Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Justice for baby Benjamin Sargent??

Posted by on Jan. 16, 2009 at 3:20 PM
  • 41 Replies

We all know about the 5 mo. old baby boy that was found starved to death in his carseat.  Well I was searching about the trial, and it seems as though the 'parents' (if that's what you wanna call them) won't get the death penalty.  I don't know if that's a good thing or bad thing.  Yes I want them to live a horrible life, but at the same time I don't want to pay my taxes so they can have 3 meals a day and a roof over their heads either.  I don't know if giving them the death pen. is just letting them off the hook since seeing as how it would have been lethal injection anyway which we all know is painless.  IDK, but it doesn't matter what I think, because it's irrelevant, it is what it is.  What about y'all?  Do you think they should have gotten a painless way to die or do you think it's okay to pay for their meals and housing?  I'm stuck on the whole thing.  Because if you ask me, they should die the same way that poor baby did.

by on Jan. 16, 2009 at 3:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jenC1978
by Bronze Member on Jan. 16, 2009 at 3:27 PM

This is such a sickening story!  I hope that the prisoners take care of them and kill them in prison.  The death penalty would be too easy for them.  What a bunch of sick animals.  Why would they even have a child for to do that to him?  I am literally sick to my stomach.  I have a son too and the thought of that makes me cry.  God bless that little boy. 

sgilbert211
by on Jan. 16, 2009 at 3:29 PM

I think "baby killers" don't survive in jail very long. From what I have heard inmates do not tolerate that. They will truly get what they deserve.

SAHM of 2 formula fed, fully vaxed,

non co-sleeping, PERFECT kids!

MsGina630
by on Jan. 16, 2009 at 3:30 PM

They should get just what they did to that poor little boy. GRRRR! Some people should never have children!

brantonsmom
by on Jan. 16, 2009 at 3:33 PM

yeah they may not make it long in jail, and also I think it cost more taxpayers money to have them given leathal injection than it will for them to spend their life in jail.  From what I understand it is very very expensive, and it usually takes like 20 yrs before they are killed so they sit in jail for that long anyway.

SusieW
by on Jan. 16, 2009 at 3:34 PM

don't know the story personally but some people , there punishment should fit the crime as in this case. That is so sad , but once again the justice system failed and two low lifes are going to be living it easy for the rest of their days no matter how long it should be , i personally thing people like this should be put on a chain gang and given bread and water.

they weren't good enough to give even that to that sweet little baby .

mommy092806
by on Jan. 16, 2009 at 3:36 PM

I totally understand what you're saying but the way I look at it is like this....our tax  money is gonna pay for these ppl to live however its gonna pay for them to live a life of HELL which is what I think they should live. When they are in prison not only will they be abused mentaly but physically as well. The inmates that they will incounter who havent and probaly never will be able to see thier kids,neices,nephews,grandchildren etc. are gonna be so disgusted and pissed that on numerous occasions these ppl will get the shit beat out of them and probalby to an inch of their life. I believe thats what they need is to live with what they have done but yet live in hell and if they happen to put them in solitary confinement because of the fear or this im sure their own guilt will eat away at them. My dad (who knows alot about prisons) said that even at times the guards get in on the action and beat the shit out of child rapist, children murders etc. and noone ever knows the difference. So im glad my tax money is paying for them to live a LIFE OF HELL!!

marshaam
by on Jan. 16, 2009 at 5:14 PM

It's still so very sad.

Quoting mommy092806:

I totally understand what you're saying but the way I look at it is like this....our tax  money is gonna pay for these ppl to live however its gonna pay for them to live a life of HELL which is what I think they should live. When they are in prison not only will they be abused mentaly but physically as well. The inmates that they will incounter who havent and probaly never will be able to see thier kids,neices,nephews,grandchildren etc. are gonna be so disgusted and pissed that on numerous occasions these ppl will get the shit beat out of them and probalby to an inch of their life. I believe thats what they need is to live with what they have done but yet live in hell and if they happen to put them in solitary confinement because of the fear or this im sure their own guilt will eat away at them. My dad (who knows alot about prisons) said that even at times the guards get in on the action and beat the shit out of child rapist, children murders etc. and noone ever knows the difference. So im glad my tax money is paying for them to live a LIFE OF HELL!!

mckinleysmom07
by on Jan. 16, 2009 at 5:21 PM

I dont think they should live a "cushy" life in prison, yea they will be beat and live with rules but they did a horrible act. No one cared if that little boy was comfortable so they shouldnt be either. But since there is that "little" thing with no cruel or unusual punishment (even though the crimes are cruel, never made since to me) they will get their punishment in time. I dont know your believes but God takes care of his children who take care of themselves and families, and they will have to deal with their guilts (if they have a conscience)

But besides that I am just appalled by their actions!

whitbug
by on Jan. 16, 2009 at 5:56 PM

I HADNT HEARD ABOUT THIS SO I LOOKED IT UP SO ID KNOW WHAT WAS GOING ON AND FOR OTHERS WHO HAVEN ALSO HERE IT IS
PEORIA - Benjamin Sargent died with his eyes open, fists clenched and strapped into a car seat after eight days without food or water, the county's top prosecutor said Wednesday.
The 5-month-old was dropped off at his parents' house on Feb. 4, wearing a bright-blue snow suit and strapped into his car seat. Eight days later, he was found in the same position, said Peoria County State's Attorney Kevin Lyons during a bond hearing for the parents, who are charged with capital murder for their son's death.

"It's the worst case of child neglect we have seen since the turn of this century," Lyons said afterward. "(On Tuesday), I told (Peoria Police) Chief (Steven) Settingsgaard that this case even rattled me."

Read the case file

Tracy Hermann

James Sargent

Charged are Tracy D. Hermann, 21, and James E. Sargent, 23, both of 3012 W. Proctor St., with two counts of first-degree murder. Additionally, the charges state the parents' actions or lack thereof, were "brutal and heinous . . . indicative of wanton cruelty," factors that could mean they face up to 100 years in prison if convicted.

Lyons also said he might seek the death penalty for the two and has 120 days to make such a decision. State law allows a capital charge if the accused is older than 17 and the victim is younger than 12.

"He died from starvation due to neglect from these two defendants, his parents," Lyons said, spitting out the last word with contempt.

Several courthouse employees gathered in the third-floor courtroom for the hearing; many curious as rumors had been circulating throughout the day about the case. When the two walked into the room, the idle chatter immediately stopped and all eyes stared at Sargent and Hermann.

During the 20-minute hearing, both parents appeared before Circuit Judge Glenn Collier. Sargent said virtually nothing and carried a blank look on his face. Hermann told Collier her attorney was in Hawaii so she requested a court-appointed lawyer.

Collier ordered the two held without bond, pending a hearing Friday afternoon when it is expected that Lyons, who has indicated he will prosecute the case, will present more evidence as to why the two should not be released pending trial.

Peoria County Coroner Johnna Ingersoll said Wednesday afternoon Benjamin weighed 10 pounds when he was found by police. He was nearly eight pounds at birth, she said.

Reading from a prepared statement, Lyons said police found the infant sitting in his own waste, all the while strapped into the seat which was in a crib.

A person who was staying at an unattached garage adjacent to the house had seen Benjamin at some point, thought it was "odd" that he was still on the living room floor after being dropped off and moved him, car seat and all, into the other room.

There Benjamin sat for eight days, most of which both Hermann and Sargent were home, "playing video games, watching TV, feeding and caring for themselves," Lyons said afterward.

Police had interviewed Sargent, who at first told them he had moved the baby "once or twice," but later conceded that he might not have moved Benjamin at all during the week, Lyons said.

"The person from the garage tells police that Benjamin was found just as he had left him eight days earlier," the prosecutor said.

Hermann's last contact with her son was the night before police were notified. Then, she allegedly told police she "looked at the baby in the crib and presumed he was sleeping so she said she stuck a bottle between the baby and the side of the car seat so that when he woke up, he could grab it and feed himself," Lyons said in open court.

"In case the court had missed it earlier, Benjamin Sargent was five months old," he said, staring directly at Hermann.

The house, Lyons said, was in complete disarray, with clothing everywhere and spoiled food left out. The temperature in the baby's room was nearly 80 degrees and was also filthy, he said.

Hermann then left for Iowa to meet with a man she had met over the Internet, the prosecutor said, noting that she allegedly told police "that Benjamin was not her duty and that it was James' responsibility."

When asked if either exhibited signs of mental illness, Lyons said they showed no such signs from the state's point of view.

"Police noted that she seemed callous and somewhat annoyed with the process, something similar to what she showed in the courtroom today," he said.

Prosecutors from Lyons' juvenile division have already begun proceedings to permanently remove Hermann's 3-year-old daughter from the home. That child was staying with another family member but is now in foster care with Department of Family and Children's Services

this sickens me!!! the worst part is they even moved the child from the room they were in to his bed room never taking him out of his seat and we all know why they moved him so they wouldnt have to hear him cry it never says that but you know! can you even imagin! no i cant i cant even fathum that! i know how my daughters crys are when shes hungery after an hour of not eating but 8 days!!!

Quoting marshaam:

We all know about the 5 mo. old baby boy that was found starved to death in his carseat.  Well I was searching about the trial, and it seems as though the 'parents' (if that's what you wanna call them) won't get the death penalty.  I don't know if that's a good thing or bad thing.  Yes I want them to live a horrible life, but at the same time I don't want to pay my taxes so they can have 3 meals a day and a roof over their heads either.  I don't know if giving them the death pen. is just letting them off the hook since seeing as how it would have been lethal injection anyway which we all know is painless.  IDK, but it doesn't matter what I think, because it's irrelevant, it is what it is.  What about y'all?  Do you think they should have gotten a painless way to die or do you think it's okay to pay for their meals and housing?  I'm stuck on the whole thing.  Because if you ask me, they should die the same way that poor baby did.

justinnaimee
by Bronze Member on Jan. 16, 2009 at 6:02 PM

I remember reading this story and just sobbing. I had to hold my baby close for a while. That poor poor little boy. Can you imagine how scared and confused he must have felt. I think the parents should be given to the biggest meanest most tortureing inmate they can find and say do whatever you feel like doing to them.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN