Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

car seat information

Posted by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 1:00 PM
  • 7 Replies

My daughter is 9 months old and in a rear-facing car seat.  I have heard that when she is past 1 year old and 20 pounds I can get her in a frontward-facing car seat.  I was wondering, then, am I going to have to purchase a frontward-facing car seat and then later a booster seat?  They are pretty expensive.  Can I just get her a booster seat without the back when she is big enough?  What are your thoughts on car seats? 

by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 1:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
wells75904
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 1:04 PM

ONce she turns 1yr and 20lbs you can legally FF her, yes you will probably have to buy a carseat andt hen in several years buy a booster, but carseats will fit her for a while now, and you can get a backless booster when she is older, that is what my son uses (he is almost 4)

I am a PROUD Vaccinating, Circumcising, Spanking, CIO,  FORWARD Facing before 12mo, republican voting, disposable diapering, buying junk food with my food stamps, Public school sending, PRO LIFE under ALL circumstances (abortion is murder), anti-gay marriage, Israel Supporting, Church going, Christian SAHM mom who knows the bible is literal truth from cover to cover.  I don't tip unless you EARN it, you don't get a tip just because you don't make that much money so learn to wait on me good or find another job with a guaranteed income, I think the war in Iraq was justified and we should finish , not pull troops out, I dont like Obama but I am patriotic enough to respect his office, None of this makes me a bad mama any more than your decisions make you one.

Kristjansmama
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 1:04 PM

Graco Nautilus....best carseat EVER.  Many ladies on CM recommended it to me so I bought it.....LOVE IT.  Here are a few awesome things about it................. 

• 3-in-1 multi-mode Car Seat for longer use 20 pounds to 100 pounds
  • Extended 5-point harness for children 20-65lbs.
  • Converts to High-back belt positioning booster for child 30 pounds to 100 pounds
  • Converts to backless booster for child 40 pounds to 100 pounds
  • Steel reinforced frame for durability

dosthepost
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 1:05 PM

It's highly recommended to keep them Rear facing until at least 30 lbs. You can buy a convertible carseat that can back and foward facing.  Mine is even a high backed booster.

The reality is that at 1 year their spinal cord isn't strong enough for a wreck. They can be internally decapitated. My daughter is 23 lbs and will rear face until 35 lbs. She'll be in a harness until 60 lbs.

legal minimums are MINIMUMS... your child is not.

mom22gr8boys
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 1:05 PM

i sent you a message

beckygeiger
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 1:08 PM

I put my daughter forward facing when she turned 1. I bought a graco safe seat 2 but now I am planning on buying the Graco nautilus. I like that it can be harnessed to 65 lbs and also convert to either a high back booster or a backless booster

~Becky Geiger~ 

Alyssa Morgan 6-13-06

hurleydoll18
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 1:25 PM

While you can put a baby forward facing at a yr and 20lbs, it is not recommended and is far from being the safest option.  Convertible car seats rear face up to at least 30lbs so babies should stay rear facing until the convertible seat is outgrown.  Most convertible seats rear face to 35lbs (even the cheap ones).  Research rear facing or extended rear facing to find out why it is so much safer.  It is a proven fact that babies and toddlers are 75% safer in the rear facing position than forward facing. 

Convertible car seats will last your baby anywhere from 3-7 yrs old, depending on which seat you get.  If you purchase one that only harnesses children to 3-4 yrs old, a higher weight harnessing seat should be purchased since children at that age are still  not ready for a booster.  It is best to keep children harnessed to at least 5 yrs old.  By then, most will be mature enough for a high back booster.  A backless booster should not be used until the child outgrows a high back booster (around 7-8 yrs old)  The least expensive option for you that will keep your baby both rear facing as long as possible and harnessed as long as possible would be to purchase the Cosco Scenera for $43 and then something like the Graco Nautilus for $134.  The Scenera rear faces to 35lbs and forward faces to 40lbs.  It fits most children to 3-4 yrs old.  That gives you a few yrs to save for a higher weight harnessing seat like the Nautilus.  The Nautilus harnesses to 65lbs (around 7-8 yrs old) and turns into a high back and backless booster to 100lbs.  It will be the last seat needed for that child.  In 3 yrs, though, who knows what seats will be available to us and they may have better ones that are less expensive. 

LoriAnn87
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 1:55 PM

When my son was still rear facing we got him the graco comfortsport with also goes forward facing but I wanted something that would grow him and I got the nautlis 3 in 1 from graco and my son loves it. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)