Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Confused....

Posted by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 8:54 AM
  • 5 Replies

I started applying to graduate school. The deadline is February1st and I have everything almost ready to send out. It is a 2yr. program which will lead to my MA in counseling psychology and once I pass a licensing exam, I will be able to have my own practice. I  started an MA program right after college first in psychology, then I switched and got into the MA for English but in the end I dropped everything because I was a mess at  the time. I was the only one of my friends who graduated in 4 years and I had all these time line plans back then. For a long time I felt like I had missed my chance and I was too old to go back. Now I have come to see that as my husband put it I can be 38 with an MA and a chance at a career I enjoy or I can be 38 without it, either way I will still be 38.  The thing that confuses me is we have 2 great kids but I want more, at least one more. I feel like I am running out of time and I am not sure how or if it is possible to do both things. I know my being an only child has a lot to do with me wanting to give my kids more siblings. I am scared because I am older and I know there are health risks. I am also worried what if I start the program and then get pregnant, then what? My hubby is fine with us stopping at 2 kids, he says financially it makes more sense. I tend to be less logical about such choices. I wish I knew what to do. I wish someone could tell me they have been through it.....

by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 8:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
ain-gell72
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 9:00 AM

i have been through as much as you! lol

i am 37, getting ready to start school in march fro my associates in registered nursing, and want more kids! we have tried to get pregger, but it hasn't happened yet. i have placed it all in the Lord's hands. ( i just hope he doesn't want to play a cruel joke on me, and me get pregger at 45!) lol

seasidearms
by Member on Jan. 21, 2009 at 9:17 AM

Quoting ain-gell72:

i am 37, getting ready to start school in march fro my associates in registered nursing, and want more kids! we have tried to get pregger, but it hasn't happened yet. i have placed it all in the Lord's hands. ( i just hope he doesn't want to play a cruel joke on me, and me get pregger at 45!) lol

so do you thik what would you do if you became pregnant while in the program? I mean ofcource youc an be pregnant and go to class but after the baby is born then what? That is what confuses me even more because a new born needs someone to watch it so I can go to class and with a husbnd who works full time, 2 kids in school and my tuition, I would have no extra cash for a babysitter..... I think I am thinking too much lol.  I am glad to hear others my age are going to school though :-)

mommy2000
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 9:28 AM

im not your age but at the same time i decided to have kids young, i knew that i would end up having them while in school. What i do is after the baby is born for the 6 weeks, i do online classes, and then when i go back to school there father takes care of them, its important that u have his support, i think if he cant help u and u dont have $ for a babysitter u should have another child because u will regret not going to school and meeting the goals that u wanted to meet for yourself.

ain-gell72
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 9:32 AM

it would be rough, that is for sure! but with my dh, my son ( who is 14, almost 15) i think it would be okay. we also live in a very small town, and everyone knows everyone, so a sitter wouldn't be hard to get, and i agree with the other reply, maybe have the online thing as back up.

Quoting seasidearms:

Quoting ain-gell72:

so do you thik what would you do if you became pregnant while in the program? I mean ofcource youc an be pregnant and go to class but after the baby is born then what? That is what confuses me even more because a new born needs someone to watch it so I can go to class and with a husbnd who works full time, 2 kids in school and my tuition, I would have no extra cash for a babysitter..... I think I am thinking too much lol.  I am glad to hear others my age are going to school though :-)

Lordgivemewizdm
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 6:27 PM

It makes sense for you to take an online course, then you would be able to care for your first assignment, that is your family.  As far as having children, it is truly a God thing to want to have them.  I have 9 as you can see from my pic, and I am so thankful for each and every one of them. I am 43 and I have not decided to go back to school yet, but in the mean time and in between time, God has allowed some pretty incredible things to happen in my life.  I can still go back to school, and maybe I will, and maybe I won't, but I know that I can always do that.  At age 88 I can go to school, having a sound enough body to carry a child... well, let's say having a baby at 50 might be pushing it.  You are not losing anything by having another sweet baby, only gaining.  It is important to pray, ask God to help you and your husband come to an understanding and then work towards that. Try not think too much about any one thing, God will bring it to you when you need it.

Be blessed!

Quoting seasidearms:

Quoting ain-gell72:

Lordgivmewizdom
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)