Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Learning to Read

Posted by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 12:01 PM
  • 14 Replies

My son is in Kindergarten for the second time and he is having trouble learning his sight words and we are both getting fustrated does anybody have any advice they could give me to help him learn.

Tank you,

Becky

by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 12:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Smiley_Baby
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 12:04 PM

hooked on phonics

BeachMomof2boys
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 12:04 PM

Quoting Smiley_Baby:

hooked on phonics

I am a christian, private school sending, SAHM, used to be nurse before a Mommy of two awesome boys, happily married to my high school sweet heart, who's been through thick and thin, and still going. I pack up and go where DH job takes us. Who knows where we will be next. I am a proud republican who doesn't know squat about politics. But there is one thing that I am sure of and that is I love my boys with all my heart including my DH and would give my life for anyone of them. And last but not least my motto is "Live each day like it is your last and Go that extra mile, it's not crowded."
SFerber
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 12:06 PM

http://www.starfall.com  YOU and your son will LOVE IT!!!  It is no charge/freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

SexyTeacher1971
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 12:06 PM

I am a licensed NC teacher so I do know some about reading. Get him some help at school and/or home. There may be after school tutoring for students having trouble with reading. Get some simple phonic books to work on at home. You should also get him tested for a learning disability and dyslexia. If you want to you can send me a private message.

mommy2karsyn
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 12:09 PM

Quoting SFerber:

http://www.starfall.com/  YOU and your son will LOVE IT!!!  It is no charge/freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

OMG!!!  I went to that web-site and it is great.  I cannot wait to get home tonight and show it to my 2 (almost) 3 year old!!  THANKS!!!

canagirl95
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 12:12 PM

I homeschooled my kids til this year and we used Saxon Phonics which worked beautifully for the girls. My oldest son was reading Goosebump chapter books when he started kindergarten, but what else did I have to do besides play school with him> lol~ my 12 yr old finally got it with Barton, my 8 yr old, it just depends on the day!  I put word cards on the wall of their room for them to read and changed them periodically. I do the same thing with math cards. You can use 3x5 cards or buy a box of blank flash card @ a school supply store like GW School Supply or Lakeshore Learning. Good luck to you and pm me if you have any more questions!

Lisa in California

shajdinyak
by Bronze Member on Jan. 21, 2009 at 12:18 PM
Great advice so far mamas. Good wesite. I too was a teacher until I just had my baby. The only other thing I would say is practice nightly and talk to his teacher. She should b able to get him help during school hours pm me with any other questions.
MissiHampt
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 2:03 PM
mommytoG
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 2:07 PM

Definately Startfall.com. It is awesome and will like it too. They use that here in Texas and all of kids move on to the next grade because of it.

GabeNKateri
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 8:53 PM

he is being tested at school for the IEP classes but they think since he knows a handfull of words there isn't going to be a big discrepincy (spelled wrong) for him to qualify for it.   I just don't know what else to do for him at home cause he gets frustrated with me cause I ask him what a word is. Thank you for you advice.

Becky

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)