Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Slept through the night in the beginning...NOW DOESNT!

Posted by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 4:17 PM
  • 8 Replies

Boy am I sticking my foot in my mouth...my DD is 5 months old now, since she was 3 weeks old she slept through the night, about 8pm til 7-8am every single night with a possible 2 am wakeup every now and then. I used to brag about it all the time.

Now recently, about the last 3 weeks or so she has been randomly waking up a few hours after i put her down just crying and crying, I feed her, change her, swaddle her or unswaddle her, and she always wakes right back up in about an hour or so. At first I assumed it was teething, well now she has two bottom teeth that are completely through and slept through the night one more day then went back to what she was doing....Ive given her tylenol and orajel and it does NOT seem to soothe her so I am not even sure if it is the teething anymore, when this first started I tried laying her in bed with me to get her to go back to sleep and that doesnt even work anymore, I had to swaddle her so tightly to get her to go back to sleep and then she just wakes up crying anyway as soon as I put her down...anyone else ever experience this and what in the world can I do?

by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 4:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Kellileanne
by Bronze Member on Jan. 21, 2009 at 4:19 PM

My dd is 14 months now and she will go through phases of sleeping through the night (10-12 weeks, then about 4-6 months) and then gets up 5-6 times a night!  Yeah, crazy!

postermomt
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 4:20 PM

no but maybe she's gassy nad its bothering her when she's not active try changing her feeding schedule to get her last bottle in around 12 my son gets his last bottle around 12 no earlier then 11 and he sleeps till 6

lifelovekids
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 4:20 PM

she could still be teething even tho she has teeth already... it gets worse before it gets better... sorry :)
She could also be going through a growth spurt... so her muscles are achy... every night before bed after bath my son has gotten massaged with lotion.... every night... it helped him through the growth spurts
Also she could have seperation anxiety... 8 months is normal for it to start... so your lil one could be going through it early

This too shall pass.... its frustrating... but it will get better

arickasmommy
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 4:21 PM

well it could be her still teething ....  

have u talked to your pediatrician? i know with ear infections they won't sleep good at night.. how is her naps?

how many naps does she take a day?

Ladybug8412
by Bronze Member on Jan. 21, 2009 at 4:24 PM

If your LO is trying new tricks (i.e.--crawling, sitting up, or pulling up) sometimes this disrupts their sleep cycles.  My SIL's now having problems with her 7-month old with the SAME problems.  She used to sleep through the night at an early age, but now wakes up 3 or more times a night!  Good luck and know they grow out of this stuff eventually.

Chille01
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 4:27 PM

When they get an ear infection do they get fevers??? Because she is def not running a fever....

Quoting arickasmommy:

have u talked to your pediatrician? i know with ear infections they won't sleep good at night.. how is her naps?

arickasmommy
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 4:55 PM

yea she would prob be running a fever.. hmm

im not much help.. sorry..

when my dd was 5 months she would wake up in the middle of the night she just recently started sleeping thru the night...

Quoting Chille01:

When they get an ear infection do they get fevers??? Because she is def not running a fever....

Quoting arickasmommy:

lifelovekids
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 6:23 PM

NO they do not HAVE to run a fever... crazy thing about ear infections...
My cousin has 3 girls... NONE of them ever ran fevers when they had ear infections... they were a bit cranky... the only reason she knew that they had an ear infection is after their ear drums ruptured... and she found the "evidence' on their pillow. Or she would take them to the doc for a check up and the doc says your kid has an ear infection.
With MY son... he always ran a fever...
I dont think your child has an ear infection... signs to watch for are not drinking from a bottle, because its painful, not eating right, pulling at ears, watch for pus in ears... not ear wax... the pus is runny yellowish green

Quoting Chille01:

Quoting arickasmommy:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)