Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Any ideas???

Posted by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 10:05 PM
  • 8 Replies

My daughter is 2 months old and has an eye that has been getting crusted over with goop a lot lately. She had a clogged tear duct when she was born (the ped. mentioned it) but now this crustiness is getting worse and we are constantly having to clear it off so her eye doesn't shut and she can see. I'm wondering if there is anything else I can do or if I should mention it to her pediatrician again. Any ideas?

graphics for moms

Breastfeeding. Church-going Christian. Childhood Abuse Survivor.Pro-Life. Anti- Death Penalty. Anti- CIO. NEWLY Anti- Vaccinating(ask me). Disposable Diapering. LOVING mama of two, Madison Liliana Faye (06/20/07) and Isabelle Serenity Rose (11/12/08)

by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 10:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
gramabear
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 10:07 PM

yes you should talk to doc about it before it gets worse eyesite is nothing to play around with

Motherof3under4
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 10:07 PM

I would call her ped.

Also pink eye does that to.

madisonmommy19
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 10:08 PM

My oldest DD and I had pink eye when she was about 6 months old but it doesn't look like that right now.

Quoting Motherof3under4:

I would call her ped.

Also pink eye does that to.

graphics for moms

Breastfeeding. Church-going Christian. Childhood Abuse Survivor.Pro-Life. Anti- Death Penalty. Anti- CIO. NEWLY Anti- Vaccinating(ask me). Disposable Diapering. LOVING mama of two, Madison Liliana Faye (06/20/07) and Isabelle Serenity Rose (11/12/08)

Christina193
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 10:08 PM

I would definitely contact your ped. It could be from a cold but you want to make sure she doesn't have an infection of some kind. I would keep cotton balls handy and dip them in luke warm water an wipe her eye.

Christina
Proud mommy of 3 wonderful kids!
Photobucket

pd4now82
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 10:09 PM

Is it just the one eye or both?   I've lived at places where I had seasonal eye allergies  - which right now with when it flared up for me would be kinda weird - for me it was Nov. and March/April....but my eyes would be like that and I had to get drops.

I don't really know what to tell ya, but I'd def. talk to the doc. about it and see what they say/recommend.

Also, what poster above me said - lukewarm water on a rag or cotton balls to help clean the gunk out should help in the meantime.

JessicaRena
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 10:12 PM

My son had the same problem. It was so bad I had to carry a wrag just for his eye so I could clean it out. My advice is the call your doctor and see about an eye drom. If its green its infected. My sons never cleared up on its own. They had to do surgery to open it a six months old. He also had to see a special eye doctor. I would talk to your doctor asap.

cristie1276
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 10:22 PM

I have a 3 month old daughter.  Her eye did that too, but it's starting to clear up.  Doc said it was because her tear ducts were not fully opened and allergies made it goopy.  It still gunks up when she has allergies.  Talk to your Doctor about it, but until then, you might try a couple of things:

1.  Take a warm (not hot) damp,  soft cloth and gently massage just under the eye for about 30 second or so several times a day

2.  Periodically massage that same area with your finger for a minute or so...maybe a couple of times a day.

The nurse told me that is supposed to encourage the ducts to open.  Youw will likely see more goopy stuff at first, then a clear up (if that's the problem)

When you wake up, hit the ground running and don't look back.

nickiturner04
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 10:24 PM

yes! mention it asap!... my child had a blocked tear duct and it almost caused him surgery but luckily they gave us some kind of meds and it cleared it right up!

*Tyler's Mom*

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)