Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How old were your kids when they spent the night at a friends house?

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 10:12 AM
  • 8 Replies

What age is good for children to spend the night at a friends house?  I know there are other factors, like how well you know the parents. But a friend and I were having this discussion.  I really don't know if I will let my kids stay the night at a friends house. My thought is...I might know the parents but what about their parents friends. I don't know who could be at their house. Maybe I am really paranoid, but it scares me.  Her point is that when they are older they can always call you and tell you to pick them up...which is true.  The only place my kids have stayed overnight is at their grandparents, and Aunt and Uncle's house with their cousins. But they are only 6 and 8.

My kids are still to young to stay at a friends, but I was curious as to other moms opinions.

Thanks,

Dana

by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 10:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
FabulousSister
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 10:19 AM

Quoting DanaMarie216:

What age is good for children to spend the night at a friends house?  I know there are other factors, like how well you know the parents. But a friend and I were having this discussion.  I really don't know if I will let my kids stay the night at a friends house. My thought is...I might know the parents but what about their parents friends. I don't know who could be at their house. Maybe I am really paranoid, but it scares me.  Her point is that when they are older they can always call you and tell you to pick them up...which is true.  The only place my kids have stayed overnight is at their grandparents, and Aunt and Uncle's house with their cousins. But they are only 6 and 8.

My kids are still to young to stay at a friends, but I was curious as to other moms opinions.

Thanks,

D

The best practice is to truly know living situation.  When my daughter was about 6 almost 22 years ago.  I let her stay with aher friend.  I knew the parent.  But she got a case of ring worms.

Are the parents home really clean, really.  What's the parents lifestyle.  Today you really got to be careful at school and at the friends house.

anziomom
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 10:20 AM

My dd was seven the first time, I barely knew the parents and was nervous as hell. Turns out for good reason. Now she cannot unless I really KNOW the parents, or she is old enough to leave and call me. So she barely goes ever, poor girl.

jenn981478
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 12:58 PM

My daughter was 4 but the parents and I really know each other.  We have been friends for a long time so I was comfortable with my daughter going over.  I did call a few times that night.  I knew they would take good care of her and she would let me know if she wanted to come home. 

staci1103
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 1:00 PM

both of my older kids were about 5 or 6

tiffanysgirls
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 1:03 PM
My daughter has spent the night at my best friend's house with her daughter since she was about 4 or 5. But, if it was a friend from school whose parent's I only somewhat knew....I wouldn't have allowed it. She is 6 1/2 now...maybe next year.
BFMomma08
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 1:07 PM

My DD was 5 yo/ 1st grade.  I felt very comfortable with the friend's family and the kids staying and their families.  Kinda good to be in a small school, you get to know families more on a personal basis as there were only 5 girls in the class total.

I'm a SAHM, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, baby wearing, disposable diaper, vaccinating, fun loving Momma to 3 wonderful children and wife to a wonderful husband of almost 9 years

bkek1997
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 1:14 PM

I allowed my son to spend the night out once when he was 5. He came home with a big bruise on his head- alot of older boy siblings there and appearently a lack of supervision. I will not even let him go over ther for playdates now. He does go to other houses for playdtaes but not to spend the night- I know these moms better.

We are now the house where everone spends the night at. I like it better that way. I know he is safe here and so are his firends. :)

I dont regret that my child was 5 his first time I just regret the choice of friend/house it was at.

NichollHead
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 1:34 PM

My kids are not going to be allowed to go to sleepovers, if they want to have a sleepover it'll have to be in our home. You are not paranoid you are being responsible and careful.  I let my children stay with grandparents and siblings/cousins and that is it, I don't believe that even personal friends should be trusted to this extent because you never truly know. I have come across far to many creepy dads growing up to even consider it, Ive heard to many stories about the neighborhood dad, or the parents friends being the one molesting children and I cant take that chance with my own children. Your older children can call you if there uncomfortable but that doesn't mean they will, its embarrassing and confusing and in so many cases the child is to scared to tell, especially if their younger. I had a great relationship with my parents and I never told when a friends dad made me uncomfortable, I never told if a parent let us drink when I was older. The parents could have friends that stop by unannounced, they could older siblings, neighbors etc... It's so common now and just not worth the risk!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)