Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddler Bed..Help?(UPDATE)

Posted by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 2:09 PM
  • 15 Replies

K so Matthew is 20 months old, getting pretty tall in the crib so I decided to at least try changing his crib into a toddler bed and see how it goes for his nap time today..

Well its not really going well.. The key is consistency right? If he gets out put him right back in, right?? I heard that on Nanny 911,lol.

Anything else I should know???

Do you think 20 months is too young?? Thanks/.//

Update: Ok the Nanny was right,lol,the key is consistency.. After a half hour of him climbing out and me putting him right back in,he is now SOUND ASLEEP! Yay Matthew

Photo of Audrina Patridge, edited by Alyssa Howard

by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 2:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Brandie_xo
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 2:10 PM

Id leave him in a crib as long as possible. When he starts climbing out then id switch to a toddler bed

My daughter is fully vaccinated so yours doesn't have to be!

You're Welcome.

baby

pd4now82
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 2:12 PM

Yeah, I think the key would be consistancy, but I wouldn't know myself.  I plan on converting the crib to toddler bed this week for dd (she'll be 18 months tomorrow) because I'm pregnant and want to try to get her in toddler bed before baby comes instead of adding the stress after baby when the baby would need the crib if dd's still in jealousy, etc. over everything.  Getting it established now as routine so it's easier later.....

Plus....it's getting too hard for me to lift her up and over the rail (the rail doesn't really go down, I thought it did, but DH when he put it together told me it doesn't...and sure enough...it doesn't, or at least I haven't figured out how on either side to get it down).

But how "easy" it is at this age....I don't know......

GL! 

nokesmomof2
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 2:13 PM

i put my dd is a toddler bed at a little over 1 year old but she also still sleeps in the bedroom with us but in her own bed shes almost 3 now (in july she will be)

rayelinsragz
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 2:20 PM

I converted my son to a toddler bed around 18 months. I simply put a gate up to the door of his room and only did it during naps for 2 weeks then added in the nights. He became more familiar with the bed during the day when he could see it. It took about a week but as long as you are consistent putting him to bed and the time you do so it shouldn't take to long.

motherofhope98
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 2:25 PM

When they climb out of the crib, then I converted. I've never used a toddler bed though. Went straight to a twin size.  It's an unneccessary piece of furniture to waste equipment on.

----- Visit my CafeMom homepage at http://www.cafemom.com/home/motherofhope98
AlyssaH87
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 2:30 PM

His crib is a 2 in 1,its a bed and converts into a toddler bed.I didn't have to buy a new bed,I shopped smart...

Quoting motherofhope98:

When they climb out of the crib, then I converted. I've never used a toddler bed though. Went straight to a twin size.  It's an unneccessary piece of furniture to waste equipment on.

Photo of Audrina Patridge, edited by Alyssa Howard

andrea.e
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 2:31 PM

Don't go back whatever you do- Consistancy is everything.

It's always going to be hard at first- the hardest at first, but as long as he doesn't see you waiver it will pass with a lot of work and effort from the both of you. If it's time that's great- you can't hold back your baby forever and you're the only one that can decide when it's exactly the right time- but how you're going about it is great in my opinion... kicking off the change during the day in a nap time so you can set down the new rule while he's still refreshed enough to get the real fight out of him. Later on when it's late he's going to be pretty cranky, but as long as you stick with it he'll eventually come to terms with it and catch a few hours by himself in his new bed.

Mine put up a terrible fight- I think the first night I must have put him back in hos bed like 10+ times before I lost count in a mommy zombie haze.

Second night was more of the same, third was a little better but only because I stoppped checking him and he realized I was going to leave him alone in his own different bed whether he fought or not. It was a consistancy thing for sure- and even though I had my doubts it made it real hard on everyone if I seriously second guessed the decision or my own ability.

Keep at it momma- you got it like a champ and as long as you keep on it he'll be great.

: )

andrea.e
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 2:32 PM

Yay Matthew!! Yay Momma!!

Ilovemybbgrl
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 2:35 PM

my babygirl is 18 months and sleeps in a toddler bed. She was fairly easy to switch, it was a couple tries, but shes okay with it now =)

Good job! Dont get frusterated! its tough, but it will happen!! Good luck!!

Erin802
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 2:52 PM

My mom said I was a disaster when it came to a big girl bed!!! Eventually she put me in my bed and shut the door and if I fell asleep in my bed fine but if I fell asleep on the floor fine!

With my nephew we made a BIG deal about his big boy bed and he got to pick it out and got to pick the stuffed animals that he would sleep with he even picked out his sheets so we never had a problem with putting him in a big boy bed because he was so excited!!!! Hope this helps! My little one is only 11 mos. so I'm not sure when we will do a big girl bed but I think we will let her pick it out and stuff!

Oh maybe when he wakes you could clap and jump around and make a big deal about how big he is and praise him for being such a big boy and maybe he will want to sleep in his bed so he will get praised!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)