Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I need some much needed advice

Posted by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 5:01 PM
  • 6 Replies

My daughter is going to be two in a month and I had to replace her crib with a bed. She kept climbing out of the crib and onto the floor. I could not risk her climbing out and hurting herself, so I did what is best by getting her a toddler bed. Well she will not sleep in it and wants to sleep with me and my hubby. I have read books and I do not feel right about the advice given to me. Someone in my family told me to put her in her room and shut the door and let her cry it out. I do not feel right leaving her in her room alone. I will never shut the door and leave my kid in a room. Please ladies give me some tips, anything to get her out of my bed.

by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 5:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
jenjobrien
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 5:04 PM

Well theyre partially right.  You put her in there and when she tries to get up just put her right back in bed.  You can stand outside the door.  Or you can sit in there with her but dont look at her.  She'll get the point that its bedtime after you repeatedly put her back in her bed when she gets up.  Also if she cries its ok.  She'll eventually realize it wont do any good and give up.  But you dont have to lock her in there and let her cry by herself.

RachelKoch
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 5:13 PM

I agree that it is not right to lock a child in their room and let them cry until they go to sleep. My ex tried to make me do that and he held me down trying to keep me from going my my son and that did not go over well with me I bit him to make him let me go. But I do know what it is like to have a child climb out of her crib my daughter did it too but she would also climb into it when she wanted to take a nap. It is kinda different because my daughter and I have to share a room because we are staying with my parents. But I did get into the habit of taking her in to the room about a half hour before bed time and we would sit and read together or just talk and she would go to sleep. But you have to try different things to seewhat works for you and your children

Fetters4
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 5:18 PM

Thanks ladies. I read to her before bed time but I am going to do it in her room now and hope she goes to bed. The problem is she gets up in the middle of the night and wants to get in bed with us. I will just have to put her back in bed and let her cry and I will lay with her till she goes back to sleep.

MomPrincessMia
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 5:18 PM

Didn't read all the replies, but it is new and scary to your child. Try laying in bed with her and sneak out after she falls asleep.Later, sit in a chair and progressively move out of the room as she falls asleep. She'll tell you what she needs, just listen...

My 7-month-old, DH and I all co-sleep. We are transitioning him to his own co-sleeper. Scary for all!

Fetters4
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 5:20 PM

It breaks my heart that I am doing this to her but in the end it will be best for both of us. Last night I layed in the bed with her till she was a sleep but she kept waking up every two, three hours and having to go back in and lay down with her. I know it will get better over time, it is just hard seeing her get up screaming and crying.

milmiracle
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 5:21 PM

The only advice I can give you is, if you let her manipulate u into sleeping w/ u now at the age of 2, prepare yourself for many years of manipulation on her part.  Gently, slowly and gradually let her stay in her room. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)