Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

6 year old attitude problems....Help !!

Posted by on Jan. 11, 2009 at 11:53 PM
  • 34 Replies

Poll

Question: Is taking away things that she loves the best way to discipline my daughter ?

Options:

YES

NO

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 59

View Results

I have a 6 year old daughter that here recently has an attitude problem, I mean major !! The teacher has even made remarks about it !!

We have done everything from priveledges taken away, grounding, nose on the wall, no tv, etc. etc. nothing works.

She also, laughs when we get onto her.  OMG....this is so irritating.  I tell her to go back and put her nose on the wall until she can stop laughing when I am trying to talk with her.

She also just STARES @ you when tell her to do something, which is one of the things that her teacher is having problems with her on. She is will not listen and she will not stop getting out of her seat and distracting the other children.

She has been tested for ADHD and we put her on ADDERALL XR and she is now on a 10mg dose, well, was.  I called the doctor and told him that her moods and attitude and "acting out" have gotten worse since she has been put on this medication.

But with that being said, I do NOT blame ADHD nor the medication that she was on for her acting this way. She knows mommy and daddy's rules and I know that she is only 6, but if I can't nip it in the bud now, I will have **HECK** when she is a teenager !!  IMO !!

(WE DO NOT SPANK HER, NEVER WILL HAPPEN, SO PLEASE DO NOT SUGGEST THIS TO ME !!)

Anywho, I mean, she is an only child, she isn't overly spoiled and she doesn't get what she wants all the time. I love my baby and do not like seeing her like this, this is NOT her.  She NEVER acted like this a few months ago !!

Nothing in her life has really changed in the last few months or so.

So, my question is this, is this "Normal" six year old behavior ?  What else can I do as far as punishment ?  Advice ?  Help ?

by on Jan. 11, 2009 at 11:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Lanie_momofone
by on Jan. 11, 2009 at 11:57 PM

Seems to me..that this is your main problem right there...she knows that you are a sucker...she knows she can get a way with things. Sorry to be blunt, but maybe this is your only option. OR another suggestion..take every single thing out of her room..and only leave her bed, dresser and thats it! Everything else she has to earn back one by one..if she starts acting up, anything she has earned back..you take it away again and she has to start over.

Quote:

(WE DO NOT SPANK HER, NEVER WILL HAPPEN, SO PLEASE DO NOT SUGGEST THIS TO ME !!)

jenn_wong
by on Jan. 12, 2009 at 12:03 AM

Hi,

I think you need to have a talk with her. Something is bothering her if this just started a few months ago.  They start to show independence during school, but not being that disrespectful all of a sudden.

modelmom04
by on Jan. 12, 2009 at 12:07 AM

When it comes to school maybe she is just bored.  When my son is not being challenged in school then he tends to start problems.  When the teachers have worked with him to give him a little extra then he tends to do better.  He is now old enough that he is able to be in Talented and gifted.  When it comes to her attitude you need to find the one discipline that she doesn't like and stick with it.  There is going to come a point when you think that its not but stick with it.  Kids will try their hardest to test you and that is what she is doing.  I know that this is going to sound crazy but when she starts laughing I would just start laughing with her while you are walking her to the wall and putting her nose back on the wall.  Some of the craziest things work for things like that.  Good luck and let us know how things are going.

MysticMoon919
by on Jan. 12, 2009 at 12:09 AM

I have a six year old daughter who was diagnosed with ADHD also.  She also is taking Adderal XR 10 mg.  I saw that you said you do not blame the ADHD which is totally correct.  ADHD has nothing to do with the attitude.  I have been going through couseling with my daughter.  Many children with ADHD also have a mood disorder.  My best recomendation is start charting her behavior and see a Psychologist.  That is what we are doing with my daughter.  Its the best way to monitor her behavior so if there is a mood disorder they can spot it.  I know how you feel believe me!!!

sagi6666
by on Jan. 12, 2009 at 12:12 AM

Sit her down at the table...Write at the top of a piece of paper "I have been behaving like a stinker and promice to never do it again" or something in that order, for whatever it is she may be doing that you don't appreciate...Make her rewrite it exactly the way you wrote it on paper til she complains how her lil hand is starting to cramp, then make her come and apologize promicing you it will never happen again verbally with meaning...Try that...I remember we had to do that as kids, either re-write something out 100 times or more, depending on our age or until bedtime...

Janis198
by on Jan. 12, 2009 at 9:06 AM

When you say she laughs when you yell at her, do you think she might have a nerves laugh, like does she laugh, but still cries after you are done yelling.  My 9 year old has a nerve laugh, so do I, if you yell at me I will smile, when someone dies, I will smile and burst into tears and I sometimes laugh when I cried.  

But if you really think she is laughing to disrespect you, then she will need to be punished.   I would make her write 100 times, I will not disrespect my mom.   And if she does it again, she will have to write it 200 times.  And it has to be written the nice.  I know wshe is only 6, but if she is in school, then she knows how to write, you just write it first and she has to copy it, and she has to say it outloud as she is writting it everytime.

Janis mommy to 5 great kidshappy new year 2009

MyIrishTwins56
by on Jan. 12, 2009 at 9:11 AM

My 3 yo has started this behavior...I'm not a fan of hitting my kids because the message doesn't get across very clearly. But, I'm going to give he a couple of weeks to shape up and stop ( I stop it at the core, i.e. I stop her and make her reword and rephrase herself as soon as she begins) because if not, I'm going to smack her in the mouth and make sure that the lesson comes across loud and clear...better early than later I say.  After a certain point it's too late to turn back.  Don't know if your dd is there yet but better get to it now b/c when she's a teen your fucked. 

"Learn to write you hurts in sand and to carve your benefits in stone." - Unknown

valbeasley
by on Jan. 12, 2009 at 9:35 AM

i agree with the earlier post...take everything out of her bedroom, and tell her she has to earn it back....every day that she is good and dosent give attitude or talk back, she gets one thing back....but that when she acts up again, EVERYTHING goes again and she has to start ALL over. not just take one thing out.

Janis198
by on Jan. 12, 2009 at 9:41 AM

I do this one too, it works :D

Quoting valbeasley:

i agree with the earlier post...take everything out of her bedroom, and tell her she has to earn it back....every day that she is good and dosent give attitude or talk back, she gets one thing back....but that when she acts up again, EVERYTHING goes again and she has to start ALL over. not just take one thing out.

Janis mommy to 5 great kidshappy new year 2009

Aphrexia
by on Jan. 12, 2009 at 9:55 AM

Taking all but her bed and dresser out of her room might work. It does with my son, who has ADHD, Tourette's syndrome, OCD and ODD (obstinant defiant disorder). He is one of those kids that if we did spank we could do it till we turned blue and he would just laugh.  Although his docs are in the process of re-evaluating him, they think he may have been misdiagnosed with ADHD, they think he may actually be Asperger's or a very high functioning autistic.

You said her mood's got worse with the meds? She may be one that reacts badly to the stimulant ADHD meds. My son can't have any of the stimulant meds because it makes his Tourette's and ODD worse. Does your daughter see a Psychiatrist or just a Psychologist or neither? If so talk it over with her shrink, they may also have some ideas with how to deal with it, if she doesn't see a shrink you might see if the primary doc will refer you to one. I know it has made my son's life a bit easier and mine as a side effect.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)