Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

8 Month old daughter wont crawl

Posted by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 5:04 PM
  • 12 Replies

she shows a big interest of wanting to walk asap. she hates being on her belly. she can roll back to belly but not belly to back. how can i teach her to crawl? she shows interest of wanting to do it but when she does she goes backwards and it makes her upset.

any tips??

by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 5:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
arickasmommy
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 5:07 PM

she will get it.. my dd went backwards then one day she figured it out and she hasn't stopped since.

LittleBoPeep252

keep her on her belly alot and put a remote control out of her reach...she'll definitely want to crawl and get it! 

Mzrocks

SOME KIDS DON'T CRAWL, IT'S NOT EVEN A MILESTONE ANYMORE. MY DS NEVER CRAWLED, HE'S 13 MONTHS AND HE RUNS. IF YOU WANT TO ENCOURAGE HER GET ON THE FLOOR WITH HER INTERACT WITH HER, PUT SOME TOYS IN FRONT OF HER. I WOULDN'T WORRY :)

DIP ME IN HONEY AND THROW ME TO THE LESBIANS!!!!

dosthepost

Mine didn't crawl until 10 months.

mlg871
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 5:08 PM

I have no tips other than to put something she really wants out of reach and cheer and encourage her to come get it.  That's what I did. 

I will tell you though, my dd went backwards before forward too - I think that's normal and then she did what we called the dead leg drag where so would only use one leg and drag the other!  She didn't full blown crawl until about 9-10 months and it was very brief, as soon as she crawled she wanted to walk. 

hopesmommy220
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 5:08 PM

when my daughter started she would only do the army low crawl but after a while she started crawling, what i did was i got down on the floor with her and started crwaling around to try and get her to chase me. it took a little while. or she just might do it at her on time. try crawling around with her to see if that gets her going. hope it helps!

erin

ChazznRoccosmom
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 5:09 PM
She'll get it, mama, if she wants to. My babies just army crawled for a while. They didn't spend much time on hands and knees, then started walking. Sit just out of her reach and encourage her to come to you, or put a toy just out of reach. She'll find a way to it, and if it isn't by crawling, well, then don't worry, cuz she's finding other ways around.

Chazz     Rocco    Joey

baby boybaby boybaby boy

06-24-02   09-05-05   09-15-08

Carajust
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 5:15 PM

She will get it in her own time.  My guys did not crawl until 9 months or so.  They were both very frustrated for about a month before theyy figure it out.  But they did it on their own.

3teensinmyhouse
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 5:29 PM

Developmentally, it is normal to go backwards first.  It takes a little longer to figure out how to pull and propel yourself forward.  You can't teach a baby to crawl, you can only encourage them.  Just leave her on the floor as much as possible, there are too many babies that spend too much time in walkers / exersaucers / high chairs.... they need to be down and free and they will learn and develop at a faster pace.  

I know that there are many that never crawl nowadays, and I can't help but wonder if it is because they do not spend time on the floor.  Everyone is in a hurry for them to sit and walk, so they put them in exersaucers and walkers, one website uses the word "containers".  I do know that there are studies that show that young children do not have the upper body strength that they should have, and it is because they are not on the floor enough.  So, give her plenty of time on the floor and limit the amount of time in "containers". 

Families are like fudge......sweet with a few nuts!

Krysta622
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 5:53 PM

Don't sweat it.  My dd didn't crawl until 9.5 months, and was walking within 3 weeks.  DS did not crawl until 11 mos and walked at 15.  8 mos is still young.  She will get it in time.  Enjoy the fact that you don't have to chase her yet lol!  Like others said, she might skip the crawling. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)