Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Hernia that needs surgery?

Posted by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 11:52 PM
  • 12 Replies

My DS will be 8 weeks old tomorrow. He was born with an undecended testicle on the left side. They said that we would wait a year to see if it decended.... well, now he has a hernia. The doctor said that it's because there is an opening where the testicle is supposed to come down and fat and his intestines are decending into it causing a hernia.

Apparently he may need surgery for it. We have an appointment on Monday to take him in for it, and we are not supposed to give him anything for the pain so that we can monitor him and if he is in more pain take him to the ER for immediate help...

I am so worried. Have you experienced this? what happened?

by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 11:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
BritniB
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 11:58 PM

My daughter has an umbilical hernia and a hyeital hernia- both require surgery but do not appear to cause her an extensive amount of pain. Is he visibly in pain? I would NOT allow that to go on. No need for him to suffer.

I do know this EXACT same situation happened to my brother in law- he is 36 and perfectly healthy.

Sorry I cant be more help but babies are so strong- just keep your head up and know that everything will be fine!

MumsTheWord571
by on Jan. 3, 2009 at 12:03 AM

It doesn't seem to bother him too much, mostly if we touch it. but the swelling in his groin scared the crap out of us!

Quoting BritniB:

My daughter has an umbilical hernia and a hyeital hernia- both require surgery but do not appear to cause her an extensive amount of pain. Is he visibly in pain? I would NOT allow that to go on. No need for him to suffer.

I do know this EXACT same situation happened to my brother in law- he is 36 and perfectly healthy.

Sorry I cant be more help but babies are so strong- just keep your head up and know that everything will be fine!

new2this08
by on Jan. 3, 2009 at 12:06 AM
okay..first let me say that im sorry your family has to go through this. now..this is not the same experience (technically) so i dont know if it will help, but right after i gave birth to my son, i had a hernia in my belly button and had to have surgery---mind u i just had a csection. i'm not trying to scare u, and keep in mind its different, but i was in sooo much pain. after the surgery though, i felt so much better. like a whole new person. i hope i didnt scare u. but just be strong for him. do what is best for your baby. and keep in mind that it will hurt him in the long run if it doesnt get it taken care of now. if you're not sure, get a second, or even a third opinion. whatever happens, be strong. have faith. your baby will be fine. babies are a lot stronger than we think ;) --let us know what happens.
Jamie1972
by Bronze Member on Jan. 3, 2009 at 12:17 AM

now none of my kids have had hernias. but i myself was born with one.  what she told was that i was fine and as long as i had a diaper on i was a happy baby. when she took my diaper off you could see the bulge and i guess i would cry. but back in then they told my mom she had to wait till i was 2 years old before i could have operation. i know that this is not the same but i just wanted to share with you that i gues for 2 years i was fine and in no real pain. your lo will be fine and if he is in major pain just take him to er. good luck.

mvon
by on Jan. 3, 2009 at 8:29 AM

My son went through the exact same thing.  He was about 10 weeks old and he was a premie.  I think he weighed about 7lbs at the time.  They did both sides at once.  They said he was to small for anesthesia so they actually gave him whiskey to put him under.  We did it outpatient and had no problems at all.  He is 13 now and you can't even see the scar.

Bubblegranny
by on Jan. 3, 2009 at 9:00 AM

On the advice of you Dr. you should have the surgery done.   I have had a nephew and his daughter had it done at a young age.... Also a friend of mine asked me what this lump was on her son.. Sure enough it was hernia and she had the surgery done... While there may be new methods it seems the sooner the better.... But... Check with your Doctor and research on line...

Let us know how it goes..

Blessings,

New Granny  its a boy

Maw-to-many
by on Jan. 4, 2009 at 1:41 AM

One of my godsons had this. The idea of surgery on your young son is scary.But my godson came through it just fine. Today he is 16 and everything is just fine.

Maw-to-Many

tuckersmommy22
by on Jan. 4, 2009 at 1:50 AM
My son was a micro preemie born at 26 weeks. He had an inguinal hernia when he was about a month old...we had it fixed when he was 6 months old. (He couldn't have it done before then because of other issues) Hernias are very uncomfortable...you may not always see it but it was definitely causing Tucker to not act as he should have been. It causes a lot of pressure, and air can get trapped in their little scrotum, which is very uncomfortable. The surgery is not difficult, it only takes about an hour...and believe me he'll be much happier after! I know surgery is TERRIFYING...but believe me, it will help him. Good luck with everything!! If you have any questions just let me know...I'd be happy to answer them!

"If God brings you to it,
He will bring you through it.
Happy moments, praise God.
Difficult moments, seek God.
Quiet moments, worship God.
Painful moments, trust God.
Every moment thank God."

~Audra (Tucker's Mommy)~
jess0730
by on Jan. 4, 2009 at 11:47 AM

My son had a hernia on each side when he was born. He had surgery when he was about 9 weeks old & did great. The hospital scheduled his surgery early in the morning & we were home by 11am. He was tired that day, but bounced back quickly. It also seemed that he was less cranky after it was repaired too. Now he is 15 months & has two barely visible scars.

RockTheSocks
by on Jan. 4, 2009 at 11:54 AM

My husband was born with this same condition.

He's now 27.   He's fine.   His mother did not watch him carefully as a child and he had complications that weren't noticed until he was in his 20's.   he had it fixed last April and it should be repaird for life at this point.

My advice is to watch it very closely.   They will likely wait to do surgery on him, but I would have him check at least every 6 monthsuntil the repair.   If they repair it as a child youwill still need to watch him closely.   it will be strange to him to have his mom check his scrotum but it needs to be done.   My husbands testicle ended up the size of a grapefruit and was almost strangled and rendered useless because of poor care.   He was lucky though and they were able to save it.

Just be on top of it is all.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)