Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

depression

Posted by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 1:57 PM
  • 7 Replies

ok so I was on zoloft before I got pregnant with my son..I stopped it for him and was hoping I would not have to back on it.  He is almost 3 months and I can tell my depression is coming back...I am really, really bitchy and I snap at my 3 year old alot...the problem is that I am breast feeding and don't want to take medication while doin that.  I am feeling so guilty about stopping the nursing so I can start some meds or just dealing with my psychoness until I'm done...any advice would be great...anyone else have this problem?

by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 1:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
brettsmomma
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 2:00 PM

i dont have depression issues however dont feel guily if you need the meds momma! He needs his mother in the best health mental and physical more than he needs to be breastfed. i wasnt able to bf my son and had to ff and he is off formula and on milk now and doing great. No colds ear infections,etc.. Get yourself better for him he needs his momma !!!

Tiff120686
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 2:01 PM

I was told that zoloft was safe for pregnancy and breastfeeding.  They wanted me to take it and I did at first, but stopped after a few weeks.  I would think you not being depressed would be more beneficial to your child than taking zoloft... as long as it's safe. 

hunygirl
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 2:02 PM

I would say do what you feel is right for you and your family. Can't take care of your family if you aren't taking care of you. Was told this a long time ago by a family member. Who, I wish were here now. But she was right and I wanted to give you the same advice she gave me

Kristjansmama
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 2:08 PM

Yes, I had that problem.  I stuck it out as long as I could then went back on meds.

beckygeiger
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 2:08 PM

That would be a very hard decision for me too. I am currently trying to wean off my meds (zoloft) so I can get pregnant again. I am very pro breastfeeding but I know how miserable I was while I was depressed. I snapped at every little thing. I would research if there are any anti depressants that you can take while breastfeeding. I would also see if maybe counseling will help while you are not taking your meds. If you have to stop nursing  get back on zoloft, know that you are doing what's best for you and your family.

~Becky Geiger~ 

Alyssa Morgan 6-13-06

norbert
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 2:09 PM

Double check with your doctor I believe that there are depression medications that are safe to take while breastfeeding.  Please take care of yourself and if you really feel that it's not safe to be on medication while breastfeeding may be consider stopping. You have to take care of yourself so that you can be there for your little one.  Remember to put yourself on the list mama. You are just as important as anyone else in your family.

busymama_of3
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 3:12 PM

I'm pretty sure there are depression medications that can be prescribed to breastfeeding moms.  Talk to your doctor and remember that the best thing for your children is a mom who is mentally healthy.  Depression is very common, especially after giving birth and the best thing you can do for your children is talk with your doctor and find a medication that works for you and your lifestyle.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)