Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Transition to sippy cups.

Posted by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 10:35 AM
  • 11 Replies

I am kind of worried i did the transition to early...my dd drinks stricktly out of sippy cups and she is 9 mo. old...i was just wondering when you all did the transition and if that seems okay or not..

oh and NO BASHING

by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 10:35 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KimG1028
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 10:39 AM

I think you're doing fine...9 months and she's completely on the sippy?  That's great, in my book. 

steffielou_who
by Silver Member on Jan. 21, 2009 at 10:40 AM

My oldest was 1 but my LO was 10 months and as long as yours seems comfy with a cup, use it... The WIC office here asks that all children be off the bottle by 8 months..

mamaof2boys148
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 10:45 AM

i started the sippy at 6 months jucie only and when he used his last bit of formula (the weekend after his first b-day) he had only sippy cups. he is now 22 months and drinks from a regular cup during the day and sippies for bed and nap.

arickasmommy
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 10:52 AM

my dd was strictly on sippy at 9 months.. i think its great... if she can hold her own bottle and turn it up then she can hold her sippy  and do the same...

way to go for getting rid of the bottle... YAY

Mom2GabeAndHope
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 10:56 AM

This is about what my son did. My daughter got her first sippy for Christmas and that is all she drinks from now. (She is 10 months old)

Quoting mamaof2boys148:

i started the sippy at 6 months jucie only and when he used his last bit of formula (the weekend after his first b-day) he had only sippy cups. he is now 22 months and drinks from a regular cup during the day and sippies for bed and nap.

pd4now82
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 11:16 AM

GREAT JOB!!!!!

AND good job to you other Mommas too!   Way to go!

DD didn't go to sippies only until her 1st birthday, that was the day we had no more bottles.  It went over great (she had sippies for snacks since 10 months, but not dedicated to it until 1 yr).  AND I WAS BEING CRITICIZED BY FRIENDS AND FAMILY AROUND ME FOR GETTING HER OFF THE BOTTLE COMPLETELY AT HER 1ST BIRTHDAY!!!!   They all thought I was hurting her by taking it away at 12 months!  GOOD GRAVY!!!!!!  Hearing these other responses encourages me.  :-D

HarleyMama2008
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 11:29 AM

My son was about 8 months old and my daughter was about 10 months old.  I guess with my son being my first born, I was more anxious to get him off the bottle, to where with my daughter, I didn't really work at it, but she took it right away.  They say it is good to have them off of it by the age of 1.  My doctor was impressed!

KimG1028
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 12:24 PM

The other day at the indoor playground there was a child that was holding a bottle...she had to of been at least 2...and probably closer to 3....  That was pretty surprising to me. 

sshene719
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 12:33 PM

MY OLDEST, NOW 3, WAS ON A SIPPY FOR ALL BUT 2 MEALS BY 4 MTHS AND THEN STRICTLY ON ONE BY 7 MTHS. MY LIL ONE IS A PREEMIE SO I TRIED AT 5 MTHS (3MTHS ADJUSTED ) AND HE DIDNT TAKE TO IT. HE WAS FULLY ON A SIPPY BY 8 1/2 MTHS (6 1/2 CORRECTED) AND IS DOING GREAT! NOW 10 1/2 MTHS (8 1/2 CORRECTED).

I SAY YOURE DOING GREAT!!!!

I ALSO TOSSED MY OLDEST SIPPYS WHEN HE WAS 2 YRS 3MTHS...JUST THREW THEM AWAY AND HE HAD NO CHOICE BUT TO USE A REG CUP....HE DID GREAT WITH THAT TOO.

baileysmommy7
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 12:37 PM

yeah it is rediculous to see some children with bottles my friend has a son that turned 3 in november of 08 and he is still on the bottle...as is her 18month old...its crazy...but that you all for your help

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)