Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

we just got married...

Posted by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 12:23 AM
  • 8 Replies

My dh & I got married this year & arent sure if we should file our taxes together or seperate?? Anyone know which is better & why?? Thanks ladies!

by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 12:23 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
aimeezoellner26
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 12:33 AM

I dont know, weve always filed together, I have no idea which way is better... sorry I cant be of more help but heres a bump for ya :)

jennifer16
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 12:34 AM

You will get a better tax refund if you file married filing joint

jenr97
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 12:40 AM

It almost always makes more sence to file together. If you don't it's almost like filing two separate returns as single people. The one time that it is definitely better to file separately is if one of you owes money that they can garnish your wages for. They can take the return if you do. If you file together they can take the whole return, and you have to fight o get the portion that wouldn't be involved. If you file separately, then it's easier to get the return that's not involved in the garnishment.

Hope this helps.

Jennifer

LisaKelz
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 10:32 AM

Quoting jenr97:

It almost always makes more sence to file together. If you don't it's almost like filing two separate returns as single people. The one time that it is definitely better to file separately is if one of you owes money that they can garnish your wages for. They can take the return if you do. If you file together they can take the whole return, and you have to fight o get the portion that wouldn't be involved. If you file separately, then it's easier to get the return that's not involved in the garnishment.

Hope this helps.

Jennifer

That is what we are afraid of. My dh made alot more money this year than he has in the past (he finally graduated college) and he has nothing to claim - no dependents or anything..... so we are worried he will owe big time! But we'd still like to get a little something back!!

mommytoG
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 10:34 AM

Did you get married in 08 or 09. If you got married in 08, it would be better to file married  because its more complicated if you do married but seperate. However if you just got married in 09 then you file seperate

mommyslate
by Member on Jan. 21, 2009 at 10:36 AM

By "tax law" you are supposed to file based on whatever your status is on 12/31/08.  If you were considered married on 12/31/08 then you should file married.  My tax lady told me no one ever benefits from marrief fililng seperately unless they have a self owned business and a lot of texes to PAY etc, so she told us to always do married filing jointly.  HTH

rockinmomto2
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 10:38 AM

If you got married in 2008, you should file together. You'll get a bigger refund. Good luck!

..JessIca..
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 10:41 AM

I think that if you got married in 09 your gonna have to file separate. Because the taxes are for 08 and you weren't married in 08.... better safe than sorry.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)