• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Cursing around kids?

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 10:26 AM
  • 16 Replies

Does this bother anyone else?  We were at a family function last night and our 4yr old dd was there with us and a relatives boyfriend kept spouting off things that Dh and I both did not want our child to hear.  She was in other rooms and playing but still, I dont' think he would have cared.  He is a grown man with kids of his own so it isn't like he is a teen.  Anyways I was a little shocked that Dh didn't say anything cause if it is my family (I know we are all family if married into it) but family on my side I speak up and simply say "Please don't teach my dd new words"  they usually respect that and continue there conversation without the cursing.  He didnt' say anything.   We know she will hear things and it is inevitable, but she doesn't need to at the family's house.  Does it bother you if someone curses around your child?  Do you curse around your child? 

by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 10:26 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
nuwave06
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 11:02 AM

Quoting Dimples04:

Does it bother you if someone curses around your child?  Do you curse around your child? 

YES!  NO!

ProudYoungMom22
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 11:08 AM

If DH doesn't say anything, next time I would say something funny, but in a way they know you are serious. For my fiances family I tell them, you know my Ethan is gonna sound like a truck driver if he keeps hanging out here... or something lol. Or I just say he is at an impressionable stage and shouldn't be hearing that language. Either way i think it gets the point across

ChazznRoccosmom
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 1:05 PM

It's not that I'm worried about them learning new words, they'll learn them anyways. I worry about the example it sets.You can't expect them to think it's wrong when they see adults do it. And in my family, it's the grandparents that are the worst about it. To me it'd be like toking on a joint looking at a kid and saying "Don''t do drug". Yeah, ticks me off when people cuss around my kids. And unfortunately my hubby does it alot too.

Chazz     Rocco    Joey

baby boybaby boybaby boy

06-24-02   09-05-05   09-15-08

worwalkerlds
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 1:07 PM
I wouldnt want someone around my LO cussing or just having an inappropriate conversaion, but in this situation, your child was in another room... So whats the problem... Your DH probably didnt say anything because what could he say? Cant have cussing within like a 100ft. radius of our child?
Luvmybooskies
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 1:12 PM

I would be so mad! I have a horrible mouth on me, but I DO NOT cuss around kids. I try so hard to watch my mouth around my daughter, I admit I have a slip up every now and then, but I am really trying to work on it because my daughter doesn't deserve to be around that and neither does any other child. It's just so trashy!

mybabygirl32406
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 1:19 PM

yup we do not go to my side of family cause big family and someone is always drunk and cursing, will not go to visit, my daughter repeats everything she hears, so just not doing it. they have no respect and i know my daughter will hear things but at her age i just cant explain to her why not to say the words she hears. i just think parents that curse in front of there kids it is there choice but do not do it with someone else's child. just wrong to me!

My Heart, My Soul, My Life!  
tiffanysgirls
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 1:20 PM
No one on either side of our families curse often so we are lucky! But, I have been to a friend's house and had to endure someone with a sailor's mouth. I just said "Wow, there's kids here!" and they got the picture and were pretty appologetic. There have been times I dropped the F-bomb or whatever around my kids because it happens and your emotions get the best of you (hey, I'm human) but after things settled down I took the opportunity to discuss naughty words with my kids. Now if I slip up and curse my kids tell on me to Dad. Traitors.
jeckellette
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 1:24 PM

no, i do not mind if someone swears in front of my child...and i will do it too. i have taught my daughter that it is inappropriate to say those words and she fully understands and watches her mouth and knows what not to say...however, i DO watch what i say in front of other people's children. as they are not my kids and their parents may see things different than i do. i will admit that i do slip up occasionally and will apologize for it...but they are just words and our kids will learn them eventually anyway. so why not tell them about it now, so there are no questions later when they do hear those words and are asking why they shouldnt say them or what they mean...

dilateyourmind
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 10:06 PM

It bothers me when peopel are so blatant in front of kids. I know that its goign to happen ocasionally. Hell, cath me at the wrong moment and I will let one fly on accident. I taught my daughter early on that there are kid words and there are grown up words. I told her after she graduates college she is free to say all the grown up words she chooses. lol  She is 5 and has yet to say cuss words. She tells on other children when they do.:)

Not trying to hate, just educate. Just because its my opinion, doesn't mean I think I know whats best for you. Its just another perspective.

GIRmom
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 10:09 PM

I have to admit I tend to have a potty mouth but Gabe isn't speaking yet so I don't really notice when I do. Though I do notice when other do and I tell them to stop,.. a lil hypocritical huh??? But it's a a really bad habit of mine and i really am working on it lol.

19yo nursing student single moms do it best,.. who needs a man when you can mutli task?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)