• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Anyone ever rent our a room in their house? PIOG

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 9:51 AM
  • 15 Replies

Dh and I really need to bring in some extra cash and we were considering renting out a room in our house. The way our house is set up is that the master bedroom and bathroom are on the first floor along with the livingroom and kitchen. Upstairs there is my DD's playroom, another full bathroom, DD's bedroom and an empty bedroom. DH and I were thinking we could move our bedroom upstairs to the empty room and try to rent out the master bedroom and bath. We absolutely will not just rent out the bedroom upstairs because I don't want someone of nonrelation slleping that close to my DD or using her bathroom. Well my questions are #1 is it wrong to rent a room to a stranger when we have a 2 year old DD? #2 how much rent is appropraite to ask for? #3 should we provide a bedroom furniture and a TV  in the rented room? I know of course that we should ask for some references and really check out possibe renters and that we need to get a legit contract, is there anything else we should know? Also is this just a crappy idea all together (I'm not completely sold on the idea yet) and should we scrap it?

by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 9:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KaseyHickman
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 9:58 AM

Ive never rented out a room but Ive had roommates and seen enough Judge Judy to know its not a good Idea at all. But that just my opinion. I hope I do not make you mad by saying this.

SexyTeacher1971
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 10:03 AM

Like the first poster I have seen enough Judge Judy and Judge Joe Brown to say it's not a good idea. However, if you decide to do it make sure EVERYTHING is put in writing! You need to write up a rental agreement and have a lawyer look it over. Make any necessary changes to make it airtight. Take applications and call the references and refuse anything but checks or money orders for payment. And ALWAYS write a receipt. Good luck.

SCmommy106
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 10:03 AM

No not mad at all. This is a very serious deciasion to have someone living in our home and I want to hear the good the bad the ungly and any other opinions. I'm not 100% sure about it yet either.

Quoting KaseyHickman:

Ive never rented out a room but Ive had roommates and seen enough Judge Judy to know its not a good Idea at all. But that just my opinion. I hope I do not make you mad by saying this.

SexyTeacher1971
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 10:07 AM

SCmommy, where in SC do you live? I am moving to the Greenville/Sapartanburg/Rock Hill area. We are looking in those areas. Can you give any good ideas on a nice place in a good neighborhood?

KaseyHickman
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 10:10 AM

like the other reply said mke sure everything is in writing. Anything and everything other wise if something happens it wont hold up in court. Take lots of pictures of your house and how everything is. Just keep yourself protected as much as possible. Make sure you really trust the person. Good Luck hun

Shaynas_Mommy

I don't think it's a good idea either. We have rented our whole house out before, but never a room in the same house that we were living in.

proudyankeemom

never rented out a room b4 - but known people who have.....but they always rented to someone that they KNEW or someone that another friend/relative knew....

jlynrhodes
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 10:13 AM

We live in Greenville/Simpsonville area  it is nice here Alot of friendly people Simpsonville area is growing fast  Alot of new schools!

Quoting SexyTeacher1971:

SCmommy, where in SC do you live? I am moving to the Greenville/Sapartanburg/Rock Hill area. We are looking in those areas. Can you give any good ideas on a nice place in a good neighborhood?

beckygeiger
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 10:17 AM

My mom rented out a room ( the converted garage) to a single lady that taught at her school. She charged her a flat rate to cover rent and utilities. She had 2 shelves in the fridge and a part of the cupboard for her food. She used her own furniture in her room and had a few things in the living room. I think she lived with my mom for 7 years until my mom made enough money to be able to live without a roommate. My mom would not take male renters because my sister (16) was still living at home. I think if you find a woman who might already be an acquaintance it should not be a problem. I would suggest an older person who would be more responsible and less likely to be having guests.

~Becky Geiger~ 

Alyssa Morgan 6-13-06

KristiTurgeon
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 10:20 AM

I would say don't do it. I have never rented out a room to a complete stranger, but I did however rent a room to my SO's best friend for a while, and when SO went away he starting not giving me money and starting a lot of problems for me. I don't think it is a good idea, unless you know/trust the person. If you are going to do it, like everyone else said make sure EVERYTHING is in writing, you have before pictures, you check references, and a few of them. Just be careful and make sure everything is thorough.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)