Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Housing for single mom, no/low income and bad credit. I really need help!!

Posted by on Jan. 3, 2009 at 11:02 PM
  • 7 Replies

First of all....do not bash me, I feel bad enough with the crap I have going on as it is.

My boyfriend of 8 years just decided that he wanted to be single after having 2 kids with me.  i have always had a job, since I was 14, but with our last kid (who is only 5 months old) he said that i could quit my job and stay home for a while.  I had been on a waiting list for school for 3 years and finally started that this year.  So...I have no job..so no income of my own, and I am in school full time for something that i have been waiting 3 years for....and now he broke up with me.  I have still been living with him because I thought it was going to be easy, but he keeps throwing the 'I'm single' card in my face (along with a girl he met).  I need to get out of the same house as him...he keeps saying or doing things that make me think that we will get back together but then he'll turn around and say NO!  He thinks that when he can't get something (sexually) from this girl, that he can come home and get it from me.  I am starting to break down, mentally and emotionally. 

I have really bad credit because of him.  We went through a time where we both lost our jobs and started falling way behind on bills and such.  We had two cars get repo-ed and actually went through an eviction (because we had to move and the place refused to work with us).  I have a few credit cards too, that he told me not to worry about because we didn't have the money to pay.

he says I can still live with him, but It is really hurting me mentally.  I honestly think that he wants me to stay with him so he doesn't have to worry about babysitters when he gets into his little I am single moods and wants to go out....and so that I don't continue with child support.

I know a lot of people are going to say get a job...but I cannot quit school!  I refuse to work at a factory for my 'career' (no offense to anyone who does, it just isn't for me).  I will not have a lot of help from family for daycare either, so that isn't an option.

What I need help with is:

Does anyone know of a program or something that helps low/no income people with housing??  and what if you have bad credit??

i am sure there isn't much to work with, but I don't know where to even start looking/asking.

by on Jan. 3, 2009 at 11:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
nikkiJ86
by on Jan. 3, 2009 at 11:06 PM

You can apply for section 8 or public housing,but they probably have a waiting list.Also some apartments have in house section 8,where they go by your income and you don't need the voucher.

bxmom2580
by on Jan. 3, 2009 at 11:09 PM

WELL, I LIVE IN NYC, AND WHAT I KNOW ABOUT HOW THEY DO IT HERE IS LIKE THIS, WE HAVE ALOT OF LOW INCOME HOUSING, BUT THEY DO A CREDIT CHECK, MY FRIEND WAS LUCKY ENOUGH TO GET IN ONE OF THESE BUILDINGS, AND YOU NEED AN INCOME, IN YOUR SITUATION, IF YOU WERE HERE, YOU WOULD HAVE TO GO TO A SHELTER WITH THE KIDS, APPLY FOR WELFARE, IF NOT, YOU CANT STAY IN THE SHELTER, AND GET YOUR APARTMENT THAT WAY, THATS YOUR ONLY OPTION, BUT THATS HERE IN NYC

mommy2Taren
by on Jan. 3, 2009 at 11:13 PM

bump

ladyred08
by on Jan. 4, 2009 at 12:06 AM

Quoting nikkiJ86:

You can apply for section 8 or public housing,but they probably have a waiting list.Also some apartments have in house section 8,where they go by your income and you don't need the voucher.

They do the same thing in my city(Tampa fl). But they also have housing that is rent free as long as you are going to school. i have a couple of friends thats in that program. maybe you should look it up on the computer and figure out if it applies in your state

18 YEAR OLD MOM TO BE~BABY GIRL DUE JAN 7 O9~I AM SMART~EDUCATED~LOVING~CARING~OUTSPOKEN~FUN~FRIENDLY~AND PLEASE DONT BE FOOLED BECUZ IM HAVING A CHILD YOUNG I AM DOING SOMETHING WITH MY LIFE!!!!!

MISS BIG RED!!!!

ShadowRaven
by on Jan. 4, 2009 at 12:39 PM

Section 8 or public housing is your best bet.  Although, they do usually have a wait list.  Best of luck.

mommyinthe303
by Bronze Member on Jan. 4, 2009 at 12:46 PM

Well honey I am not trying to be mean, but if you go to the Welfare office and tell them this story they will NOT necessarily help you and they will most likely tell you to get a job honey. As far as section 8 and low income housing here you need to have an income to get in and it takes YEARS here in Colorado to get even on the lists and or the lists are always closed! I wish I had better advise for you but really I have been there with Welfare and they are not very nice about things. And this is NO offense to anyone but if I was not from this country then they would probably help me out. But I'm not and I work my butt off and hurt all the time because I can not go to school. Good luck momma.

~Jess~

sgilbert211
by on Jan. 4, 2009 at 4:11 PM

I live in low income housing and we too have bad credit. But they will NOT accept you if you have been evicted, have reposessions or bankrupties. And they do check your income every year. I don't think it's the credit score that's going to hurt you, it's the things on your credit that will probably hurt you. Atleast here in NJ, with low income housing, they do check with prior landlords and a friend of mine was rejected from low income housing because of a bad landlord reference. I wish you the very best of luck. Don't give up and as much as it sucks you may have to put school on hold right now because like you said they provide no income.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured