Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How cold is TOOO cold?

Posted by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 11:49 AM
  • 4 Replies

We FINALLY got some snow here in Ohio (my daughter was upset because we never got enough to play in) but it's literally 8 degrees by noon... what temperature should it be for me to allow her to play outside?  i really bundle her up, but don't want to risk frost bite on her face or anything... she's 3

by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 11:49 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
kenziesmommy624
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 11:52 AM

my rule its gotta be at least in the upper teens like 18* or warmer, and little or no windchill or at least a windchill thats above zero but closer to 10*, otherwise she won't get to play outside.

sk_tennyson
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 11:54 AM

the chance of frostbite when its above 0 and you are properly clothed is pretty slim. Let her go play and bring her in every 20 minutes to warm up.

Visit my group! Jungle Bum cloth diapers  http://www.cafemom.com/group/97184

chiquilla82
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 11:55 AM

don't let her go outside.. maybe its just me and i am paranoid, but i wouldn't let my kids out.. when i lived back east it was just as cold as you described.. we wanted to play in the snow, but it was just too cold.. so my mom would put a big towel over the table or on the kitchen floor, and brought in some snow for us to play with.. we wore our winter gear, and just played with our snow inside the house..

Tiff120686
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 11:58 AM

That's a good idea - I'll try that today

Quoting chiquilla82:

don't let her go outside.. maybe its just me and i am paranoid, but i wouldn't let my kids out.. when i lived back east it was just as cold as you described.. we wanted to play in the snow, but it was just too cold.. so my mom would put a big towel over the table or on the kitchen floor, and brought in some snow for us to play with.. we wore our winter gear, and just played with our snow inside the house..

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)