• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Baby health question...

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 2:11 AM
  • 12 Replies

My 6 month will occasionally bat at her right ear. It's always that ear, and she's been doing it since Christmas, but it's never accompanied by crying or fussing. And it's not red or oozing anything, so I don't think it's an infection. ...any other ideas?

by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 2:11 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mom22gr8boys
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 2:13 AM

how often is occasionally?/

ANewPerspective
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 2:13 AM

with baby's sometimes you can't tell that there's an infection because it could be an inner ear. The only way to know for sure is to take her to the doctor. My DD's ped told me that anytime DD seems fixated on grabbing her ears for more than a day to get it checked... because she can't talk and tell me if it hurts.

CashJulianMommy
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 2:14 AM

Does it bother her in any other way? Does it seem to hurt her at all?

Ilovemybbgrl
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 2:14 AM

my daughter does this when she has an ear infection and also when she is teething.

PsychoChef_04
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 2:16 AM

it could still be an infection but it could also be she's teething. My little girl did that all the time. Check that side of her mouth for signs of teething.

Makenzies_mom
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 2:17 AM

my daughter does that but only one time did it mean it was an ear infection. i had no idea she did not cry or fuss took her to the dr of normal check up and found it. but now mainly when shes tired she does it.

iluvriver3
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 2:18 AM

i was worried about that with River, i actually brought her in and they checked her ears and she was fine, i think it is her thing some kids do little different things, and she likes to bat at her ears. But you never know it could be an inner ear infection or she could be teething!

~mother to River Birthmother to  Avery~lover,sister,travler,artist,reader,writer,daydreamer

mandamitch
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 2:22 AM

My son pulls on his ears all the time just from boredom, tiredness, etc.  His pedi said it is very common for kids to play with their ears.

4LifeTupperware
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 2:31 AM

I child doesn't have to have red and draining ear to have an infection.   It could be teething.  Or it could just be fluid in the ear that may or may not turn into an infection.

If it's red and draining then the ear drum has ruptured, not a good thing it can scar and cause hearing loss

My ped has always told me better safe then sorry with an ear... if you don't know.. take them in.

My 11 month old has 75% hearing loss in one ear and 25% in his other.. some of it just from fluid that was always in the ears, sometimes it was an infection other times not.  he got tubes about 2 weeks ago, and will have another hearing test in a week or so.   Ears are not something to fool around with.   It also has a lot to do with them walking, my son started walking 2 days after he got his tubes in.. I know that it's from not having the fluid in his ears making his balance off..

My 3 year old has some hearing loss too and that's all from ear infections

Teething will make there ears hurt too... a good way to tell if it's ears or teeth is to push on the back of there ears right where the lobe meets there head... if they move like it hurts then it's an infection, if they don't move or act like it hurts then it could just be fluid build up that's bugging them or teeth...

At any rate seeing that it's gone on this long I would take her in

Melanie, Wife for 14 years and a Mom, to 13 year old daughter, 10 year old son, 3 year old son, 11 month old son and two angel babies that would also be 11 months old, and Tupperware Consultant!   "Only one life, will soon be passed, only what's done for Christ will last." 

jlsmith1862
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 2:59 AM

DS pulls on his ears or just rubs them when he is tired or bored. I think with him it is just a comfort thing kinda like when some kids suck their thumb. However, it doesn't always mean that. He has had several ear infections and most times I can tell because he will start to get picky about what he eats which implies a sore throat that can often accompany an ear infection.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)