Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Letting kids take baths on their own

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 12:17 PM
  • 14 Replies

Ok so I was wondering at what age you let your little ones play in the bath on their own. Not actually bathing themselves but letting them play in the bath by themselves?

by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 12:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
C_Caille
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 12:22 PM

DD would play with me near by at two. I was about 6 feet from her. Now she is three and she plays in there by her self forever it seems like. I am very big on teaching resposibility and so my 6 year old gets her self ready by herself everyday and she does a great job at it. My 3year old cleans herself and hair with out any help now.  I do a check over before she leaves the tub but I never have to do any more washing.

KaseyHickman
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 12:28 PM

My son is two and a half and I leave the bathroom every once in a while to put clothes away and stuff like that. He likes to play in the bath but he doesnt know how to wash himslef yet. I was just wondering if he was to young for me to let him play by himslef. I still check on him alot when I put clothes away but I just wanted to know what other moms thought

Liluckyducky7
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 12:29 PM

SD is 4 and we just started letting her play alone... My son is 2 and we don't let him play alone yet... 

Maybe I should add son doesn't yet b/c if I leave him he will try to follow me around the house wet and naked lol

lisafdoula
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 12:32 PM

My older two kids shower themselves.  They are 6 and 9.  My youngest is 5, she takes baths by herself.  I wash her hair and stuff, but I leave her to play.  I usually go in the next room and fold laundry while she plays FOREVER.  She's been doing that for about a year.

Riahsmom1
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 12:33 PM

DD is two and she doesn't play by herself.  I feel it is way too big a risk to leave her because kids can drown in a matter of seconds it seems!   Just think if they hit their head and you didn't hear; that could be a serious thing!  Plus my best friend is a nurse and she confirmed my thoughts on this issue.

timbysmommy
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 12:35 PM

I say around 3. I would worry they'd slip under the water and not be able to pull themselves up off their backs.

hazeleyes146
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 12:38 PM

mine is almost two and i never leave her alone she slips and slides all over the place and stands up so i never leave her she an active child lmao blowing kisses

vandjmom
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 12:42 PM

Well I am a freak about stuff like this. LOL My daughter is almost 7 and she is just now taking baths by herself. I would let her play before but I would always be in the room.

Loving one another is the motor that makes our bodies and souls run. If we live in the shell of our own loneliness we really have no one to blame for our misery but ourselves.

KaseyHickman
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 12:44 PM

Thank you all for your replies. I really appreciate it!

GabrielRiley
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 12:55 PM

My son is just about to turn 2 and he has been playing in the bath by himself for about a month now. He likes to take really long baths and play forever in there and I finally got to the point where I had stuff to do and I got tired of fighting him to get him out so he takes a bath in the master bathroom while I'm in the master bedroom folding clothes or cleaning up toys, since it is also his bedroom, I don't leave the bedroom but I don't hover over him the whole time either.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)