Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Rice cooker help

Posted by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 10:38 PM
  • 8 Replies

I lost the scoop for my rice cooker... so now I don' know the rice/water ratio.  Can anyone help me out? With the scoop, I know it's one scoop of rice for every cup of water... but how much rice is in a scoop?  Hehe... I feel silly.

by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 10:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
sylviapike26
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 10:41 PM

Let me go measure and I will get back to you.  What are some good recipes you use for your rice cooker?

pregnancy week by week
sylviapike26
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 10:43 PM

I have a Black and Decker one and it is just about 3/4 cup

pregnancy week by week
FlairsaMama
by on Jan. 22, 2009 at 12:52 AM

thank you.. is the ratio the same?  one scoop, one cup of water?

FlairsaMama
by on Jan. 22, 2009 at 12:59 AM

Quoting sylviapike26:

Let me go measure and I will get back to you.  What are some good recipes you use for your rice cooker?

i use it for lots.  I only cook for myself right now, so often I cook a main dish (usually some kind of chicken) and have it with rice because it is so easy.  My daughter (1 year) also like to eat it, and it keeps her busy. 

Some favorites are teriyaki chicken and stirfry vegies over rice..   I stri fry frozen vegies and small strips of chicken breat on yoshidas teriyaki sauce.  And serve in a bowl over rice.

I've tried fried rice.  It wasn't bad, but it needs tweaking.

I've also tried a curried rice... which was white rice, curry powder, a little bit or red pepper seasoning, and honey.  I used milk to thin it a little so it would mix easier.  I usually put some meat in it (leftovers). 

I never measure anything... cook to taste, so don't ask.  :)  I can't even measure my rice. LOL

My dad's favorite, his mother used to make it...
4 boneless/skinless chicken breasts, covered with a can of Campbell's cream of mushroom soup... bake it and serve over rice.  Use the soup like gravy.  It's not my favorite, but it's good and it's EASY :) I'm just not a mushroom fan..

Meercat1
by on Jan. 22, 2009 at 8:06 PM

For cooking:

White rice:  1 cup of rice and 1 cup of water (so the 1 line)

Brown Rice:  1 cup of rice and 2 cups of water (the 2 line)

beckygeiger
by on Jan. 22, 2009 at 8:09 PM

I use a 2-1 ratio. however many cups of rice you use double the water. I use 1 1/2 cups rice and 3 cups water in my rice cooker for 3 people and a leftovers ( I like rice for breakfast)

~Becky Geiger~ 

Alyssa Morgan 6-13-06

sylviapike26
by on Jan. 22, 2009 at 8:38 PM

You know I don't know.  Mine has fill lines that you fill it to.  If you use one scoop you fill it to the first line, which says 2 so maybe it is two cups of water, two scoops to the second and so on.  I am not sure if it is one cup of water or not.  I just got mine for Christmas so I am still playing with it.  Hubby loves rice, so that is why I wanted one in the first place.

Quoting FlairsaMama:

thank you.. is the ratio the same?  one scoop, one cup of water?

pregnancy week by week
karenmomtonomi
by on Jan. 23, 2009 at 11:16 AM

RATIOS are ... If you are using:

Japanese (sushi rice)       1c. rice : 1 1/2 water.

Brown rice        2c rice : 3 1/2 c water

If you do not eat it all you can save it in a sealed container in the fridge for up to a week. Sprinkle with water, cover with a damped paper towel and microwave for 3-4 minutes. Stir and check for even heating. Heat 1-2 minutes more if needed.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)