Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tax question

Posted by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 11:16 AM
  • 17 Replies

My boyfriend is claiming me and our child this year and I was just woundering how much do you get for you first child ?

danielle1.gif picture by caitmlodesigns

by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 11:16 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
BrittanyBagford
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 11:18 AM

I'm not sure, I was wondering this too. I thought earned income was a certain amount per child but someone else told me it wasn't but I'm not sure.....

sgilbert211
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 11:21 AM

Families must have taxable earned income above $8,500 to qualify for the Child Tax Credit refund.

Workers, and qualifying children, must have either a Social Security number or an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN).  The IRS provides ITINs to people who are unable to obtain a Social Security number.  A Social Security number is not necessary for the Child Tax Credit; an ITIN is sufficient.  This is different from the rules for the Earned Income Tax Credit, which require a Social Security number.

How much can families get from the Child Tax Credit?

The Child Tax Credit is worth up to $1000 per child.  The credit is partially refundable for families with earned income above $8500 during 2007.  "Refundable" means that the credit provides cash back if no taxes are owed.  Not all families qualify for the full credit.  In general, the credit is phased in as  earned income  goes above $8500, until the maximum credit is reached.  The credit is gradually phased out at very high income levels.

SAHM of 2 formula fed, fully vaxed,

non co-sleeping, PERFECT kids!

dosthepost
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 11:22 AM

Idk, but he can't "claim" you... he can get an EIC for you, but he can't claim you like he would a child. I got 1000 on my child tax credit and 450 on my EIC.

Miranda926
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 11:25 AM

I am pretty sure it depends on how much you made, when I was single raising my daughter I only made 13,000 for a year and recieved 3,400 for her in EIC payments, but if he is claiming both of you it probably wont be that high.  I recieved a paper in the mail the other day that said if you made under 40,000 and had 2 kids the max on EIC was 4,500 dollars but I didn't look at the one for 1 child.  It may depend on what state you live in too.

sgilbert211
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 11:30 AM

As a PP said he can't claim you. That's what I had thought and I looked it up. Adults cannot be dependents. Now if you were married you could file a joint return but dependents are only those 17 and under. So a child credit will depend on his EIC.

danielle1982
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 11:33 AM

I didnt work at all last year. His tax guy said that I am conscidered a dependent. because he payed for everything. He made $38000 for the year

danielle1.gif picture by caitmlodesigns

dosthepost
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 11:34 AM

Like I said before, you can be a dependant without being claimed on his taxes. The ONLY way for him to get money for you is for you to file married/filing jointly and try for an EIC.

Quoting danielle1982:

I didnt work at all last year. His tax guy said that I am conscidered a dependent. because he payed for everything. He made $38000 for the year

sgilbert211
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 11:38 AM

This girl knows her stuff!! I did not work last year either however I am married and can file a joint return. Yes are you a dependent but not a claimable dependent. Before we were married my hubby could not claim me as a dependent on his taxes.

Quoting dosthepost:

Like I said before, you can be a dependant without being claimed on his taxes. The ONLY way for him to get money for you is for you to file married/filing jointly and try for an EIC.

Quoting danielle1982:

dosthepost
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 11:43 AM

LOL, this is new knowledge to me... I just did my taxes last night on TurboTax, and it explains EVERYTHING while you do it. I highly recommend TurboTax Free Efile.

Quoting sgilbert211:

This girl knows her stuff!! I did not work last year either however I am married and can file a joint return. Yes are you a dependent but not a claimable dependent. Before we were married my hubby could not claim me as a dependent on his taxes.

Quoting dosthepost:

Quoting danielle1982:

emfsmom07
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 11:47 AM

last year my hubby made 32,000. he claimed me and our first son. we got 5,000 back.

this year my nubby made 43,000 he claimed me and our two kids and we got  7,000 back

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)