• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Opinions on Front Facing Car Seats

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 8:09 AM
  • 24 Replies

My daughter will be one in May and I want to get a front facing car seat that is safe and versitile and very easy and accessible. Any opions on brand/type? I have been doing a lot of research but I think it will be better to get some real opions.

Thanks!!   confused

by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 8:09 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Kellileanne
by Bronze Member on Jan. 25, 2009 at 8:11 AM

Britax is one of the most suggested brands I have seen.  We aren't forward facing yet but we have a Cosco convertable seat so when I'm ready she can be turned.

1471640_1230664228_med-1.gif picture by jdavis2

Dimples04
by Silver Member on Jan. 25, 2009 at 8:15 AM

One year and 20lbs is only a minimum to keep a child safe.  It is HIGHLY recomended that you keep your child rear facing until he/she is at the limit usually around 33-35lbs of a rear facing convertible seat.  Please consider this before making your decision.  IF you still want to FF your child the Graco Nautilus will harness to 65lbs and booster to 100lbs and runs about 130-150.00 at walmart or other stores such as target. 

There is also a carseat group in Cafe mom that have car seat techs in it and would be happy to provide you with info. 

http://www.cafemom.com/group/5739   This is the link to that group.

mommyofblueyes
by Bronze Member on Jan. 25, 2009 at 8:15 AM

My opinion is to do extended raer facing, LOL, but  If you HAVE to turn her forward though, then I can try and give you some car seat opinions.  What is your price limit, how tall is your daughter, and how much does she weigh. 

LittleBoPeep252
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 8:19 AM

Alpha Elite Omega..love it!

chamelon33
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 8:19 AM

Quoting mommyofblueyes:

My opinion is to do extended raer facing, LOL, but  If you HAVE to turn her forward though, then I can try and give you some car seat opinions.  What is your price limit, how tall is your daughter, and how much does she weigh. 

I'm not turning her around yet, I just wanted some opinions because I will be shopping in May.

I would say no more than $200 and she is average height for her age. She is only 18 lbs right now.

sophiasmommy02
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 8:25 AM

Graco Nautilus I have this one for my daughter and I love it and she seems to really like it.  I know that there is alwaysa huge debate but I like forward facing car seats than i can actually see her and she can look out the window. I got mine at walmart it was a steal it was suppsed to be 150.00 but the put the wrong sign up and we got it for 50.00. The other hundred went towards her high chair!! I love saving money

addisonsmom3794
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 8:27 AM

WE LOVE OUR BRITAX!!!

Pregnancy ticker

mommyofblueyes
by Bronze Member on Jan. 25, 2009 at 8:29 AM

Oh, I know you are not turning her around yet, LOL.  By extended rear facing, I mean keeping her rear facing past one.  You can get a convertible car seat that rear faces to 33-35 lbs.  Then forward faces to 65 lbs.  Britax, and the First years true fit both harness forward facing to 65 lbs.  I hear that compared to britax, the first years true fit is a great car seat and has a high shell, so if your child is tall, it will harness them longer.  So I guess, if you are not going to do ERF, then I would either recommend the true fit,  the Nautilus (sp)...they both harness to 65 lbs.

Quoting mommyofblueyes:

I'm not turning her around yet, I just wanted some opinions because I will be shopping in May.

I would say no more than $200 and she is average height for her age. She is only 18 lbs right now.

c_boerman
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 8:31 AM

Quoting chamelon33:

Quoting mommyofblueyes:

Please consider leaving her Rear Facing even after 1 years of age and 20 lbs.  It is so much safer to do ERF.  She has been riding rear face for almost a year so why turn her, she is use to riding that way now.  I have a Britax Boulevard and love it.  It rear faces up until 35 lbs and I can use it forward facing till 65 lbs.

Please research on extended rear facing.  I had no idea about it until I came on cafemom and asked for suggestions just like you about a new car seat and that is when I found out why erf is so important!

Here are some videos to help you with your decision:

I am not here to push this decision just educating for those that do not know about extended rear facing.

hurleydoll18
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 9:27 AM

Like others have mentioned, babies do not have to be turned forward facing once they reach a yr and 20lbs.  That is just the bare minimum when they can be switched.  It is much safer to continue to rear face beyond that bare minimum though.  My 17 month old, 33 inch and 28lb son is still rear facing and will continue to do so until he hits the upper limits of his convertible seat (35lbs) because that is the safest way for children to ride.  At a yr old, they simply arent' ready to forward face and the risk of internal decapitation drastically increases when they get switched to forward facing.  Here are the seats I always recommend because they offer extended rear facing and extending harnessing

Evenflo Triumph Advance-$129
rear face to 35lbs and forward face to 50lbs
Great seat that fits most children to 5-6 yrs old.  You won't need to rethread the harness with this seat

Compass True fit-$179
rear face to 35lbs and forward face to 65lbs
This is my favorite convertible seat and one that my son rides in.  It will fit most children to at least 6 yrs old.  No rethreading the harness.  Has a life of 7 yrs from DOM instead of 6 yrs like most other car seats. 

Sunshine Kids Radian-$199
These are great seats but have a 70% incompatibility rate with vehicles so it is best to try it out in your vehicle first before purchasing.  It will fit most children to 6-7 yrs old.  It has a life of 8 yrs from DOM instead of 6 yrs like most other car seats.  It is heavy because it is made from steel.  It folds for easy traveling

Britax Marathon/Decathlon/Boulevard-$189-$299
These seats are wonderful and fit most children from 5-6 yrs old.  The Marathon is the msot basic and cheapest of the three models.  The Decathlon offers a 3 position crotch buckle and the Boulevard offers TSIP wings and an infinite headrest and harness adjuster.  Britax is one of the leading manufacturers in car seats and is well respected all over the world.  They go above and beyond in crash testing.  They are also constantly putting their seats through crash tests to look for any imperfections.  Because of this, they find and issue recalls BEFORE a child is harmed from their seats, whereas other manufacturers issue a recall only after multiple children have been harmed. 

3 in 1 car seats are a huge waste of money because the only harness to 40lbs and most children outgrow the harness in height around 3 yrs old.  By that time they are far from being ready for the booster.  The Graco comfortsport has the shortest shell on the market so it is outgrown around 2-3 yrs old.  Huge waste as well. 

I strongly recommend that you research the benefits of extended rear facing.  It has been proven to be 75% safer than forward facing.

If you insist on forward facing your young baby, I would not go with a forward facing only car seat because they offer less side impact protection.  While I love the Graco Nautilus, it is a forward facing only seat so it offers much less side impact protection.  This seat is only appropriate for children who are no longer about to rear face.  I would never put a child under 2 yrs old in the Nautilus

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)