Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

tax advice (no bashing either)

Posted by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 2:43 PM
  • 19 Replies

i have 2 kids. one who i will always claim, her father has nothing to do with her.

the other is my son who i have with my current so. Last yr when we had him, we agreed that we would switch every yr on who claims him to get the tax credit. This yr, it is MY TURN!!!! i need this extra money to get a new car (an upgrade to make room for new baby). he has already told me that he is claiming michael this yr, and its not fair. He doesnt need that money. He cant drive so he isnt able to buy the car or pay the insurance. im also counting on getting extra so i can get my own place, i love my so, im not in love with him anymore and dont want to live with him. i have no money saved im counting on this money to help me out. He says im being selfish and that when i get my money, we are depositing it in his account...umm no i dont THINK SO!!!!!

Do i go ahead and claim my son without telling him or have a back and forth struggle to get it done? il l be getting my w2 next friday and im going to get them done asap. i need the money way before May.  He wants to wait until he can talk to his dad to file, i cant wait that long.

pregnancy calendar

by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 2:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hedtrippe
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 2:46 PM

claim him thats what id do

im married to military but hate the army,co-sleeping,montissori schooling,athiest,pro choice,breastfeeding kinda gal so now that we got that outta the way its nice to meet you

Brenna
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 2:47 PM

If you both claim him, you'll both be audited.

Ciuplys
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 2:48 PM

I think you should file your son. If  U had a agreement that you would take turns then he should keep his word.

heartsandskulls
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 2:55 PM

thats why i asked. i dont want that happening.

Quoting Brenna:

If you both claim him, you'll both be audited.

pregnancy calendar

gypsydancer7
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 2:57 PM

Whoever has him more than 50% of the time can legally claim him.

heartsandskulls
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 2:59 PM

we live together..but i spend more time with him at home does that count? lol

i just want to claim him and get it done with.not have a big long drag out like we did last yr.. he claimed him last yr, i should be able to claim him this yr. i need the money more then he does.

Quoting gypsydancer7:

Whoever has him more than 50% of the time can legally claim him.

pregnancy calendar

pambayens
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 3:00 PM

I would just get it done without him and when he goes to file just say that you needed the money now!

pattimarie
by Bronze Member on Jan. 21, 2009 at 3:01 PM

Claim him and then talk to a lawyer you obviously need an agreement written up on things like this.

Patti Marie
mom22gr8boys
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 3:03 PM

yall live together?what,do yall keep your money separate from each other?

ereilman
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 3:03 PM

I do taxes and I hear this all the time. Whoever has your son at least 6 months and 1 day out of the year is who gets to claim your child legally. If he does, then he will be subject to that penalty later. But from a legal standpoint, whoever had him those 6 months and 1 day. Unless, you have a court document that says you are to take turns claiming him each year. There is nothing he can do if he hasn't had him.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)