Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I need help...

Posted by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 8:51 PM
  • 5 Replies

I have been feeding my 2 week old 3.5 ounces, and she has been searching for more after she was done, but I never gave her more because she would spit up. She would scream to eat every 2 hours or so. Today I started giving her 4 ounces. She has been fine with just that all day until now. When she was done with her 4 ounces my little piglet was screaming and searching for more formula. So I gave her another ounce. She is only 2 weeks old. Is that too much for a baby so young? How much did your babies eat when they were that young? Keep in mind she is a very healthy 10 pounds 7.5 ounces. And was the same when she was born. I really have a chunker!! I'm OBVIOUSLY a first time Mom. I just feel like I'm over feeding her, but at the same time like I'm not feeding her enough because she cries for more food. So help me out Mama's!! Thanks!

by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 8:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
luvmycherubs
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 8:53 PM

Sweety unless the doctor tells you not to you need to feed her on demand. She needs it now more than ever.

Gizzy22
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 8:54 PM
My daughter was like that.. Right after i gave birth to her they gave me a 4 ounce bottle and she drank it all. I had to actually switch her formula to enfamil AR(added rice starch) because the other stuff wasnt thick enough and she was wanting to eat to much..

Photobucket
Miranda926
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 8:57 PM

My little chunker came out eating 4 oz bottles!  She shocked everyone including the nurses.  I think by about 4 weeks she was eating 6 oz bottles and some baby cereal before bed.  I know a lot of mommies worry about feeding too much, and when to give baby the cereal but my little one just wasn't satisfied, ever.  She also only ate 4 times a day, and started sleeping all night about 3 days into the cereal.  I talked with my pediatrition about it because I didn't want to hurt her, and she said if she is hungry feed her ( in moderation of course ).  Now she is a happy, healthy one year old. Good luck to you

1HappiMommi
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 9:00 PM

Let me start by saying I'm not wonderfully experienced in all of this, I also Breastfeed my baby, so I don't know how much she got/gets per feeding, but here are my thoughts:  are you feeding her often enough?  Have you discussed this with your pediatrician?  Are you sure she doesn't just need a pacifier - babies LOVE to suck, she may not still be hungry, if you are feeding her often enough and have decided that she should have plenty in her belly, offer her one, if she seems satisfied, you've solved your problem, if she is still rooting, maybe she has a large tummy.  I would call the pediatrician first thing and discuss your baby's eating needs.  My daughter was/is picky about when she will and won't take a paci, if she is hungry, she figures out pretty quick that the paci is NOT what she wanted, if she just wanted to suck, she is content.

I also fully believe in a mother's instinct. 

dreamer_8291
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 9:10 PM

How much formula your baby needs depends on a number of factors, such as his weight, his age, and whether you're feeding him only formula or using it in combination with breast milk or solids. Still, there are some basic guidelines for figuring out how much formula to give:

Take your baby's cues

The most important thing to take into account when deciding how much to feed is your baby's behavior. Babies eat when they're hungry and stop when they're full. Appetites vary among babies, and each baby's nutritional needs change from day to day and month to month.

Your baby may be hungrier than usual during growth spurts — which typically occur ten to 14 days after birth and at 3 weeks, 6 weeks, 3 months, and 6 months — and he may want less food if he's not feeling well. That's why it's so important to learn to read your baby's hunger cues.

A key sign that your baby is hungry, of course, will be his cry. But resist the urge to respond to his every whimper with a bottle. Consider the possibility — especially if you've recently fed him — that he may be crying because his diaper is wet. Or maybe he's cold or hot, he needs to be burped, or he simply wants to be close to you.

If your baby is hungry, he might show signs like smacking his lips or sucking, rooting (turning his head toward your hand when you stroke his cheek), and putting his hands to his mouth. You'll know that your baby wants more than you're giving him when he finishes the feeding quickly and looks around for more.

If your baby seems hungry after his first bottle, try preparing just an ounce or two more at a time. If you make a larger amount, he may not finish it and you'll have to throw it out.

Multiply your baby's weight times 2.5 ounces

If your baby isn't eating any solids (if he's younger than 4 to 6 months, he shouldn't be), the rule of thumb is to offer him 2.5 ounces of formula per pound of body weight each day.

So if your baby weighs 6 pounds, you'll give him about 15 ounces of formula in a 24-hour period. If he weighs 10 pounds, he should drink about 25 ounces in a 24-hour period.

www.babycenter.com

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)