Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

PLEASE!!!!! NEED HELP ASAP TONIGHT!!!

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 1:02 AM
  • 12 Replies

Ok so my son is a year old, he used to have a bottle while he napped and went to bed for the night to help him sleep! Well I figured since he was a year old I would take him off of it now. Well Idk how to lean him off! So I just stopped all together, he wont take his sippy, we have some of those soft nipple ones and he wont take that either! All he wants is a bottle. People say let him cry it out he needs to learn to sooth him self to sleep but he has been screaming bloody murder for the past 2 hours!!! We go and check on him every now an then touch his diaper try the sippy again but he just gets more mad!!! We play music we try rocking him nothing works he just wants his bottle!!! I hear that if you keep giving him a bottle after his teeth come in they can really mess them up! Well he as 3 almost 4 and they are really crooked lol I know he will just lose them when he is older but still!!

Any advice on how to just lean him off???? By the way he wont take binkies either!

Lilypie 1st Birthday PicLilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Been kicked out or booted out of another group? COME JOIN US!!!

WE WON'T KICK YOU OUT!

http://www.cafemom.com/groups/drake12308
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 1:02 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jillian
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 1:10 AM

If your worried about his teeth brush them give him a bottle and slowly ween him off it. My DD is 2 and i give her a bottle at night before bed then after she falls asleep i take it out of  her room. I brush her teeth in the morning and night, if his teeth are crooked it's probably not from the bottle and when people talk about it damaging teeth it's usually refering to when people put juice in the bottle or soda(yikes) It's sounds like your all having a rough night he's only one he won't remember if you cave and give him his bottle this time, try again tomorrow but i'd try to get him used to the sippies first during the day and naps then try at night.

Makenzies_mom
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 1:11 AM

try giving him just a bottle of water so its less intresting to him and he might learn good things come out of sippys not bottles those are borring and try and make a sippy a fun thing . i must have gone though 10 sippys befor i found one my daughter would take proublem is with mine shes almost 1 yr and want take it when shes tired or over tired but shell take a bink. she has almost 16 teeth now i was like what... i was shocked but still i would try that if nothing else talk to wic if you have it or talk to his pred.

SFerber
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 1:16 AM

I have to respectfully disagree with the first reply just on the milk aspect. There is a ton of sugar in milk. If you give him a bottle...try giving him water only.  Nothing such as milk in bed. 

If he needs the ingredients in milk that relax him show him milk in a cup sitting up and then the habit of ALWAYS brushing his teeth after.

It might be better if you do not go in...unless you feel he is teething.

I am not so much into the cry it out method. Only a parent can say when enough is enough.  I would trust your instinct. BUT please do not give him milk in a bottle those sugars go deep into his gum line.

Hugs and go one step at a time. 

marchmommyoftwo
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 1:18 AM

I used this technique to teach my daughter to put herself to bed it may help you I hope...she hated binkis from 3months-14momths. Now she likes it. She would fall asleep with the bottle too untill I did this....u have to stick to whatever u do!!!!!!!!!!

My daughter was putting herself to bed by 14 months old. Its not a trick, its a LOT of time an patients. From the first week she was born up till about 12 in a half months my husband and I would have to rock her to sleep by turning on the shower and just listening to it till she fell asleep....even we thought we were crazy but you do what works for ur child....I thought.

She had just turned 1yr and I was about 6 in a half months pregnant with my son, I knew I couldn't keep rocking her to sleep because of the new baby and it hurt to hold her...she would use my belly as a chair.
    #1) I took two couch cushions off and put a blanket down to imitate a bed. I turned EVERYTHING off accept a fan and would lay down with her for naps and bed, at night we put her in her room after falling asleep on the couch. She cried and screamed for quite awhile...I almost gave in countless times but I believe in letting them cry as long as you are with them and they are not alone to feel as if they were being punished. You are trying to teach them to fall asleep not punishing them for not knowing how. ( for about 2 weeks )
     # 2) I found a small toddlers bed. Its the same length and with of a crib, but no taller than your knee (It held my husband and I too). I lay down again with her night an day till she fell asleep...and she cried and cried but she was not alone. When she fell asleep of course I got up and did what ever it was that I needed to do. Sometimes it took her 10 minutes to fall asleep an others it too an hour. Her being able to get up and down the bed somehow put her a much better mood in the mornings too.
     #3) One night after our routine bath I turned around to find her and lay down with her but she surprised me and was in her bed ALL BY HERSELF!!!!!   I acted like I didn't see what she had done and it only took her about 10 minutes to fall asleep. she was about 14 months old and my husband an I were the happiest parent in the world!!!
    We looked down at my belly....I was 7 months pregnant, we realized we would have to start ALL OVER AGAIN.  hu ...... anyone have advice for potty training???
    My son is six months now...I breastfeed him on the couch till he falls halfway asleep then lay him in the crib with his Binky and a fan on. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't I hope it works for you.

You could probably skip #1 it just worked for me...good luck.

giving mom gift  Naomi (marchmommyoftwo)

3boyz1princess
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 1:29 AM

I will be no help...All 4 of my kids had bottles till age 2 and 2 1/2 to fall asleep..They all have great teeth..As long as you brush them morning and night they will be fine..Most of that teeth stuff happens from parents who don't care for the kids teeth and let them constantly walk around with a bottle..Just don't give juice in a bottle only milk or water and try to just make it a morning/night thing cups through out the day...just my opinion...Why upset everyone and stress out they grow up way to fast..

in loveboy n girltwin boys

HUBBY & ME       CHANDLER,MADSION,CARSON & COLTON

MysticMoon919
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 2:29 AM

I really wish I had some good advice for you.  Unfourtantly I dont.  I consider myself very blessed when it comes to my kids.  My daughter started sleeping through the night at 2 months and my son at 7 weeks.  Both are self soothers.  My son cant sleep anywhere but his crib.  When we take trips is when we have a hard time because he wants to be in his crib in his room.  He is going on 2 next month and still I just lay him down at 9 and he is out.  My daughter is 6 now and thats a whole new story....  But shes been through a lot.  I finally have her bed time routine down till 10.  They sell a lot of books on how to help your child sleep.  Maybe you should look into those.  They might have great advice.

MysticMoon919
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 2:31 AM

Oh have you tried lavender cream??  Put it on before bed.  I heard that works wonders...... 

Ashmom614
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 2:37 AM

im the minority but we had a LOT of feeding/eating issues with my DD. All her peds cared about was getting her off the bottle. No one seemed to care she was barely gaining and at one point even lost weight. I was PISSED. Anyways, I found a new Ped but by that time she was 18 months old and still on a bottle because I didnt know what else to do.

Shes over two now and just recently we started putting water in her bottle instead of the next step formula and she actually did really well with it. But it didn't really bother me all that much because of the issues she had. I dont see why its such a huge deal. I mean seriously, they DO grow up too fast. I often wonder if at that young of an age they really need to be off of it. I cant imagine many 4-5 year olds who think they need a bottle. Eventually they just say I dont need this anymore.

To each their own, but after Ive been through what I have, I could care less about the bottle issue, as long as your brushing their teeth twice a day. You'll hear people say things like, "Well its going to rot them. Never let them fall asleep with it." I figured, what the hell was the difference if I gave them a bottle and took it from them right before they fell asleep??

Anyways, Im tired and rambling lol......good luck with whatever you decide. I personally dont think its necessary to take him off right now.

iluvriver3
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 2:39 AM

i talked to her doctor about this actually the other day, because we are slowly taking her off the bottle, he told us that we should put juice in it first, than gradually put water in it, she will eventually learn that the bottle isn't very good. As well you should only use bottles as a morining thing and a night thing at this stage. Its not the nipple itself that destroys the teeth its the sugar in the milk that does it espeically by laying down and drinking it. If you give your child a binkie that could help ( i also just learned that the whole binkie teeth is a myth) I personally don't agree with CIO i did it for a couple of days and it broke my heart ( with my luck thats all River needed) maybe you should get in bed with him, or read him a story stroke his back help him fall asleep. Good Luck i am slowly going through the process of the bottle as well =)

~mother to River Birthmother to  Avery~lover,sister,travler,artist,reader,writer,daydreamer

with3love
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 2:42 AM

I would slowly wean him off of the bottle, not all at once. I would let him have a bottle of water with a orthodontic nipple (which is fine for his teeth), and let him continue his night time routine.

Cut the bottle out during the day, except for nap times. As he gets a bit older, try taking it away from his naps but keeping it at night, then once he's a bit older, cut the nipple & hopefully he will stop.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)