Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

stupid ob nurses - in labor - update

Posted by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 11:42 AM
  • 37 Replies

So I just got off the phone with my dr office. I've been having burning/stabbing pains in the top of my belly and asked if they thought I should go to l&d or if they just wanted to make me an appt or whatever (my dr office is in the hospital). Know what they said? If you feel like you need to go to L&D  then go in.... umm wtf I call asking for your medical opinion and you give me that crap. Jerks I don't really feel like making an ass of myself over nothing, ya know. So now I'm wondering if I should go in or if I should wait. Why couldnt they just give be a friggin straight answer. So friggin helpful....

Well I got stuck at 5cm. I was at 5 cm for HOURS with contractions every 2ish minutes. Then my cervix started to swell and it was getting bad. THEN we found out she was face up so that's why my back labor was so bad. They gave me a choice of an Epi to try and reduce swelling or a spinal to get a C. I went with the epi. Within 10 minutes I went to a 6 and within 2 hours she was born (only 8 pushes). I've got some tearing and stitches, mostly internal, lvl 2 tearing. Looks like we'll be home Saturday morning. Paige is PERFECT, and has black curly hair (who knows where she got the curls). Nursing like a pro when she feels like it, shes a sleepy baby.

8 pounds 4.8 ounces

20 inches long

Visit my group! Jungle Bum cloth diapers  http://www.cafemom.com/group/97184

by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 11:42 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momof3jam
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 11:45 AM

I'm not totally sure, but I don't think they can really give you any straight advice in situations like that, legally... But I could be wrong. Just go in anyway - people go in for smaller reasons that that. I went in with my first THREE times for nothing! I got used to looking like an ass. Or if you can stand it long enough, make a doctor's appointment.

coffeefirst
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 11:47 AM

You should go in and not feel stupid even if it turns out nothing is wrong. You deserve to have some peace of mind when you're pregnant.

JenWard
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 11:48 AM

wow that is kinda rude. Have you try resting on side for a bit? If your in a lot of pain you should just make the trip to L&D. it better to be safe then sorry. If it nothing the L&D nurses won't make you feel silly for coming in.

Good luck

Kristjansmama
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 11:49 AM

Well, nurses cant diagnose...that is a docs job.  They aren't gonna be able to tell what is wrong over the phone anyway.  What kind of straight answer do you expect?  I agree....if you feel like you need to go in then go.  Why would you worry about making "an ass" out of yourself?  That's what they are there for....to check you out and make sure things are ok.  You are having pain....good enough reason to go in for me.  Trust your instincts

MikeysMom51108

If it's worrying you, go in. Who cares if you look like an ass? I'd rather go in, have nothing wrong, and look like an ass than not go in and later find out something was wrong, ya know? I made an ass of myself a few times when I was pregnant, but I didn't care. I just needed to know that everything was okay with my baby.

KaseyHickman

You know how many times I went in for something that was nothing at all. This is your baby if you feel something is wrong you shoudl go in. Or make an appointment and go see your doctor tomorrow. Good Luck sweety

A Mother to Andrew and a Wife to Kyle

toddler boyin love

bamawife
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 11:50 AM

I would call them back and ask again if you could come in to see your dr since you do not feel well.  If that fails, then heck yes I would go to the hospital.  Maybe when your dr has to show up in L&D to see you, you can tell him/her that you tried to come in to the office instead.

chiquilla82

just go anyways.. i went once for a false alarm.. i was having very intense contractions that were not letting up for four hours straight, and it got to the point i couldn't breathe. i went, and what do you know they stopped.. they kept me for a few hours to monitor me, and sent me home.. no biggie.. thats what they are there for..

sk_tennyson

See normally I would wait but with my first I never had a pain like this so I don't know. My OB in on vacation and will be back for my appt which is tomorrow. The nurse was really rude and kept saying stuff like 'well with your first baby sometimes you mistake braxton hicks for the real thing' and I had to keep telling her that this was NOT my first kiddo. stupid nurse.

I'm thinkin I might go get some shopping done to see if walking will help anything.

sk_tennyson
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 11:52 AM

I know the nurses can't diagnose me over the phone. I called because I wanted to know if they thought I should come in early for my appt (its tomorrow) or if I should just go to L&D.

Quoting Kristjansmama:

Well, nurses cant diagnose...that is a docs job.  They aren't gonna be able to tell what is wrong over the phone anyway.  What kind of straight answer do you expect?  I agree....if you feel like you need to go in then go.  Why would you worry about making "an ass" out of yourself?  That's what they are there for....to check you out and make sure things are ok.  You are having pain....good enough reason to go in for me.  Trust your instincts

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)