Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What's the diarrhea diet?

Posted by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 1:15 PM
  • 4 Replies

One of my friends on here said something about everyone suggesting the diarrhea diet when you are sick...what is it?

by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 1:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
jenjobrien
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 1:16 PM

The BRAT diet is a traditional diet for children with upset tummies, nausea and vomiting, or diarrhea. Adults can use it, too.

The four elements are:

• Bananas
  • Rice
  • Applesauce
  • Toast

These are all foods that most kids like. The simple flavors are less likely to trigger nausea than more complex foods. There are no spices or strong acids to irritate an upset stomach. The BRAT foods are thought to act as "binders," meaning they're a little bit constipating. This can be a good thing when a child (or an adult) has diarrhea.

pambayens
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 1:17 PM

Bananas Rice Applesauce Toast or BRAT

teacher312
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 1:19 PM

I had heard BRAT.  I know the bis bananas, the r is rice, but I can't remember the AT.  Maybe applesauce and toast?

4LifeTupperware
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 1:22 PM

My doctor was just telling me that they are not telling parents do to the BRAT diet anymore for kids with the runs, that it's not good for them.

That applesauce will make it worse most times,  so just trying to keep liquids down and eating good foods with less sugar that would make them go more is better

Now for after the throwing up flu he said he tells parents they can do the BRAT thing because most of it is easy on the tummy

Yogurt is great for the runs with the live cultures in it, and rice

Melanie, Wife for 14 years and a Mom, to 13 year old daughter, 10 year old son, 3 year old son, 11 month old son and two angel babies that would also be 11 months old, and Tupperware Consultant!   "Only one life, will soon be passed, only what's done for Christ will last."          

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)