Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Baby orajel...

Posted by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 10:31 PM
  • 42 Replies

Have you tried baby orajel for your LOs?  My 21 month old is really having trouble with his canines and I went to the pharmacy and asked her what she thought.  She said I could try baby orajel but make sure it only goes on the gums and he doesn't swallow any cause it could numb his throat.  So have any of you done it for your LOs?

pregnancy week by week
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 10:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ILoveMyJason
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 10:32 PM

I use it when my son seems really uncomfortable, like tonight. I believe he's getting his one-year molars in. But it's perfectly safe to use. And I find that when I do use it, it does help a lot. He spends more time trying to figure out why his gums are numb than he does thinking about the pain.

Photobucket
pearl19
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 10:33 PM

I didn't like it.  It only worked for a few minutes anyway, and my daughter started spitting up more when we used it.  I don't know for sure if it was connected, but I stopped giving it to her anyway.

We stuck to baby tylenol and lots of cold teethers.

littlemissyjen
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 10:35 PM

My son always preferred the pink teething pills from Wal-Mart instead.

Photobucket
Babydoll0427
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 10:36 PM
I used it from time to time and it gave some relief, though it didn't last long. I bought these little single use applicators that looked like Q-tips and were for babies. There were never any side effects for us. I also found these calming drops that are all natural and contain no medicine that really helped Justin. They had like Winnie the Pooh characters on the bottle and had a dropper like tylenol. Another thing Justin really likes is if I put a wash cloth (wet) in the freezer and then let him chew on it. People think I am crazy with washclothes in baggies in my freezer, but we are getting canines too and it seems to be one of a few things that really help.
mommy2bunny
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 10:37 PM

I used it when my DD's  molars were coming in.  It works on contact, but doesn't last very long.  However, if you want him to sleep a little longer at night, give him Motrin.  It's kicks in faster and lasts longer than Tylenol.  So, I used the night time baby orajel (b/c it's stronger than regualr baby orajel) while we were waiting for the motrin to start working.

sylviapike26
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 10:38 PM

Oh I thought the molars were bad, but then he started getting his four canines and man are they giving him a lot of trouble.  I am alternating tylenol and motrin too.  I was thinking of trying it tonight when I get ready to put him to bed.  Maybe it will help him sleep.

Quoting ILoveMyJason:

I use it when my son seems really uncomfortable, like tonight. I believe he's getting his one-year molars in. But it's perfectly safe to use. And I find that when I do use it, it does help a lot. He spends more time trying to figure out why his gums are numb than he does thinking about the pain.

pregnancy week by week
sylviapike26
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 10:39 PM

That is the one I got cause she told me it was stronger.  I am gonna put it on after his bath I think before he goes to bed here in a few.

Quoting mommy2bunny:

I used it when my DD's  molars were coming in.  It works on contact, but doesn't last very long.  However, if you want him to sleep a little longer at night, give him Motrin.  It's kicks in faster and lasts longer than Tylenol.  So, I used the night time baby orajel (b/c it's stronger than regualr baby orajel) while we were waiting for the motrin to start working.

pregnancy week by week
ILoveMyJason
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 10:39 PM

You know, I've heard that before from other people, too. Great, I can't wait. LOL.

Quoting sylviapike26:

Oh I thought the molars were bad, but then he started getting his four canines and man are they giving him a lot of trouble.  I am alternating tylenol and motrin too.  I was thinking of trying it tonight when I get ready to put him to bed.  Maybe it will help him sleep.

Quoting ILoveMyJason:

Photobucket
mommy2bunny
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 10:41 PM

It will at least help him GET to sleep anyway.  Although, there's a big difference between the regualr baby orajel and the night time stuff.  I switched from the regualr to the night time during her molars.

Quoting sylviapike26:

Quoting ILoveMyJason:

mommy2bunny
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 10:43 PM

Geeze, I am having a hard time spelling the word REGULAR....at least I'm consistant with it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)