Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Playground tricks to impress your kids.

Posted by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 12:29 PM
  • 1 Replies

What can you reconstruct from your blurry childhood memories? Boisterous hide-and-seek games with your neighborhood friends? A sandbox where you used to “bake” fancy cakes? An old swing where you first met a boy that became a source of your fantasies? I can't recollect the layout of our first apartment but I can tell exactly how many steps were there between the swing and the slide in our neighborhood's playground. I can vividly describe how my friend slipped from the monkey bar and broke her hand, how one winter some fathers build a skating rink, or how I rode a bike around for hours, pretending to be a taxi. That playground was the center of my universe, a piazza of my life – to show, share, play, to be alone and to be together. I can not see it anymore like that. It seems to be a magic given only in childhood. Then it was real and now it is pretense – the games with princesses in castles, fighting soldiers, unsolved mysteries. I shall remember it next time I yawn when my kids request to go to the playground.

Here are some playground science tricks to impress your kids in their 'real' world.

• Pumping: Tell them that pumping on the swing shifts their mass strategically, making them swing faster. The most efficient pumping motion is the one that requires the most work: child should stand on the swing, squatting when swing reaches highest point on both sides and standing upright when swing is at the bottom.

• Yes, you can start swinging from complete rest - but it takes patience and persistence for a number of minutes. The best secret strategy: start pumping by leaning your body back and forth, then stand on the swing and squat to pump.

• Jumping from swing: teach them when to jump from the swing in order to enjoy the farthest flight into a sand or water. If they jump too early, close to the bottom of the arc, they do not have upward velocity that can fight gravity and keep them in the air for long. Plus the swing seat bangs them in the back. If they wait too long and jump at the highest arc point, when most of their velocity is vertical, instead of flying forward they immediately drop to the ground. Tell your kids to jump in the middle.

• Run: As soon as your kid touches the ground he should run forward, to prevent falling by inertia.

And since this all is reasonably dangerous, warn your kids of never ever trying it alone. And they will absolutely positively listen.

by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 12:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-1):
sunmoonstars
by on Jan. 22, 2009 at 2:15 PM

interesting!  you should post this in the science spot too :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)