Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

please read.. 1st time mom.

Posted by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 9:59 AM
  • 9 Replies

okay my daughter is ten months old.. when should i start really downing her bottles and giving her food? she has 4 8OZ BOTTLES a day then snacks on foods the rest of the time. she's going to daycare and i'm worried they won't feed her food because she is so picky!! i'm affraid they'll just give her bottles. oh and she is going to be there during the day while i'm at work so i'm affraid she'll never learn to be on food.

any advise?

by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 9:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
baileysmommy7
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 10:01 AM

well my daughter is 9 months old and is mostly on food has about 3 7-9oz  bottles a day...and then eats breakfast lunch and dinner (food)...but i never had a problem getting her to eat she was always interested...what i did is at eating time i would put her high chair at the table with us and then she would kinda fuss for the food...that is an idea...and i dont know much about daycares so i can't help you there im sorry good luck though.

lilmansmom13
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 10:04 AM

My son is 10 months and eats breakfast, lunch, and dinner with maybe a snack or two in there as well. He eats everything we do now. He started cereal at 3 months and has worked his way up to this. Does she eat cereal or baby food or anything? My son also drinks about 3-4 8oz bottles a day too.

If she knows how to feed herself you might try giving her a baby mummum (you can get them at walmart) or some of those gerber puffs. If you think she might have trouble feeding herself or might choke on bites you can get her one of those mesh bags (also at walmart for like $2) we used them to start our son on food and gave him like bananas, apples, peaches, pears, or gerber meat sticks in the bag and he loved it!

Good luck , let me know if I can help out more!

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

kaymarie1473
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 10:05 AM

She will still need at least 24 ounces of formula a day(im pretty sure thats how much) but you can start giving her soft things and things that are disovled rather quickly. Spaghetti, mash potatoes, things like that. Just make sure to cut it up in little pieces or mash it all together. By 10mths my son was eating pretty much everything we ate. He also had a full set of teeth lol.

baileysmommy7
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 10:06 AM

those gerber puffs are amazing!! my dd loved them!

Quoting lilmansmom13:

My son is 10 months and eats breakfast, lunch, and dinner with maybe a snack or two in there as well. He eats everything we do now. He started cereal at 3 months and has worked his way up to this. Does she eat cereal or baby food or anything? My son also drinks about 3-4 8oz bottles a day too.

If she knows how to feed herself you might try giving her a baby mummum (you can get them at walmart) or some of those gerber puffs. If you think she might have trouble feeding herself or might choke on bites you can get her one of those mesh bags (also at walmart for like $2) we used them to start our son on food and gave him like bananas, apples, peaches, pears, or gerber meat sticks in the bag and he loved it!

NiChOlE06
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 10:07 AM

Quoting lilmansmom13:

she is very very picky about her baby food also. she started at 6 months like normal babies but went thru a stage of  refusing until she was 8 months so she's a late starter. she chews good she just is picky.

Matthewsmama75
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 10:11 AM

You could send her the food for her to eat, and only send the amount of bottles (already made)that you want them to give her. This way they can not give her all her bottles and not her food and you can send what you know she will eat.  Also tell them what your doing and maybe they will help you out with it.  I use to work in daycare and parents would start taking out bottles and not tell me and i would get so annoyed lol!

Matthew

baby boy

7/5/2008

lilmansmom13
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 10:11 AM

I would try to give her big people food. Like mash potatoes, applesauce, soups, anything really that she wont choke on. And try one of those mesh bags for other foods that she might have trouble chewing up. My son went theough the stage too of refusing baby food so we just gave him what we where eating. My osn now loves everything. they say also that a baby needs to try a food atleast 10 different times to determine if they really like it or not.

Quoting NiChOlE06:

Quoting lilmansmom13:

she is very very picky about her baby food also. she started at 6 months like normal babies but went thru a stage of refusing until she was 8 months so she's a late starter. she chews good she just is picky.

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

luvmycherubs
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 10:13 AM

Both of my kids were getting 3 meals a day and lots of finger foods by then, but of course they both had nearly a full set of chompers by then too. Formula was supplemented because they still need it.

4LifeTupperware
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 10:17 AM

I have seen most kids eat very well at day care, because everyone else is eating also.   I know the two day cares i have worked at and the one I ran ( I run one now but not have any babies there than mine)  That when they are under the age of like 16 to 18 months we asked parents to bring there own food for the baby.  One day care I worked out we didn't have a kitchen so all the kids had to bring there own food.

I would just let them know that you started food later than some, but that doctors are now saying that 6 months to start cereal is better, so your doing great,  Make sure that you bring many diff kinds of baby food for her, because sometimes they will eat diff things when someone else is feeding them.

Baby puffs from Gerber or off brand are nice, rice is good, carrots, peas, green beans..  are things that she might be able to handle now.

I have a 11 month old and he eats everything above, mashed potatoes, chicken small bites of it... Almost anything we are eating he can have some, but we still give him baby cereal in the morning made with juice and someone a furit, he has lunch I am using up the rest of the baby food, but he likes things thick so I have to add baby cereal to any baby food I give him to make it thick..

Also ask the day care to log for you what and when they are feeding her and how much she eats... if they are a good day care they will already do this... also with how many diapers they change and what she does that day... but I would ask anyway...    If you don't like how they are feeding her or whatnot, talk to them about it... they are there to make you and your baby happy... so be open with them about what you want to happen

Quoting NiChOlE06:

Quoting lilmansmom13:

she is very very picky about her baby food also. she started at 6 months like normal babies but went thru a stage of  refusing until she was 8 months so she's a late starter. she chews good she just is picky.

Melanie, Wife for 14 years and a Mom, to 13 year old daughter, 10 year old son, 3 year old son, 11 month old son and two angel babies that would also be 11 months old, and Tupperware Consultant!   "Only one life, will soon be passed, only what's done for Christ will last."          

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)