Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

sippycups/bottles/repostish.

Posted by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 4:01 PM
  • 16 Replies

i posted this in another forum, but didnt get any response.

Im a SAHM and i breastfeed. so, i've only introduced a bottle a few times. he's 6 months old. he's sick right now & i was told by the doc to give him pedialyte.

my question is - do you think he's too young to use a sippy cup? he's not taking the bottle & i think it's the nipple (it doesn't let the stuff out as fast as my nipple does)

i dotn really want to get him hooked on a bottle, i'd rather just go to a sippy cup. when did you guys switch your LO to sippy cups?

by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 4:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
skeadle
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 4:04 PM

I didn't introduce the sippy cup to my dd until she was like 8 months. But, I didn't breastfeed either. My opinion is that he probably won't get hooked on either one because he is used to breastfeeding. With the bottle they have to use a different sucking action. I don't know about the sippy cup. I think it would be harder to try and give him a sippy cup. But go with your instinct. If you feel that he needs to go on the sippy cup, then go for it. You raise him the way you want too. hope you get lots of help.

momofsam07
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 4:08 PM

I am not sure there is a set age for using a sippy cup. It really depends on the kid, I think.

At six months old, I he will probably be more likely to drink from a sippy if you hold it and assist him. Since he has not been bottle fed much, the idea of holding the cup and lifting it to his mouth may seem like a foreign concept.

We are still working on moving my son to a sippy cup, and he is almost 13 months old. He thinks the cup is a toy and would rather bang it on the table than drink from it. LOL!

times3mom
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 10:19 PM

I started all my girls on sippy cups at 4 months old and had them off the bottle at  around 9 months old.I think if you only breastfeed him I would use a soft spout sippy so he does not nipple confusion.

GabrielRiley
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 10:24 PM

I brestfed my son exculsivly(sp) until I went to work when he was 12 weeks and then my mom put him on a bottle for about a week and when he wouldn't take that he went to a sippy cup and has used them ever since. He still nursed till he was 17 months though so I think your ok with him not getting hooked on it. You can take the stopper out of the sippy cup and just pour a little bit in his mouth at a time till he figures out that if he sucks he will get the same affect

Miranda926
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 10:26 PM

I started giving my oldest daughter a plain ol' cup at 4 months, I know thats really early but she had a cleft palate and was going to have surgery on her mouth so the surgeon told me to get her off of all things that required sucking.  She actually took to it very well, and by the time my 2nd baby rolled around I tried the same.  She didn't take to it as well so I started using the Nuby cups with the squishy top and she loved them.  Most of them have the fast flow spout, so it shouldn't be a problem for your little one.  Good luck to you and God Bless

nickiturner04
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 10:27 PM

you can get nipples from wal-mart to go on the bottle that are fast flow... & if that doesn't work, do what i did... cut a little cross on the top of them... my child just started taking him sippy cup around 3 months ago and he's 18 months... but do whatever you feel is best :) good luck!

*Tyler's Mom*

Beth336
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 10:30 PM

You can get diff flow speeds slow, med, and fast.

But if he takes the cup its something you wont have to break later on so yea i'd give him the cup your supposed to start introducing it at 6 mo anyways. good luck if he dont  like the pedialyte i been told gatoraide is just as good. like i said i been told no saying it is

ARPsMom
by Bronze Member on Jan. 21, 2009 at 10:31 PM

I started giving my son a sippy at 6 months. He loved it.

4LifeTupperware
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 10:34 PM

He is not to young for a sippy and that is the way I would go, we started out kids out with a sippy at 6 months of age, so that they wouldn't be so hooked on the bottle

I would do a sippy and stay away from bottles

Melanie, Wife for 14 years and a Mom, to 13 year old daughter, 10 year old son, 3 year old son, 11 month old son and two angel babies that would also be 11 months old, and Tupperware Consultant!   "Only one life, will soon be passed, only what's done for Christ will last."          

FlairsaMama
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 10:45 PM

My daughter is a year old and she still chokes when she uses her sippy cup.  You can get nipples that let out a faster flow.  Regular grocery stores have them usually.

I breast fed up until 8 months, but I worked evenings, so she had to use a bottle when I wasn't home.  Most babies prefer moms boobies to a bottle.  So I wouldn't worry about it, specially if you are only using the bottle for pedialyte.  Be careful using that stuff though.  It has a TON of sugar in it.  If you do use it, I would try to feed the little one some plain yogurt once a day to prevent yeast build up. 

Hope he gets better quickly.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)