Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Teen SD that drinks almost only water and alot of it. And has no common sense. Read more details

Posted by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 7:33 AM
  • 8 Replies

Okay, I have noticed that at dinner she only drinks water. She comes home from school drinks water. More like guzzles it after school. Basically anytime that is not a meal time she guzzles it. Then I got woke up last night to her going downstairs to get more water. In the middle of the night. Which is why I think she is so sleepy and nasty all day. Can't make common sense decisions such as not walking home in 8in. of snow in 18 degrees , 2 miles. In tennis shoes, no scarf, or gloves. We have a very strict rule of call before you go anywhere unplanned. She used the excuse she didn't want to bother us. I stay at home to cook and clean. Bother me I am a parent. DUH bother me. That is what I am here for.  The reason missed the bus is she didn't finish the exam in time to catch the school bus. Oh well. Stuff happens we understand that. Your brain not working to say first off this isn't  a good idea and second I could loss fingers or toes.

So, any ideas about the water?

Or the common sense?

by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 7:33 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
PandTsmomjuly
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 7:40 AM

I've heard that needing to drink a lot of water, even getting up at night for it, could be a sign of diabetes or something else. I'd get her checked.

As for the common sense about walking home, it could have been a comment a parent made and she took the wrong way, could even have been BM if she sees her.

When I was 10 I lived with a family and the parents were talking with each other and said that if we (the kids) missed the bus more than once we would have to walk. I missed the bus and walked. Took me 2 hours to walk to school, in a skirt, flat dress shoes, snow and 3 degrees outside. LOL. All because of something they didn't mean that wasn't even said to me.

psychic test, psychic development and psychic readings
Aphrexia
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 7:41 AM

Have you thought about having her tested for diabetes. An excessive thirst is one of the signs. That is how they managed to diagnos one of my daughter's friends was him drinking water almost constantly. A blood sugar imbalance could also explain the lack of good decision making. Just a thought.

PrttyMstng
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 7:43 AM

Water is a healthier choice to drink but if she can't satisfy her thirst and urinates frequently it could be a sign of diabetes. My other thought is if she's using water alone to control her weight and not eating enough nutrients it could also be a sign of an eating disorder. This could possibly cause slower thought function. Otherwise, water is very healthy for the body.

marathonmama04
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 7:43 AM

Something else in the water?

mom2ljh
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 7:46 AM

Extreme thirst can be indicative of diabetes.  I'd definitely have it looked at by a doctor.

Amanda~Cloth Diapering, Non-Spanking, Attached Mommy to my little miracle, Landon Joel, born 6 weeks too soon, 6-21-07, former refluxer, multiple food allergies, coolest kid on the block!

Then                                           Now

Rlambert6002
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 7:47 AM

Hmmm....as far as the water I can think of a couple of things right off hand. First, being thirsty all the time is a sign of diabetes so I would have her checked at the doctor as far as that. Also, I know a couple of young girls who have eating disorders and drink water all the time to try to stay full from it so they won't eat.....so have you noticed a change in your sd's weight or eating habits lately? Keep that in mind as well. As far as the common sense....I have the same problem with my now 17 year old dd. All I know to advise you is to get her into some counseling.....for one they can generally detect problems of a developmental nature if that happens to be the case. And if it's not developmental they will help her work on using strategies to develop better decision making skills. My dd will be 18 in April and it was a huge concern that she was going to be going out into the "adult" world with the mentality andf actions of a 12 year old. I am happy with our desicion to get her into counseling. It helps when I am explaining to her why a decision she has made is not a good decision to have an alli and she understands that I'm not just picking on her now.

Lilypie Kids birthday TickerLilypie Kids birthday Ticker

TickerShack.com Ticker

Daisypath Next Aniversary Ticker

marissa615
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 7:51 AM

Like the previous posts say it could be a sign of diabetes...but if levels are off it will affect many aspects of your daughter.  When one organ is affected it trickles over to ther oragans and so forth.  Out of wack sugars can affect your mind. So, the common sense thing could all be related.  Take her to the doctor.  Make sure they do a blood test called a hemaglobin A1C.  This is the only blood test that detects diabetes or diabetec tendencies in the blood, a striaight fasting glucose won't cut it.  Good Luck!!

dawn8379
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 10:25 AM

Thank you! That is what I was thinking. She is border line over weight actually.  Last time she was at the docs for ? I can't remember why but it was about 2 months ago. She was 5ft 5 in tall and like 160lbs. She is teatering right in the fine line if she didn't already hit that mark. SHe does nothing but read, listen to music and a few chores. We have to go as a family to get her moving. Good things she starts gym on monday. She is in counceling she doesn't see BM much because she it not a good provider my DH is working on get the other D from her now along with a huge list of other stuff. But the no common sense comes from that side alot but we have told her over and over again. If you need something ask. She will wait till she has her last maxi pad and say I need pads. Like I am supposed to run right out now. I use Tampons and panty liners (sorry if it was TMI) so I am not much help to her one she does this other than offer to give her some of my stuff. But no way am I going to store at 9pm. She is 16 we have only had her for 1 year. It is hard to learn everything and care for her with no medical, mental nothing history just what she tells us. I am doing my best to provide her with everything I provide for my boys. And the whole water thing is kinda weird. She didn't even ask for Coke at dinner last night with pizza. Put then again at the grocery my boys will say can I have thus & so and she wont ask for anything she will say oh that looks good or something like that. I said one day if you like it ask me to buy it. Otherwise just because you said oh that looks good doesn't mean you want it. That happened with a pair of jeans at goodwill. She said oh those are cute. I said I will get them if you will wear them. 2 weeks later she brings them to me she doesn't like them that much anymore. WTHeck. So see where I am confused and tired of wasting money I don't always have. I have wondered about the water thing along time though. We have juice, milk, tea and sometimes pop. I don't get it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)