Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

my 2 week old isnt gaining much weight...advice please??

Posted by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 11:50 AM
  • 9 Replies

So my daughter was 6lbs 8 oz at birth and went down to 6lbs 2 oz before we left the hospital, which I know is normal...when she went for a weight check a couple days later she was 5lbs 14oz...then she began eating very good and went to 5lbs 15 oz..then 6lbs..4 oz.. we took her in yester day and she was 6lbs 3 oz..they wanted her to be at her birth weight but she lost an ounce..so the dr said to suppliment with formula after each feeding.. I really didn't want to do this casue I wanted her to only have breast milk. I understand its just temporary and she needs the calories.. anyone else have this problem with their newborn? Did they start gainig weight? I'm just a nervous first time mom! Thanks!!

by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 11:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
KaseyHickman
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 12:00 PM

I would just do what the doctor says thats all that I can say I really do not know alot about it.

A Mother to Andrew and a Wife to Kyle

toddler boyin love

ECMOM970
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 12:02 PM

I tried to breast feed my baby and I almost starved him because there was not enough good stuff in my milk - I know some of the breast feeding mom's will tell you this isn't true but it was for me (I say this cause I have had so many fo them tell me that it was an excuse).  I had to stop breastfeeding my little man and use formula!

ChazznRoccosmom
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 12:06 PM

Just nurse like crazy! Drink plenty of water, eat healthy, and don't let her sleep on the breast. Tickle her to wake her up.

I'm not gonna say don't listen to your doctor. But once she starts a bottle it'll be hard to get her to nurse. If you do, try to get the Breastflow bottle. They work like a breast. Most bottles turn them into lazy eaters, then they won't nurse and you lose your milk.

So nurse, nurse, nurse! and nurse some more! Eat some oatmeal to increase supply if need be. Be sure she's nursing every couple hours, and for ten minutes at least each breast.

Check the breastfeeding group for more tips.

Chazz     Rocco    Joey

baby boybaby boybaby boy

06-24-02   09-05-05   09-15-08

Melamma
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 12:18 PM

Girl, I agree with the Mom above! Nurse like crazy!

My daughter isn't gaining adequate weight. They told me she has to go on formula. I said no way. What else can I do. The doctor said to nurse on demand and start giving food right when she shows signs of being ready for it.

She was born 9 pounds. she is 9 months old now and 14 lbs. 13 ounces. She hasn't even doubled her birth weight yet.

It becomes an issue when they are not developing normally.

I wold just take care of yourself and nurse on demand.

Good luck Mama!!!!! *hugs*

bf 9 moPhotobucketPhotobucket

tscritch
by Member on Jan. 21, 2009 at 12:25 PM

I had this problem with dd. After a month she still wasn't back up to her birth weight. I took Fenugreek to help increase my milk supply. I ended up having to suppliment with formula because she wasn't gaining weight. She did great with BOTH formula and breast feeding. It's not the end of the world to have to ff. Talk to her Dr and see if there is anything else you can try, but in the end do what is best for your baby. GL

scrapin_mom
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 1:23 PM

My daughter was 7lbs 10oz when she was born on dec. 15th and then Friday when I took her to the doc. she only wieghed 7lbs 4oz. My doc is having me pump after everyother feeding and then the feedig that i am not pumping to give her some of the milk i pumped out. that way i am supplimenting with breastmilk. and make sure you are drinking lots of water that is really helping me.

KChmiel
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 1:25 PM

My son was 5 pounds 7 ounces and was born three weeks early (he was down to 5 pounds 2 ounces before we left the hospital).  We were told to supplement with formula to help get his weight up.  I would first try to nurse him but he didn't quite no how to latch on and suck.  (the lactation consultant said since he was born early he didn't have his sucking instincts).  I would pump and we would give him breast milk first, and then finish up with formula.  We supplemented with formula for the first week until my milk came in more.  It still seemed like he was having trouble getting my milk so when he would get frustrated and still seem hungry, I would pump and give him the rest in a bottle.  I'm sure that probably wasn't the right way to do things, but it worked.  I think I did that for a couple more weeks.  By the time he was 4 weeks old, I was able to switch to just nursing him.  He was up to 11 pounds at his 2 month check-up in Dec.

4LifeTupperware
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 1:32 PM

My best friend just went through this, and she too did not want to give her baby anything but BM... here is what she did and it worked well for her...

She took 3 days and did nothing but stay in bed with the baby, feedings baby every 2 hours or more if baby wanted... she ate high calorie meals, lots of water, oatmeal everyday ( will help keep or get your supply going good)  She made sure that the baby nursed long enough to get the hind milk, it's got all the fatty stuff in it that the baby needs.. so she would only nurse one side at a time, she would let baby fall asleep nursing so to make sure she got the good milk.     Feed baby sink to sink with you

She also took mothers milk tea, and some Fenugreek pills(3 pills 3 times a day)  it helps again with the supply

Also make sure you are drinking LOTS of water... you need WATER, and juice and other things don't count as water.. water water water

a good place to look for info that I know a lot of the breastfeeding mom's go to for help is kellymom.com  it has lots of good info on it..

I would also look into having a Lactation consultant come by and see how baby and you are nursing to make sure everything with the latching and things are going well..

Feed every two hours even at night  I know it's hard because I know your tired, but if you co sleep even with the playpen with the top sleeper next to your bed you will get more sleep then having to get up and move to another room

forgot something... make sure that the doctor is looking for weight gains at the ages off a breastfeeding chart, There is a chart for babies that are breastfeed  ( my doctor didn't have one, but I have heard people talk about them alot)`

Melanie, Wife for 14 years and a Mom, to 13 year old daughter, 10 year old son, 3 year old son, 11 month old son and two angel babies that would also be 11 months old, and Tupperware Consultant!   "Only one life, will soon be passed, only what's done for Christ will last."          

mommy-to-be1-17
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 2:10 PM

Thanks alot ladies for the advice!! I just hope she get up to her birth weight so I can stop worriing about it!! We go in tuesday to see so heofully she will be. I think I will pump and give her the bottle with the formula every other feeding so that she doesn't get too use to the bottle cause I don't want that to happed but I do want her to gain weight!! Thanks again!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)