Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

the school councilor calls

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 12:14 PM
  • 10 Replies

and says your child went in today to talk...and said they were very depressed,was hurting them selves,and on rare occasion contimplated suicide then told you they are required to tell you as a parent whats going on...how would you react to your child when they got home from school...oh they are high school age

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

babybaby development
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 12:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AllforColin
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 12:16 PM

I would give them a hug and tell them I am here for you and let's talk! Maybe have their favorite snacks on the table.....but be calm and supportive!

bratmom3
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 12:17 PM

WELL OBVIOUSLY WITH CARE AND CONCERN, AND I WOULD HAVE AN APPT ALREADY MADE FOR A CHILD PSYCHOLOGIST IN YOUR AREA.  FAMILY COUNCELLING WOULDN'T BE A BAD IDEA EITHER.  AND MOST IMPORTANTLY MAKE THE CHILD FEEL VALIDATED!  THEY ARE ENTITLED TO THEIR FEELINGS AND YOU HAVE TO ACKNOWLEGE THEM AND DO ALL YOU CAN TO MAKE THINGS BETTER. 

jeswill
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 12:18 PM

Hug and offer an ear I agree with the fave snack just let them know you will not judge them you just want to help them with their problems

Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker
KaseyHickman
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 12:19 PM

I agree be really calm and talk to them about it. Show them your support. How old is your child? I would be really scared myself. But now you know that something is wrong and you can help to make things better. Good Luck hun

Quoting AllforColin:

I would give them a hug and tell them I am here for you and let's talk! Maybe have their favorite snacks on the table.....but be calm and supportive!

nurbabe82

Quoting bratmom3:

WELL OBVIOUSLY WITH CARE AND CONCERN, AND I WOULD HAVE AN APPT ALREADY MADE FOR A CHILD PSYCHOLOGIST IN YOUR AREA.  FAMILY COUNCELLING WOULDN'T BE A BAD IDEA EITHER.  AND MOST IMPORTANTLY MAKE THE CHILD FEEL VALIDATED!  THEY ARE ENTITLED TO THEIR FEELINGS AND YOU HAVE TO ACKNOWLEGE THEM AND DO ALL YOU CAN TO MAKE THINGS BETTER. 

DaniCalx2

As normal as possible. I would definitly keep an extra eye on this child. I would probably ask if they want to talk but they have to be comfortable enough to open up to me without me prodding. If you push it too far it could have adverse side effect.

hot_mommy007
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 12:29 PM

its not my kid....i did this to my mom when i was younger and im compring how he handled it to how other moms would

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

babybaby development
rockinmomto2
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 12:32 PM

When I was 15, I took an assload of pills, and slept for a really long time. My step dad found out, and called my mom (she was in Hawaii on business). She was on the next plane home, and put me in counseling for 2 years. I don't think she ever really talked to me about it, but I know that she cared!

milmiracle
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 12:32 PM

IDK, I would have to be in that position to know but certainly would concern me and I don't think I could wait for this kid to get home from school maybe I would pick him up in school and do something, again hard to tell. 

angelwings63050
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 12:39 PM

Quoting AllforColin:

I agree with this. I also think that you should reassure that whatever he/she needed to face, that you will face it together. If they don't want to talk right away don't force them. They need to be ready to come to you willingly. I also agree with setting up an appointment with your doctor who could also refer you to a phsycologist.  Don't hide your fear momma, he/she needs to know they are not alone!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)