Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

REALLY REALLY TOUGH QUESTION

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 12:40 PM
  • 9 Replies

Poll

Question: Do you tell them?

Options:

Yes, they need to know.

No, it could scar them for life.

Wait until they are older.

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 29

View Results

Ok, so your eight year old child is playing with matches and lights a hotel on fire. inside, three people die from smoke inhillation. Do you tell your child that people died from his/her bad choice?

by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 12:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
bratmom3
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 12:41 PM

just curious,  what brought on this question?  it's kind of disturbing really

KaseyHickman
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 12:42 PM

I say yes they need to know what they did. At that age they understand what happened and they need to know what they have done.

LisaKelz
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 12:42 PM

I answered no. I dont think at 8 years old they could really understand what they had done & it would do more harm than good. That's just my opinion though.

bratmom3
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 12:44 PM

i agree 100%  at age 8, they know what they are doing, and they know what the consequences could be, they usually have the fire dept come and give school talks every year about it, and if that's something that they did, then yes, they do need to know, and if it scars them, well guess what??? it scarred the family of the 3 that were killed too, at least the child that started the fire is alive!

Quoting KaseyHickman:

I say yes they need to know what they did. At that age they understand what happened and they need to know what they have done.

worwalkerlds
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 12:45 PM
I think that 8 years old is old enough to know right from wrong. I would probably not go into all of the details, but I would let him know that it was wrong, and as a result of his actions something terrible happened. I would wait until he was older until I told him to go into it further!
Maddiesmommy123
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 12:45 PM

I voted for them finding out later....i'd think they would not take it well at that age.................

meduimchunk
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 12:46 PM

Me and Hubby were watching a movie where a kid caught a hotel on fire.

Quoting bratmom3:

just curious,  what brought on this question?  it's kind of disturbing really

starleigh21
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 12:47 PM

When I was with my ex bf, he had 3 kids. We went to visit my sister and stayed at her apt, then 8 year old was playing with a lighter and burning the wall in the bedroom closet, there were black marks from it. His dad made him knock on the other 9 apartment doors and made him apologize for risking their lives. Good learning lesson, he was definatly embarrassed.

I dunno what i would say to 8 year old that caused people to die. That could be quite traumatic for them to know they killed people. But, i'd also want them to know that they can't play with matches.

KRISSH
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 12:51 PM

WOW...WHAT DOES A 8 Y OLD DOING WTH MATTICHES??

IDK ..DEPENDS ON THE CHILD..

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)