Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Need advise on how to get my 1 year old off formula !

Posted by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 8:06 PM
  • 10 Replies

My son will be 1 this sunday ! And He should be sleeping through the night right? Well he wakes up 4 times during the night ! And all he wants is formula . Ive tryed water , juice, milk Ive tryed all of it ! My husband thinks my son is over weight he is 25 pounds and will be 1in 4 days ! is that over weight !He eats 3 meals a day plus snacks !

What can I do to get him off formula ?

How can I get him to go to sleep with out  being dependant on the bottel ?

by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 8:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hanksmom0207
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 8:08 PM

Our doctor told us to try half formula half milk... But luckly my son took milk one day b/c we were all out of formula and NO stor had his special kind... So I had to give him regular milk and thats all he's had since then

~*~Pounds to go til I can look like that up there~*~

Gabeys_Mommy
by Bronze Member on Jan. 21, 2009 at 8:12 PM

I wouldn't worry too much over it. My son weaned himself off and eventually I started giving him milk/juice during the day in those soft-spout cups. And I just cut the bottles off cold turkey(he didn't really care, though) and that pretty much took care of the formula. As for waking up, he was still getting up 1-2 times a night and our pedi just told him NOT to give him the bottle as they are old enough to go through the night without being hungry. It killed me not to but luckily my fiance is better with things like that.

We eventually got him to sleep through the night by only going to him if he was crying. If he whimpered we wouldn't go..and about 2 weeks later, wa la...he's now 13 months old and sleeps through the night.

As for the weight, my son was 26lbs at his 1 yr  checkup. He's always been in the high percentile for weight/height, though. (Born at 9lbs 5oz) And he eats three meals a day and snacks.

loomis6
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 8:13 PM

my baby is 1 and is 28 lbs.he still drinks formula.allergic to milk.he wont eat 3 meals a day he is a light eater but he loves the formula.

hamptonj
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 8:16 PM

MY DR. TOLD ME WHEN I WAS WEINGING MY DAUGHTER OFF FORMULA DO HALF AND HALF HALF FORMULA AND HALF MILK AT ONCE AND GRADULY LESS FORMULA, ALSO TRY HEATING UP THE MILK ONCE I DID THAT SHE DID NOT WANT FORMULA EVER AGAIN SHE CRYED FOR MILK. GOOD LUCK

aimeezoellner26
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 8:17 PM

I was gonna say water cause thats what worked for me but if that didnt work, I have no idea! Sorry, but heres a bump :)

wahm4dylan
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 8:17 PM

I was told to do half formula and half milk and then over a week time decrease the formula. I don't think your son is overweight at 1. Each child is different. As long as he is getting the right stuff and not eating a lot of junk food then I think it's ok for him to be at that weight.

mommy_maria
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 8:21 PM

Aww .. my daughter will be 1 on Friday! She is the SAME way ... well up until about 1 weeks ago she wasn't sleeping through the night. She did at one month up until about 7 months then didn't until about 1 week ago. I am in the same boat. I want her to stop going to bed with a bottle. Well yesterday my BF let her cry during her nap for about an hour before he caved and gave her a bottle. Then  I gave her a really big mean at dinner - about an hour before bed - she eats well too (sometimes I think too much) but I think part of why she wants a bottle is because she isn't full. So I kept giving her food until she said no. Then I put her to bed and let her whimper for about 15 mins before I went in with a bottle of water and she reluctantly took it and slept all night agagin - but without the bottle!

I can't say this will work for you ... but maybe give him food until he says no (unless he is known to over eat and make himself sick most babies know when they are full and will stop eating) and he's not overweight - is your doc concerned? My friends little boy was born july 30th and is already bigger than my baby! He is in 12-18month clothes and weighs prob as much as your son! So he's a big boy yours sounds normal.

My only other recommendation if you want him to stop with the formula or anything for bedtime let him CIO. Not all moms do that and if you don't want to then of course don't but I do it and it helps IMO.

Oh and I wouldn't recommend doing the half fomula half milk thing - just do milk (only a little to see for a reaction at first) all the way cut him off fomula cold turkey. I did a little mixture and it made my DD sick - vomitting for a day. And the same thing with a few friends - doens't happen to everyone but I would just switch all the way to milk. If he's hungry enough he'll take it.

Sorry this is so long. Hope it helps though. Good luck and Happy Birthday to your little guy!

times3mom
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 9:51 PM

My daughter is 19months old she was on her formula till she was 16months old.She did/dose not like milk so I started to give her Silk Soy Milk and after about a week of doing every other cup she just stop drinking the formula.You could put him on phase2 formula and that's good till he is 2years old.As for the sleeping my daughter slept through the night at 1month old and still does THANK GOD

Miranda926
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 9:57 PM

I gave my little one vanilla soy milk for a long time because she wouldn't take anything, no formula, juice, milk nothing.  That was the only thing I found that she would drink and she loved it!  Now she drinks Vit. D milk and juice, and just quit taking the bottle 2 weeks ago.  As to the over weight thing Lily weighs 27.5 lbs and she turned one the day after Christmas.

JessicaRena
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 10:01 PM

January 25th the birthday? If so thats my son's bday too he will be two. Okay anyway on subject. I just gave my son milk and stopped all formula all together. It was deal with it or nothing at all. He should be eating more solid foods now so he wont go hungry.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)