood work as i was talking to her. she knew of a really bad pain on my s ide that i had been dealing with for a few years. at the same time she seen i have gained alot of waight. all said and done with she order more blood work on top of what  i needed done. she found out that my inslion(SP) levels was way out of wake. it was dubble the amount it need to be.i am know on sugar meds a diet and migrane free well most part for almost a year. only time i do get a migrane is when my sugar is way to high or low all depends on what i have ate that day. so this last year i have only had 2. best of luck mamma i know what it is like living with them

beans13
by Bronze Member on Jan. 2, 2009 at 10:43 PM

Have they been diagnosed as migraines?  Not tension or stress?  That is an important difference.

I have suffered them since I was 9.... I have tried everything.  I even tried biofeedback therapy.  I usually take Imitrex when I get one but it is hard cause I have to lay down and that is not always feasible.  Over the years I have tried many different daily rx's to prevent with no luck.... recently someone on here mentioned Topomax to me.  I decided to try it.  I have been on it for 2 months now (daily).  It is INCREDIBLE....not a single tiny headache.   The first month I didn't know I was getting my period because I didn't have a 3 day migraine beforehand.  DH told me I am like a totally different person.  It is like I am free again.  I take 2 in the morning and 2 in the evening. It is pricey -  about $230 for 3 months (my drug plan covers it so I am lucky) so I don't know if that is an option for you or not. 

Also like the first poster said, check the food triggers.  I know for me the biggest triggers are aspartame/nutrasweet and red wine.

MrsJenL
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 10:45 PM

My mom gets them all the time... they gave her some kind of special pill(sorry forgot name) and then If it gets too bad she gets a valum shot. Actually last night she had to go to the ER b.c she had been dizzy and had a mirgrain for 3 days or more. I say don't wait to get help. If it's bad the first day get to the dr. or hospital ASAP. They can olny get worse on their own. Good Luck and I hope your feeling better!!!

Have a Blessed Day! Always... Jen

mommy_maria
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 10:46 PM

I want to say that is what they put me on about 2 years ago - just a sample one so I didn't know the price was so high! It didn't do anything for me =(

Quoting beans13:

Have they been diagnosed as migraines?  Not tension or stress?  That is an important difference.

I have suffered them since I was 9.... I have tried everything.  I even tried biofeedback therapy.  I usually take Imitrex when I get one but it is hard cause I have to lay down and that is not always feasible.  Over the years I have tried many different daily rx's to prevent with no luck.... recently someone on here mentioned Topomax to me.  I decided to try it.  I have been on it for 2 months now (daily).  It is INCREDIBLE....not a single tiny headache.   The first month I didn't know I was getting my period because I didn't have a 3 day migraine beforehand.  DH told me I am like a totally different person.  It is like I am free again.  I take 2 in the morning and 2 in the evening. It is pricey -  about $230 for 3 months (my drug plan covers it so I am lucky) so I don't know if that is an option for you or not. 

Also like the first poster said, check the food triggers.  I know for me the biggest triggers are aspartame/nutrasweet and red wine.

jazzyandpat
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 10:49 PM

topomax is great i was on it for awile for mine.i dont have to take it any more because my ob found out what was going on with me.

Quoting beans13:

beans13
by Bronze Member on Jan. 2, 2009 at 10:50 PM

How long were you on it for?  You have to ease onto it in stages until you are at the correct dosage.  It took me 3 weeks to be at the max dose.....

Quoting mommy_maria:

I want to say that is what they put me on about 2 years ago - just a sample one so I didn't know the price was so high! It didn't do anything for me =(

Quoting beans13:

mamivon2
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 10:51 PM

Go to a Chiropr. sometimes there is something out of line in your neck area.

http://www.apta.org/AM/Template.cfm?Section=Search&template=/CM/HTMLDisplay.cfm&ContentID=24761

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)