Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Brushing your toddlers' teeth a nightmare? Here is the answer!

Posted by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 11:58 PM
  • 20 Replies

My least favorite time(s) of the day is when I have to brush my 18-month-olds' teeth. Or it used to be until I read ADVICE FROM CAFEMOM. Until TODAY -- I had to practically HOLD my toddler down to brush her teeth -- YOU GUYS WHO SUGGESTED an electric toothbrush WERE RIGHT!! I was amazed when I showed Bailey the new toothbrush -- turned it on AND SHE OPENED HER MOUTH AND PRESENTED HER PEARLY WHITES!! OMG! It was such a chore before ... but she LOVED the vibrations inside her mouth. Thanks so much for your advice!!!

kissing

by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 11:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ARPsMom
by Bronze Member on Jan. 3, 2009 at 12:01 AM

Thanks so much. I never thought of using an electric toothbrush. I'm gonna have to pick one up tomorrow. My son does ok with letting me brush his teeth but screams his head off when daddy does it. Maybe this will help.

jenn962
by on Jan. 3, 2009 at 12:03 AM

This was the best $4 investment ever (Walmart-crayola brand)! It even came with a battery.. lol:-)

Quoting ARPsMom:

Thanks so much. I never thought of using an electric toothbrush. I'm gonna have to pick one up tomorrow. My son does ok with letting me brush his teeth but screams his head off when daddy does it. Maybe this will help.

kissing

sshene719
by on Jan. 3, 2009 at 12:04 AM

thats funny. i wouldve never have thought of that. My oldest LOVES brushing hsi teeth and i have NEVER had to fight him. not even as an infant. but i think its cuz i started with those gum cleaner and rubber finger cover brushes since the day we got him home so by the time he was 10 mths old he was holding the toothbrush and going back and forth in a brushing motion. he would brush his teeth all day if you let him. he is turning 3 this sunday and he still LOVES to brush his teeth. Now my youngest i have slcked on and i think it will be a struggle unless i stop slacking so i will have to remember this tid bit of info and give it a try. thx.

gagetristan
by on Jan. 3, 2009 at 12:05 AM

Ok, I tried that a month ago and it didnt work. Mine just loves to press the on and off switch. It is horrible!!! We fight every morn and night with him!!! Hate it!!!

gagetristan
by on Jan. 3, 2009 at 12:09 AM

I did this too my sister told me to. We did it two times a day - he liked it. We even tried a toothbrush at the changing table -  everytime I changed his diapers I let him chew on it just to get started. Mine is almost 2 - it is so hard!!!!

Quoting sshene719:

thats funny. i wouldve never have thought of that. My oldest LOVES brushing hsi teeth and i have NEVER had to fight him. not even as an infant. but i think its cuz i started with those gum cleaner and rubber finger cover brushes since the day we got him home so by the time he was 10 mths old he was holding the toothbrush and going back and forth in a brushing motion. he would brush his teeth all day if you let him. he is turning 3 this sunday and he still LOVES to brush his teeth. Now my youngest i have slcked on and i think it will be a struggle unless i stop slacking so i will have to remember this tid bit of info and give it a try. thx.

vannahsmom07
by on Jan. 3, 2009 at 12:10 AM

i guess my dd is weird... she CRIES when i take the tooth brush away from her... lol!

jenn962
by on Jan. 3, 2009 at 12:13 AM

hmmm, my dentist also suggested that I also

1)give her a toothbrush to "play" with while she is in the tub -- (didnt work - she just kept sucking the water from it)

2)kneel down in front of her while I brush my teeth so she can see how to do it and that it doesnt "hurt" -- (didn't work -- she snatched my toothbrush and almost had it in HER mouth) ewww.

3) have her stand on a stepstool in front of the mirror and brush her own teeth (with me "helping" after she is done) -- this also didn't work -- she just kept smiling at the baby in the mirror.

But maybe it will work for you! Good luck!!

kissing

SheHoldsTheKey
by on Jan. 3, 2009 at 1:00 AM

Brushing my daughters teeth has always been really easy. I started before she even had teeth, using a washcloth, then a really soft infant tooth brush. Then as a toddler, I did her teeth first, and her prize for letting me brush her teeth was that she got to finish brushing her teeth while I brushed mine. Then awhile (about a year probably) ago I got her an electric toothbrush, and now we do her teeth together and I "check" to make sure we got it all. She actually does a REALLY good job with brushing, getting in the back of her mouth and her tongue and everything.

Some kids just really hate it and there's not much you can do but hold 'em down! (To the posters having a hard time, have you tried to toothtunes brushes? That make music while your brushing... it might be worth a shot if your LO likes music)

Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker

kalio
by on Jan. 3, 2009 at 1:38 AM

YUP! I discovered this recently also!! Amazing huh?!

MS
we need to find a cure.

Are you a young mom? Feel you have no one to go to?
Want someone to trust and can ask them anything without fear of being judged?
If so,come check out Big Sister's. We're here to help you! :]
Or do you want to become a Big Sister?

http://www.cafemom.com/group/bigsisters

PrttyMstng
by on Jan. 3, 2009 at 6:25 AM

I'm a dental hygienist. For you moms who are also have a difficult time brushing toddlers teeth - do not use toothpaste. Some toothpastes can be very hot to the delicate tissue in a child's mouth. Just wet the brush with water. It's the brushing action that removes the plaque, not the toothpaste.

Also, if you are allowing your toddler to chew on the brush you will need to replace the head more frequently. Worn bristles on a toothbrush can cause gum damage and they will not remove the plaque effectively. Make sure you brush their teeth as well as letting them do it themselves.

Always brush at least twice a day - it takes about 12 hours for the plaque to form again.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)