Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

should i get rid of my dd's bottle

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 12:59 AM
  • 1 Replies

Let  me give you a little history on why I'm asking this question. My dd is 20 months old and she takes a bottle in the morning and one at night. She will not drink milk from a cup only from her bottle. I tried the nuby and she'll drink a couple of sips from it. Here is why I'm asking. My middle son stopped taking the bottle at 7 months old. Well he would not drink milk from a cup, I talked to his Dr. and his Dr. told me "I dont care if he never drinks milk DO NOT give him that bottle back!!!" so I did not. Well last year at school he drank milk for the first time and he was 8 years old!!!!So he went from 7 months old to 8 YEARS old with no milk. He's also on the small side (dont know if that had anything to do with it or not). So would you just let her keep her bottle longer to get milk or just let her go without milk if she will not drink it from a cup? She is also not a good eater, neither was he. Although she looks chunky lol..

by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 12:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-1):
littlejreece
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 2:48 AM

I might catch some grief for this, but there really is no reason for human children to drink cow milk, at any age (the same is true for adults). I am NOT bashing any parent that gives their kids milk, I am just stating this from a medical and scientific point of view. If you are concerned about your daughter's calcium intake, here is a great website from the National Institutes of Health that lists several calicum-rich foods in addition to dairy foods:

http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/calcium.asp

Of course, I am sure that her pediatrician will be the best person to give you advice about how healthy it is for your little one to continue using a bottle, and/or drinking milk, as well as how much calcium she needs.  Good luck mama!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)