Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

STARTING RICE CEREAL?

Posted by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 9:46 PM
  • 14 Replies

My little girl is 2 months old and her dr. said i can start giving her rice cereal.  Most people i see on here say it's bad to start any solids before 6 months.  Is it really that bad?

by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 9:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Miranda926
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 9:50 PM

You are right alot of mommies are totally against solids before a set age.  I am not one of those, I started both of my girls with runny rice cereal given to them on a baby spoon at a month.  I got alot of slack for that , but they were hungry and couldn't be satisfied.  Do what you think is right, don't worry about what everyone tells you.

Molly1205
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 9:53 PM

did you mix it w/ water, breastmilk, or formula?

Quoting Miranda926:

You are right alot of mommies are totally against solids before a set age.  I am not one of those, I started both of my girls with runny rice cereal given to them on a baby spoon at a month.  I got alot of slack for that , but they were hungry and couldn't be satisfied.  Do what you think is right, don't worry about what everyone tells you.

dreamer_8291
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 9:55 PM

It's not "bad".You really aren't supposed to start cereal until at least 4 months. But if your pediatrician told you to start cereal, it's for a reason. You're obviously questioning him/her, so I would maybe call the doc and tell them what you are unsure about. Ask why you should start cereal now at 2 months. Hope this helps! Good luck!

pattimarie
by Bronze Member on Jan. 21, 2009 at 9:55 PM

Jani had it around a month and half,  from the spoon,  I always felt putting it in a bottle was lazy.  She took to it right away.  Make it pretty running,  and kinds let it slide in the mouth first.  I think within the week she was closing her mouth on the spoon,  she has been a big eater ever since!  Good luck,  it won't harm her,  but a million Moms on here will tell you different!  Every other person is a doctor ya know ;)!

Patti Marie
clairborne
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 9:59 PM

i mix my cereal w breastmilk. it gives it more flavor. that stuffs pretty bland. i gave some to my ds at about 3 months like once a week - just to get him in the habit. my pedi wanted me to start early too - if their weight has doubled - go for it. do whats best for you - moms know best. goodluck, if youre still unsure talk to the nurse - or just wait it out... your lo wont know if you dont feed her cereal - ya know? start it when you are ready.

barbroach59
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 10:02 PM

okay  i can bet  half you on here  when you where  babies your mom  gave you  cereal  when you where  a  couple of  weeks  old , and nothing is  wrong with any of you , its okay to give your baby cereal   it  will help your baby sleep  better  at night  anyway ,

Miranda926
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 10:04 PM

I mixed it with formula

3boyz1princess
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 10:05 PM

I had big babies over 9lb and breast milk was not enough to satisfy them so all 4 started rice cereal around 2 weeks old in a bottle I did 1T spoon for every ounce of breast milk with the bottle before bed and they slept through the night from about 2 weeks old.  Now when I say slept through night I mean from around 11pm till 5am so to me that's sleeping through the night since they were breastfed.  I see no problem starting rice cereal...just start slow or it will constipate your little one.

in loveboy n girltwin boys

HUBBY & ME       CHANDLER,MADSION,CARSON & COLTON

nickiturner04
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 10:06 PM

hmm. a lot of doctors think differently... my doctor told me not to start my child on cereal until he was 7-8 months old. and he drank it with his formula until he was around 11 months old... granted, it helped him gain weight, but it also constipated him a lot.

my sister-in-laws ped told her she could around 2 months and now @ 5 months, she won't take a bottle without it now. if you try and give her one, then she will scream for a while. she also weighs 21 pounds (note: my child is 18 months and weighs 21 pounds when she's only 5 months)... and she doesn't have a bm on a regular schedule.

so if you tried it, i wouldn't do it a lot... maybe a bottle a day (usually the one before bedtime... it keeps them fuller for a while longer) and then just up it as the child gets older.

*Tyler's Mom*

ktnmase
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 10:07 PM

My 3 month old has cereal every second day at his night time feed. .. Mixed with his milk... (I make his bottle up as usual and use someout of that to make the cereal he eats it off a spoon  then he drinks the rest of the bottle..  oh and it hasn't changed his sleeping habits.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)